Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-03-2017

Default Charging batteries

My question is will the batteries still charge when the main switches on the coach and engine batteries are in the off position when plugged into 50 amp service!
Old 04-03-2017

Also on a 91WB does the heart charger/inverter trickle charge cycle on and off? Don't want to boil the batteries. Having battery issues.
Old 04-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
My question is will the batteries still charge when the main switches on the coach and engine batteries are in the off position when plugged into 50 amp service!
Depends on how your main battery disconnect switch and Heart battery cables are connected.

On my 90' WB, the negative battery cables are connected via 2 battery switches which allow me to disconnect the batteries to keep them from being discharged when I have to leave it disconnected from shore power for extended periods such as at a service facility when awaiting parts.

The charger neagative cable is connected to the coaches main negative post so when I switch off the battery switches, the charger is completely disconnected from the batteries.

I switch off the internal DC battery switch above the drivers seat which shuts off the internal DC systems such as lights, radio, bay lights, etc.

If you are having a battery issue, I would recommend disconnecting each battery fom the bank and load testing them separately to see if one has gone bad and acting as a load.
Or your old Heart system may be giving up the fight and needs to be replaced.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 04-03-2017

Just to add to what Barry said, which is rare for me to be able to do. My "old" Heart Inverter was just that. Only an inverter, not a charger. I had separate chargers. So You may want to tell us what you have or take a pic. Just as a side note I always leave mine plugged in to 50 amps and the bats are a perfect 14.3 all the time and I seldom put water in them, but I have a new Xantrex 3012 I put in last year to replace the old Heart, and the old Iota chargers that had a smart charge system.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-03-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Obviously the batteries have to be connected to the charges to charge, you can check with a cheap meter.
The Heart freedom 25 inverter/charger have a three stage charge I think, it will not hurt the batteries if left on and should keep them to proper levels, assuming they are all good batteries. One bad battery can change all that. You need to buy a cheap battery checker and check each battery if in question.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-03-2017

Like Jim stated above, these old inverter/chargers don't last forever and if they do not have the temperature compensating probe for the battery terminal, can overcharge the batteries to some extent.
When the temperature drops the battery needs to be at a higher voltage and when the temperature rises, the batteries need to be at a lower voltage, so having a battery charger which also measures the betteries temperature will assist in having the correct charge at all times.

Also, if you do find a bad battery or batteries, change ALL at the same time or you will degrade the new battery pretty quickly to the old ones level of charge.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 04-06-2017

I installed a 3 bank marine charger for the house and a 2 bank charge for the engine made by noco gen3mini picked up on amazon seams to work well
Old 04-06-2017

The newest technology in chargers uses a 4 stage charger. The 4th stage is "OFF" so as not to float them forever.
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com