Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-13-2016

Default Transfer switch, Generator, or a/c problem. Help

Hello all,
This probably will be a easy fix once figured out. My problem is my transfer relay pops out and disconnects from generator power when I turn on my rear a/c only. I rear a/c will work on shore power and the transfer relay will stay engaged on shore power, but my issue is in connection with my generator. Has anyone experienced this problem. I'm guessing two options. 1st I have a problem with the generator and when it is under load on the rear a/c the generator looses enough voltage to cause the transfer switch to disengage. Or 2nd the rear a/c pulls to much power and causes the transfer switch to disengage.

Can the a/c draw to much power and cause this issue? Start capacitor?

Ideas thanks
1994 BMC (Sold)
Old 07-13-2016

Have you compared voltage between shore and generator power?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-13-2016

Here's is an update, my coach has/had two transfer switches. The second switch was to switch the inverter from shore/generator. I removed the second transfer switch and disableabled the inverter. ( upgrading anyway). The original transfer switch has actually been working, it is an old "power switch" by Todd engineering. So right now the rear a/c is still running, I may have a big pull on the rear compressor start up, I will have to see and have the capacitors checked.

I checked voltage both where at 120v each leg. Maybe the transfer switch was just bad, but it's only one year old, maybe these newer ones are sinsitive. Comment if this sounds familiar with any of your past experiences.
1994 BMC (Sold)
Old 07-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Here's is an update, my coach has/had two transfer switches. The second switch was to switch the inverter from shore/generator. I removed the second transfer switch and disableabled the inverter. ( upgrading anyway). The original transfer switch has actually been working, it is an old "power switch" by Todd engineering. So right now the rear a/c is still running, I may have a big pull on the rear compressor start up, I will have to see and have the capacitors checked.

I checked voltage both where at 120v each leg. Maybe the transfer switch was just bad, but it's only one year old, maybe these newer ones are sinsitive. Comment if this sounds familiar with any of your past experiences.
I had the same problem with mine. I also removed the 2nd transfer switch and removed the old inverter. Both AC's work like a champ now and have for 2 years. I haven't missed the inverter as we mostly camp in RV parks and if we are boondocking we use the generator. Just my 2 cents worth.
2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain