Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-07-2018

Default Powertech generator cooling fan

We traveled from South Carolina to the Dallas area a couple of days ago to pick up our coach. We had left it here back in July to have a few repairs made (new slide seal, new hydraulic line, new AquaHot controller, and some lesser items). When they pulled the coach out of the shop yesterday afternoon, they started the generator so the a/c’s could run. After a few minutes, the a/c’s shut off and then the generator did as well. It appeared to be due to overheating. After checking several things, we discovered that the fan was not turning. Then when trying to reset the fan with the fan breaker, we found the breaker was “soft”. While getting the breaker out, the toggle switch came apart from the breaker itself. So now we need a new breaker. It also appears that the fan motor needs to be replaced. We were able to get it to turn, but very slowly. We will be calling to see if anyone nearby has them in stock, but could use some guidance as to where to look if nothing is available in the Dallas area.
VerleyBird
Old 09-07-2018

These AC fans are standard home air conditioner fans and most AC shops should have them in stock. Get the numbers off the fan motor and call around.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 09-07-2018

Give some consideration to replacing it with an 18 inch 3000 cfm dc radiator fan. Works great and is a an easy installation. If you are interested I or many others on the WOG can talk you thru it.
Old 09-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
We traveled from South Carolina to the Dallas area a couple of days ago to pick up our coach. We had left it here back in July to have a few repairs made (new slide seal, new hydraulic line, new AquaHot controller, and some lesser items). When they pulled the coach out of the shop yesterday afternoon, they started the generator so the a/c’s could run. After a few minutes, the a/c’s shut off and then the generator did as well. It appeared to be due to overheating. After checking several things, we discovered that the fan was not turning. Then when trying to reset the fan with the fan breaker, we found the breaker was “soft”. While getting the breaker out, the toggle switch came apart from the breaker itself. So now we need a new breaker. It also appears that the fan motor needs to be replaced. We were able to get it to turn, but very slowly. We will be calling to see if anyone nearby has them in stock, but could use some guidance as to where to look if nothing is available in the Dallas area.
Consider it could be just the capacitor or capacitors for the fan. Would be worth your while to check the capacitors first. Depending on your fan it could be two separate capacitors or one that is a dual capacitor. There is a start and run capacitor. If it is bulging, it is most likely bad. They are usually mounted right on the side of the motor in a little round metal cover. Just a thought before going through changing the entire motor.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 09-07-2018

I vote for checking the capacitor also. Mine would spin slow if I gave it a push. New capacitor fixed it cheap!
Old 09-07-2018

DC Fan wiring schematic and pictures if interested.

Use the metal shroud the AC fans attaches to, to mount the DC fan instead of trying to attach it directly to the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator DC Fan.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	57536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen DC fan.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	57537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen DC fan 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	57538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen DC fan relay.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	57539  
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 09-07-2018

Looks like the capacitor is bad. They’ve gone to Grainger to get one. If that gets it running, we can get home this weekend (hopefully). Thanks Jeff and Mike.

Still going to need to replace the fan breaker. Need to find out where I can get it. Powertech shows it on their website, so maybe. Will have to check when I get home. They tell me it will run with it like it is, just can’t reset it if it trips.
VerleyBird
Old 09-07-2018

Call around to some of the big electrical supply houses and you will probably find one is available. Get as much information off the old one and they can cross reference it.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 09-07-2018

New capacitor got it running.

Powertech has the breaker/switch on their website. Not sure if I need the 20amp, or the 30amp. If I know that, I can use the info to call around.
VerleyBird
Old 09-09-2018

Well, it lasted about 24 hours. Made it from Dallas to Tuscaloosa before it died again. Got home at 3:00am (decided to drive when it was a little cooler). Now I’ll need to sort it out myself. Left the “experts” behind in Dallas.

Seriously considering the automotive fan concept. Will need more direction once I find a fan. Electrical is not my thing.
VerleyBird