Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 01-20-2009

Default Chassis heater question

As I've said, I'm in the early stages of a remodel and I'm questioning whether I want to remove the chassis heaters.

I will be installing a second battery bank and a decent (TBD) size inverter, plus my Redi-line works great and it's still available for the design. When we're on shore power we use one small portable quartz heater and it does an adequate job of keeping half the space real comfy. The LP heaters also work pretty well.

We don't expect to ever use the bird for really cold weather running or camping so leaving the (not refurbed yet) chassis heaters in just seems like a waste of space, time, energy and materials (to refurb).

Should I rip the chassis heaters out and put in fixed quartz heaters or use portables?
Any other ideas?
Any serious downside to pulling the heaters out?
Anyone need the parts?

I'd love to hear from people that have done something similar.

Regards,
GPSGary
Old 01-20-2009

I'd think you'd hurt your potential resale by taking out the heaters.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 01-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSGary View Post
As I've said, I'm in the early stages of a remodel and I'm questioning whether I want to remove the chassis heaters.

I will be installing a second battery bank and a decent (TBD) size inverter, plus my Redi-line works great and it's still available for the design. When we're on shore power we use one small portable quartz heater and it does an adequate job of keeping half the space real comfy. The LP heaters also work pretty well.

We don't expect to ever use the bird for really cold weather running or camping so leaving the (not refurbed yet) chassis heaters in just seems like a waste of space, time, energy and materials (to refurb).

Should I rip the chassis heaters out and put in fixed quartz heaters or use portables?
Any other ideas?
Any serious downside to pulling the heaters out?
Anyone need the parts?

I'd love to hear from people that have done something similar.

Regards,
GPSGary
How do you plan to provide additional cooling for the CAT engine when you 'rip the chassis heaters out' ?

You may be better off to sell your current coach to a qualified buyer who apprecites the complexities of the Wanderlodge and then buy a unit which has been gutted.

IMO those chassis heaters are one of the many reasons to own a BB.

Sorry, I have no direct experience with the removals you speak about...the addition of portable space heaters should not be too difficult.

What is a quartz heater??
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 01-20-2009
95 WB 42

Gary
DO not remove chassis heaters previous owner removed from our Bird
BAD mistake in my humble opinion!!
However if you choose to remove I would like them if at all possible?
Cost/ship??
Thanks Ed

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 01-20-2009

The thermostatically controlled chassis heat is near the top of the list of "things I love the most about our Bird"
Cape Cod,ma
Old 01-20-2009
Former Bird Owner

Doesn't the chassis heat keep you warm when you're driving? It's "free" heat -- and it also can be used to give additional cooling to the engine if you experience an overheating problem.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-20-2009
hturner 12

Gary
I would tend to agree with everyone else about keeping the heaters in and connected. I have had some cars that I had to run the heater to help the overheat problem. I would also agree with Dick some upgrades and refurbs add some value and others take a whole lot away. The electric ones on my bird are problematic.They are on my list is to either rebuild or replace them. I have not had the chance to run the chassis heaters.
Old 01-21-2009

Well, GPS, I'm thinking about ripping mine out too.
Had my bird for 6 years now and have never used them. We just fire up the gen set and go with either the new builtin electrics or a portable.
And we are out of Seattle.
I pulled out the electric heater under the couch and will be pulling out the over the road heater there this spring. We also have one under the credenza that I can get to and will pull it out the same time.
Altho I deeply respect others opinions, we feel that we will not be upgrading in our lifetime and will continue to live in and travel in our bird until we get to old.
We don't need to keep upgrading to be happy with our bird. We just improve it to our standards.
Resale value doesn't mean anything to us. Our bird will be 35 years old before we can't use it anymore and won't have much value then anyways.
This is why we put in new wood floors and other upgrades.
Works for us.
Think about your future with the bird and do what works for you.
Old 01-21-2009

Default Chassis Heater Question

Gary:
As you can see, there are a wide range of opinions. I know up here in the cold weather, I have driven the coach and needed the heat and it sure is nice to have. My generator still does not work, but I can keep toasty warm.

If I had the time and money right now, out the door the propane heaters would go and I would put in a Webasto or diesel fired system of some sort.

That would help with warm engine start, nice and toasty on the inside and you would have more cupboard space inside as well.

Bill Garamella, lets hear from you about this. I like your system.
Old 01-22-2009

Default Aqua Hot - engine heat

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, does the engine heat on a bird ('98 LX) run off the aqua-hot or is it electric? I was told to flip the breaker off on the engine heat as it would blow the 110/15 amp line I'm plugged into at the present time. The bus and generator both have started in 10 F weather but I don't think either is happy about it. I do have the aqua-hot running just to keep the bus from turning into a large brown ice cube. No water in the tanks and it does take a while for the dash heat to come up. Thoughts.