Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-01-2019

Thanks for the replies. Off to work now. Back to the bus tomorrow.
Fred
Old 06-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
when did the PMMI boxes come into play?
Looks like '87.
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=17276
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com
Old 06-01-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
Looking thru the bluebook this AM, ( dog needed to go out @ 05:30, so much for sleeping in until 07:00 ) and I find that the pages skip from 10-1 to 10-8. I believe the missing pages should contain info on the electrical wiring and fuses. Tried looking in the old files and can't find any info on dash and ign wiring. Specifically looking for fuse locations and ign, dir light wiring for my 1987FCSB. My dir lights are erratic, sometimes work sometimes not.
Oh ya, dog is now back in bed, some things just aren't fair !!! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Try using the Site Search feature. In the Google Custom Search box type in 87 FC file/manual. My not have a complete manual but help will be found there.
Or you can scroll down the Home Page, click “Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE” and follow the path to the manuals area. The 1987 FC manual in the WOG database does have the drawings section. NOTE: There’s some 1987 Pusher information in that 1987 FC file but the FC information is there - keep scrolling.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 06-01-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2019

Found in the files that the pmmi box is in the left access panel. Is that the overhead panel above the driver ?
Old 06-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
Found in the files that the pmmi box is in the left access panel. Is that the overhead panel above the driver ?
The one your looking for that operates the driving lights and the signals is at the drivers feet. You need to remove the grill, then the panel in front of the driver, the one with the air vent in it. When you take it off you’ll have a air line to remove from the air cylinder that opens and closes the vent.
The box that controls the signals is the one one the right as you look at it, but try and follow the wires back to the turn signal stalk, they should be a bunch of different colors, if you look in that thread that’s was linked by Chap, you can see the colors that go into the box in a picture I had posted. If you need a picture of it I may have one I can post.
Jeff K has a line and on the relays that go in the box he had his replaced, I just soldered in a pigtail socket and a plug in relay.
To check the box you can leave it hanging out the front once you open it up, open the drivers window and grab a step stool to operate the signal and head lights,(much easier than running back and forth inside the coach, the driving lights only operate with the headlights on( you probably already know that).
Old 06-02-2019

Opened up the front access panel today and found the pm mi boxes. If I manually close the contacts on the first relay on each side The other relays on that side close and I get directionals. One side left and the other side right.
At that point I had to quickly close things up due to thunderstorm. Won't be able to get back to it for a few days.
It would seem that the pm mi box isn't getting the needed signal from the dir. switch. Does It get ground or power from the switch. Ran out of time before I could get a meter or test light on it. The wiring changes colors somewhere under the dash panel. All the pm I plugs are tight and no corroded or burnt connections.
Old 06-02-2019

LI don’t remember which relay does what but you shouldn’t have any trouble figuring it out. When the headlights are on one extra relay will operate that’s the one for the cornering light one relay is for just the cornering light. I am 99% sure the white wire from the pmmi box is the ground. The turn signal stalk is butt spliced to the wires that run into the pmmi box. You can follow the wires from the turn signal stalk if you need to figure out which is which.

This is a great schematic for our vintage coach. John Wyatt posted this to help me it’s a great resource(all hail John), thanks John.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...hassis%202.PDF

There is also a bus bar over the house batteries drivers side that should be labeled above the bar for function. It may help knowing about that one for troubleshooting. If you lien troubleshooting your going to let be your Bird.
Old 06-02-2019

The PMMI box came into play when Blue Bird added the tilt/telescopic steering column with the built in turn signal switch (1987). I believe Blue Bird had a problem adapting the bus wiring to this steering column and went to PMMI to solve the problem. This box has 8 little relays in it. They are available and replaceable. I would also check if anyone has added LED lights to any of your turn signals. I found the system to be sensitive to load. I have LED's on the side signals but not the front or back. May need to add an electronic flasher or resistors for all LED's to work.

Once you get the box out you can test it with a 12V power supply. Not the easiest thing to test, but you can watch each relay activate when you apply power directly to it.

The turn signal switch itself may also be a problem, though I have never heard of one go bad. There were a whole bunch of them on ebay a little while back and many people bought them. They were also found on Prevost buses. Adapting the wiring back would be required for replacement though.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 06-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunzelj View Post
The PMMI box came into play when Blue Bird added the tilt/telescopic steering column with the built in turn signal switch (1987). I believe Blue Bird had a problem adapting the bus wiring to this steering column and went to PMMI to solve the problem. This box has 8 little relays in it. They are available and replaceable. I would also check if anyone has added LED lights to any of your turn signals. I found the system to be sensitive to load. I have LED's on the side signals but not the front or back. May need to add an electronic flasher or resistors for all LED's to work.

Once you get the box out you can test it with a 12V power supply. Not the easiest thing to test, but you can watch each relay activate when you apply power directly to it.

The turn signal switch itself may also be a problem, though I have never heard of one go bad. There were a whole bunch of them on ebay a little while back and many people bought them. They were also found on Prevost buses. Adapting the wiring back would be required for replacement though.
I put in led taillights and side lights. You are correct, needed to switch the flasher to a electronic one, other than that no issues.

There’s another thread on here where Chap rebuilt Randy’s PMMI box with relays and wire, awesome. He has a drawing of the box he built on that thread, if you need it I can search it down.
Old 06-17-2019

Default Directionals fixed

Ok, 1987FC. Directional s were inop. Looked at the pm mi box and found a couple of burned traces so I searched the site and found the posts with the replacement for the pmmi box with Bosch style relays by Chap Enfinger and John Wyatt. ( two items of note. I got 3 relays with the bus so I ordered a dozen more, same manuf, in order to have some spares. The color coding for the wires is different on the pigtails of the old and new plugs, relays are the same. On my bus one of the wires for the turning clearance light is kind of an off white not light blue as it was for Chap. All the other wire color codes were the same as John's excellent schematic. )
I wired up the relays to the bus wiring and imagine my surprise when I got no dir lights. Rechecked all my wire connections and started testing for power.
Found no power to the white/orange wire with ign on. Pulled ign switch and found it has been rewired (with all blue wires ) to a 70 amp relay.
Rather than pull dash apart I ran a new fused power wire when ign is on to the white/orange wire and voila, success.
Thank you Chap and John. You made a disaster workable. WOG is the best!!