Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 09-12-2019

Question Cost for a buff

I had a detailer guy come out today and look at my coach. He pulled up in a nice black older Caddy DTS with properly cared for paint.

My old bus needs a deep cleaning, by hand, at a minimum. It should have a buff due to some staining from water streaking down through the drip rails over the years and the lighter tan color is a bit chalky, but there seems to be lots of good paint underneath. There are a million little flaws all over the place and the paint is flaking off the roof, but this should be enough to fool people from a distance.

This is a stop-gap measure until I get it painted in a year or two - we are enjoying using it more now than ever before, so I don't want to stop that for a couple months for paint yet.

He came back with with $25/ft and 2 days to get it done ($875). It includes polishing the wheels. Wash, clay bar, one-step paint correction (must mean buffing wheel w/compound), wax, and wheels. There is no way in hail my shoulders would survive something like this, I will never ever do this myself. He could start on it in a week from Monday, too.

I think the clay bar thing is a little nuts for 35 year old paint, but maybe I should just let him do it? Maybe I should just paint the front and the roof above the drip rails and replace all the reflective side strips? And not get it all painted? My wife would drop an egg if she knew I spent this much on something like this, but she has no idea how much the paint job will cost yet, either.
Old 09-12-2019
Forum owner

I have never done a clay bar thing,on anything.
But,i have used corn starch on a soft rag to wipe wax off,and man does that every leave a car smooth,kinda like a clay bar,i guess.
I had a girl that worked for me that used to detail my black (dumb color) truck,the corn starch took the wax off and left that truck shiny and slick.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-12-2019
Forum owner

I have some guys here,a block away that will do the buff and wash and wax for 4 bucks a foot i think.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-12-2019

The quality in a “wash & buff” shop is how long it will last, liquid wax applied with a rag, maybe 3-4 months, the job badandy is talking about will last maybe 1 + years. Pick your poison)
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 09-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
The quality in a “wash & buff” shop is how long it will last, liquid wax applied with a rag, maybe 3-4 months, the job badandy is talking about will last maybe 1 + years. Pick your poison)
You could come out to Q this year and take advantage of one of the places in Yuma or Eloy? At least the price would be right.

I tend to agree that results with the quickie slop-it-on & buff-it-off joints are variable at best. Like many other things, if you DIY it you’ll be certain it was done right. Have you seen this thread Andy? - https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=446963 (my post #4). The job I did late last year has now spent the entire Summer up in N AZ (no Bird House) and the coach is still super shiny. I’ll be giving it its annual CSI treatment this Fall. Yours is likely not Clear Coated, but I’ll bet you could get excellent results with the CSI stuff that I used also. What I did took me 3 days part-time and the results were/are mirror-like. Plus the process I’m talking about would last, at least as long or longer than your high $$$ job.

Lastly, if you plan on a complete paint job in the near future, have you seen the High Gloss Floor Polish process? -
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=96462.0
https://youtu.be/cGmGeofrGvo
https://youtu.be/zapZqJDpTrU

Pre BB, I did this to my inherited 1989 SOB and it looked fabulous. About a year later when I decided to sell, I updated the finished with one or two coats and it looked just like it did the first time. Although the SOB was fiberglass gelcoat, it also works on painted metal. Something to consider depending on your situation with the paint and when you plan on completely redoing it.

Last edited by NoGas; 09-12-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 09-12-2019

My old man had a warehouse and for a time he rented it to a detail shop guy. They did wash and wax, tint, stereo gear and such. They also did the deep cleaning stuff. I watched one use a clay bar and it came off black and could see he difference in the paint. Not trying to sell anybody on anything and **** if I pay that kind of money either for paint I intend to have sanded off in a year when I get the coach painted. But the clay is a real thing and it does what they say. deep cleans. If you got newer paint it might be worth it. It helps it last longer from what I remember.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 09-12-2019

Clay bar removes contaminants on the paint. Buff removes the paint/clearcoat and often bumps right over sap et.c. that a clay bar would get. A good (3M) clay bar is amazing. A bad one is just bad.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 98k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 09-13-2019

I’ve clayed a car before, black paint, really does what it says. It’s work but doesn’t take as long as you think it would. Doing a whole Bird, not sure how long that would take. The detail guy is doing the job right, I’m sure your bird will look shiny. Kinda pricey but your guy has to buy his cheese curds, all the guys need in Az is salsa and chips.
Old 09-13-2019

Just paid a guy that does this stuff in the rv park. Paid him $500 to do the bus and car.
He used the clay bar on the bus and some stuff called Butter Cream on the Hummer.
Car came out great and bus not so great.
Have had the front wrapped 3 years ago and it still looks new and shiney.
Checked with a guy I know that does wraps for a living and he wants 5k to do the whole bus!
Bottom tan is ok, it's just the upper brown that I don't like.
Will have it buffed when we get to Q this winter.
If this doesn't work, will probably wrap the top third.
Old 09-13-2019

Old detailer trick, use a non ammonia aerosol glass cleaner for your clay bar lube rather than a quick detailer spray. Works better. Can demonstrate at WOG.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 98k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others