Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM

Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM Post your questions or comments here about your favorite campground, RV park, rest area, Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot where you like to get your shut eye, or WHERE TO STAY AWAY FROM.

Site Search:

Old 10-07-2019

Default Arches or MOAB camping recommendations?

I’m heading up to Arches and Canyonland this week on short notice. Does anyone know any good places to camp ? I see Moab is the town nearby. No way am I getting a spot at the devils garden. I see a few BLM campgrounds, Goose Island is one. I only have a few days so I was thinking having a base would be good and daytripping with the towed is the plan. Any info or recommendations would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I’m heading up to Arches and Canyonland this week on short notice. Does anyone know any good places to camp ? I see Moab is the town nearby. No way am I getting a spot at the devils garden. I see a few BLM campgrounds, Goose Island is one. I only have a few days so I was thinking having a base would be good and daytripping with the towed is the plan. Any info or recommendations would be great. Thanks.
Portal RV Resort - Moab. A bunch of birds stayed there in 2011.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Goose Island is the first camp site, cell phone coverage, but hard to get a site, just continue numerous dry camp sites along the river for miles,
the local camp grounds are friendly for showers, dump & water.
There are also a few water & dump places available in Moab.
Old 10-07-2019

Depends on your hookup preference. Need FHU? Two years ago we stayed at Portal for a couple nights. It’s a typical close-in to Moab commercial resort with pull-thru’s and it’s close to the Arches NP entrance off Hwy 191. For a quickie 2-3 day visit this CG would be a good choice. Off Grid ok? - lots of places. You mentioned Devils Garden CG which is deep inside Arches NP. Stayed a week there and it was spectacular! Sadly, the only way to do that is with 6 mo advance reservations. Pretty basic and 20 miles outside of town but Horsethief CG is well away from the Moab tourist traps and close to Canyonlands NP. Yet, it’s close enough for toad tours of the whole area. Get the AllStays app and search the area. Lots of Off-Grid BLM areas, as Bill mentions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF0474E3-E9D7-431F-BC5D-A8BE54EE9DF1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	64552   Click image for larger version

Name:	736F7D0B-0577-4EB6-B714-95516AE1394E.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	64553   Click image for larger version

Name:	751EC2C2-363C-4B78-BEFF-BEC2D2B8630C.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	64554   Click image for larger version

Name:	5C58002B-7A9E-4CDE-A6CA-A0EE67324322.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	64555   Click image for larger version

Name:	498C8C8C-A92B-47F0-8D30-BA37FFC874FD.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	64556   Click image for larger version

Name:	E995A27A-0902-4C1D-BA29-F69C048C72FD.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	64557  
Old 10-07-2019

Funny you are going to Moab on short notice. We found out just a week ago that we will be at the gem and mineral show this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It will be at the Old Spanish Trail Arena on the south side of town. If you get a chance stop in and say hi.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 10-08-2019

Great pictures Van. We are fine boondocking, I like the more rustic scenic campgrounds but being short on time it would be good to have a spot to pull into. I’ll give Allstate’s a try, I use RV Parky. I used to use All Stays I don’t remember why I stopped, maybe it was IOs support?

Kevin we’d love to come out to the show. My son love rocks and minerals. We were just down at the White Sands open house for the Trinity site, and went to the Mineral Museum at NM tech. We have also done a few trips specifically to rockhound. I’m sure we could learn something from coming out to the show. If we don’t get out of town for some reason we will definitely come out. I’m sure you already know Ballon Fiesta is going right now, should bring extra folks out to the show.
Old 10-08-2019

I meant we will be at a show in Moab this weekend. It's interesting that you were at the Trinity site as I just picked up some trinitite to sell. It's sand from the trinity site that was turned to glass in the atomic blast.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the clarification, I clearly need to clean my glasses.
We will for sure try to make it out.
I had my eye out for some Trinitite, didn’t see a piece.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Ridley View Post
... I just picked up some trinitite to sell. It's sand from the trinity site that was turned to glass in the atomic blast.
Many years ago, part of the AF’s highly restricted once every 4 years tour included a guide scraping away some of the sandy soil and using a Geiger Counter to show how “hot” it was. The clicking counter would go wild as it neared the fused sand grains or what we now call Trinitite. He then turned to everyone, laughed and said “Don’t worry it’s safe here for short periods” . OK Kev, I’ve heard of vendors selling “Hot” merchandise but...

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/ph...phys/bomb.html
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I saw quite a few places where stones had been picked out of the soil.

This one guy had a gieger counter and was taking and recording measurements from around the site, just a nerdy pursuit I think.
He measured the footing that remained from the tower and the soil right next to it which was 100cpm. He said his granite countertops are 25cpm. We didn’t linger in the fenced area, just walked to the memorial and were out.

Hot merchandise, lol.