Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 06-02-2009

Default 1985 PT-40 Entrance Door

My entrance door is "flimsey" at the top and bottom. The latch works well but I think I have some broken bracing inside the door frame. The bottom is the worst. The piano hinge is ok and not loose, but the bottom of the door does not seal tight and can be moved in and out very easily. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem. The door looks fine with no sign of damage. Wanted to check before tearing it apart. Thanks
Old 06-02-2009

Mine is kind of loose and whistles when I go down the road. Thought of putting some new weatherstripping around it to quiet things down. There is a good deal of air pressure pushing out on the door when you drive and have the windows open in the bedroom. After 24 years, this may have flared the upper and lower sections out slightly. As long as you keep the door deadbolted, you should be safe. I've put 65k miles on my coach with the door like it is and it has never came open while traveling. Adding some internal bracing and flattening the door may be a great idea though- please let us know how it works out if you decide to tear into it.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-02-2009

Default 1985 PT-40 Entrance Door

Mine does not whistle but when I shut the door I can see the bottom corner flex. Just don't think it should be that flimsey. I think I will take the inside cover off and look at the framing. It appears that over the years the movement you mentioned may have flexed and broken some of the inside stiffeners. I looked for door posts hoping to see inside framing pictures of the door but did not find any. Thanks
Old 06-03-2009
Forum Moderator

The door on my 94 is skinned with aluminium. After years off closing/slamming several of the aluminium skin welds broke and this let the door skin flop a little. The recommended BB fix was to apply a bead of urethane sealant and clamp together until cured. I did this two years ago and the fix has performed very well.
Old 06-03-2009

Default 1985 PT40 Entrance Door

Thanks Rob, Sounds like I have a similar problem. Thanks for the hint as to fixing the problem. I have excellent paint on my door and hated the thought of having to reweld and have the heat damage the paint. Good to hear that the sealant has held up for you. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2009

The fierglass skin was loose on one of my cargo doors until I glued it back on. My neighbor works at a car dealer and got some 3m panel bonding adhesive. I can get the exact name and part #. That is what it is made for and it works better than any silicone or similar stuff. (jb weld etc). I would reccomend that product if you find any loose places or voids that ned to be stiffened. It dries like a rock so be sure to get it right the first time

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 06-03-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
The fierglass skin was loose on one of my cargo doors until I glued it back on. My neighbor works at a car dealer and got some 3m panel bonding adhesive. I can get the exact name and part #. That is what it is made for and it works better than any silicone or similar stuff. (jb weld etc). I would reccomend that product if you find any loose places or voids that ned to be stiffened. It dries like a rock so be sure to get it right the first time
Max I believe BB recommended a more flexible adhesive because the entrance gets a lot of abuse and sometimes even slammed. The urethane gives a little and yet keeps everything in place. I think the welds failed due to their inflexibility. JMHO
Old 06-03-2009

Default 1985 PT40 Entrance Door

Thanks Max,

I will keep all of the ideals mentioned in mind when I find time to open the door up and locate the weak areas. I really appreciate everyone taking time to relate their experiences. Thanks All
Old 06-04-2009
Forum owner

S-hound,
please take pics and post them here,we love pics!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-20-2015

Default noise from door

I too have the whistling door, and it's driving the wife CRAZY!! Looking at the door when closed, it seems the top isn't quite tight against the frame, but can be pushed enough to make a good seal.I've already put new door seals all around. Seems to me if I were able to put some kind of fastener on the inside top corner of the door to pull it shut, it would take care of the problem. I was thinking along the lines of the kind of fastener used on ammo boxes, etc, that draw the top tight when you engage them. I could probably fabricate some kind of Heath-Robinson affair if necessary, but does anyone know if there is a commercial fastener that I could use?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!