Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-14-2019

Default 6V92 Exhaust valve clearances, injector heights and injector rack

So today I pulled the rocker covers and went through the exhaust valve clearances and injector heights. I also adjusted the injector rack control levers.

The exhaust valve clearance was not that bad. I have 9b90 injectors and the engine is an '83 model year, so the injector height was 1.464". I used a caliper to set the injector heights, since I do not have the Detroit height tool. Once I had the height set, I put a dial indicator on it to help me keep from changing it while I was tightening the jamb nut. It worked well, I was able to adjust the push rod to compensate for tightening the jamb nut. Everything looks pretty good under there, it was quite clean so that makes me happy.

I have noticed some pretty good black smoke when I take off from a start. I think the adjustment of the driver side rack was a bit out of wack. I noticed that the adjustment screws for the injector control levers on the driver side seemed to have more threads showing, which seemed out of place. I went through the adjustment procedure the first time and I ended up with the same thing, more threads showing on the driver side. When I pushed the speed control lever I noticed that the injector control rack levers where in different positions on the drivers side compared to the passenger side. So I went back to the manual and noticed that I missed a step to check from side to side with both fuel rods connected. I went back and re-adjusted the driver side and it was much closer to the passenger side this time.
So I am guessing someone missed this same step in the past and the two sides have been out of sync. I would think this could be part of the source of the black smoke. I guess I will see once I get it all back together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	64126

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	64127

Name:	IMG_3029 (2).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	64138

Name:	IMG_3042 (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	64139

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 09-15-2019

Here's a video of setting the exhaust valves and injector heights:

https://youtu.be/7rz0MQ0vcWQ

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

Old 09-15-2019

Nice, it would be good to have the tool for doing this. I was going to look into making one for when I do my injectors. I saw one for sale on eBay and there's no way I'm paying that much!
Old 09-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Nice, it would be good to have the tool for doing this. I was going to look into making one for when I do my injectors. I saw one for sale on eBay and there's no way I'm paying that much!
Yea, I have been looking and have not been even able to find one for sale right now, not to mention how much they are... I just noticed my younger brother just commented on my video about making one, he is a machinist so I am sure we can come up with something. I need to make a trip down to see him and we can come up with something. The last time I was there, my other brother who is a machinist helped and made a nice cap for my fuel filler.

Name:	IMG_2493 (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	64149

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

Old 09-15-2019

Nice! I have all the CNC gear here to make the stuff, too. I have Jakes on mine and the regular tool won't fit without taking them off. Maybe there's a way around that, who knows.
Old 09-16-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
I have noticed some pretty good black smoke when I take off from a start.
Mine dumps lots of black smoke when starting from a dead stop. There are a couple of "throttle delay" systems Detroit implemented to delay the throttle to allow time for the boost pressure to build. One used an oil operated system and one used a boost pressure operated system. A lot of folks disabled them as it really delayed getting moving from a dead stop. It takes long enough without it

Yours has the oil operated system. It is between the two forward cylinders on the street side. It has a lever that slows the advance of the throttle as the oil drains out of the mechanism.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-20-2019

There was a video posted of someone doing a valve adjustment on a Manual Detroit 2 stroke and they adjusted the front half of the valve bridge instead of using the push rod adjustment which would seriously degrade each cylinder as it unbalances the opening of the 4 valves.
He will now have to go back and correct each valve bridge before he can redo the actual exhaust valve setting using the push rods adjusting nut and lock.

Setting the injectors with a caliper will get you close as long as you use a dial indicator gauge to measure the exhaust valve to ensure it is fully open before starting or it too will be wrong. Having the front exhaust valve set different from the rear valves will cause a serious inaccurate setting of the injector timing.
When these are properly set up, then you can disconnect each side of the rack to set the injectors push rod.

Be careful watching some of these YouTube videos as they can get you in some serious trouble.

Just saying.

I will bring my Snap-on M-3558 gauge and valve tools to WOG for you to measure if you want.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 09-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
There was a video posted of someone doing a valve adjustment on a Manual Detroit 2 stroke and they adjusted the front half of the valve bridge instead of using the push rod adjustment which would seriously degrade each cylinder as it unbalances the opening of the 4 valves.
He will now have to go back and correct each valve bridge before he can redo the actual exhaust valve setting using the push rods adjusting nut and lock.

Setting the injectors with a caliper will get you close as long as you use a dial indicator gauge to measure the exhaust valve to ensure it is fully open before starting or it too will be wrong. Having the front exhaust valve set different from the rear valves will cause a serious inaccurate setting of the injector timing.
When these are properly set up, then you can disconnect each side of the rack to set the injectors push rod.

Be careful watching some of these YouTube videos as they can get you in some serious trouble.

Just saying.

I will bring my Snap-on M-3558 gauge and valve tools to WOG for you to measure if you want.
I should bring some new injectors to WOG and you can show us all how to change them!
Old 09-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Mine dumps lots of black smoke when starting from a dead stop. There are a couple of "throttle delay" systems Detroit implemented to delay the throttle to allow time for the boost pressure to build. One used an oil operated system and one used a boost pressure operated system. A lot of folks disabled them as it really delayed getting moving from a dead stop. It takes long enough without it

Yours has the oil operated system. It is between the two forward cylinders on the street side. It has a lever that slows the advance of the throttle as the oil drains out of the mechanism.
I believe mine is actually the fuel modulator run off the turbo boost. It is located in between the left #2 and #3 cylinders on the curb side.

Here is the fuel modulator:

Name:	IMG_3032 (2).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	64242

Here is the engine layout, it is right hand rotation:

Name:	IMG_3025.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	64243

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

Old 09-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post

Just saying.

Yes, I realized the video was wrong. Here is a video of the bus grease monkey having his head gone through by a good detroit guy:
https://youtu.be/Tw6r6bwLWF0

Yes if you can bring your snap on gauge that would be awesome. I will try to remember to bring my caliper so I can check the specs on it. I am sure my brothers and I can come up with something that will work with an off the shelf dial indicator.

Thanks for the tip on using the dial indicator to tell if the injector is fully depressed, the manual does not tell you that....

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740