Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-27-2010

Wink

I have 49000 miles on it. I brought it a year ago with 36000 miles from mike dufrene in abita springs louisiana.
Old 07-27-2010
davidmbrady

Jeffrey,

Just for a point of reference, a reman head for my DD Series 60 is $1800.00.
Old 08-20-2010

Jeffrey,
I have been in Alaska for awhile trying to stay cool. It is around 105 degrees at my house in Texas. Averaged around 65 in Alaska. Boy, sorry to hear you are joining the ISL 400 blown head gasket club. I wish to congratulate you on buying Mike Dufrene’s M380 though. That was probably the most well kept and most fixed up M380 I have ever seen or know about. He kept that unit it top notch shape and he and I fought CCW for years to get them to fix many issues on our coaches. But no matter how well he kept that coach up none of us knew about the defective head gasket Cummins installed in our engines. It is becoming very obvious that the head gasket is most definitely defective. I just spent $5,275.24 to have mine fixed.

The problem seems to be showing up somewhere between 40k to 70k miles. From my research and talking to experts here is what I believe is happening. The fire ring or head gasket had a defect behind the number 6 cylinder or was installed incorrectly. The fire ring gets a very small crack in it and allows hot exhaust to escape slowly at first. As the problem gets worse a small grove is worn in the head and the hole gets bigger. Eventually you may see a coolant leak which I did and hear a ticking noise which turns into a loud puffing noise as the cylinder hits top. As in most of our cases by the time it gets bad enough to hear and you know you have a problem the head is already damaged enough to where it can not be reused. They charged me $2,119.96 for a “refurbished” head. You can not get a new one. If it was me I would be extremely sure you have “NO” head damage behind the #6 cylinder before I reused the same head.

Now, with the help of Dennis Torres we have run this issue up the flag pole all the way to Cummins Corporate headquarters. So far I personally have got no written response from anybody at Cummins. Dennis has gotten some very minor responses to indicate they got his letters. The only good news is I have received a phone call while in Alaska from the Southeastern Technical Support person who is over all the Cummins repair centers in that area which includes the one where I had mine fixed at. The fact that he called me means they read our letters. I talked to him for a good 20 minutes or so and he would never admit to any “known” problem with the head gasket but he was very sympathetic to the fact that it looked like several of us had this problem. Let me say that he is definitely now aware that something is wrong with our ISL 400 engines after I got through talking to him. He did sound like he was going to check into it further but he was very firm on the fact that the day the 5 years of warranty is up that is it. Said that is 3 years longer than they normally warranty and engine. He also gave me a ray of hope that I may get some relief on my repair but didn’t say how much. As you might no while at Cummins they left my coach unlocked and over 30 thousand dollars worth of damage and electronics were stolen. This might be helping my cause on getting some relief on my repair but I don’t know yet. An apology from someone at Cummins would sure go a long way!

If you have this problem write Cummins and use me as an example and the other people who have had this problem. I sure hope not but all the M380’s may have bad head gaskets. Good luck Jeffrey and let me know if I can help.
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 08-20-2010

It would be interesting to see how many engines have that "White Film" in the cooling systems. It is not uncommon for a service bulletin to be posted, and that's the fix (for now) I have seen them for GM, The castings today are not the same as they used to be.
I wonder what they would have done if you had gone that extra 200 miles?
Old 08-20-2010

Wow. I haven't had time to visit the forum in a while, but I'm beginning to wonder if those of us who have had this problem may see it again one day. I certainly hope its just a defective gasket or poor installation and not become something that reoccurs.

The reason this occurs to me is that we have 90 something thousand miles on the coach and, over the next 10 weeks we'll put about 10K miles on it. I expect we'll be crossing the 100K mile mark soon (i wonder if we'll be the first to 100K miles).
At some point in the near future, we'll will have traveled 40-70K miles since the repair and wonder if we'll see this again. I certainly hope not. I really do feel that all M380 owners will deal with this at some point

J.L. Haney
2004 M380 D/S
Tag axle? We don't need no stinkin tag axle!
Auction Consulting Experts, LLC
Acebid.com
Lakeland, FL
Old 08-20-2010

Engine manufactuers do not do the lenghtly Research and development, that they once did. With EPA standards and requirements to now get better mileage, they have to keep moving all of the time.
The public is now the R&D.
Old 08-21-2010
Administrator

We met this owner Tom, installed an ISL 400 / Allison in an FC.
I seem to remember Bill H , Curt, & Dan have seen this Bird.
someone may want to contact this owner.
See pictures post #28, There are more pic's on this or on the Ernie yahoo Forum.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...repower&page=3
Old 08-21-2010

This is just general information and may/may not applyhttp://www.relianceparts.com/Bulletins/1.20-1.htm
http://www.fcocrv.org/archived_files..._bulletins.htm
This is a post from another forum.
Based on the way Cummins reacted to the problem on some of their ISL engines of installing an idiot light warning that the engine is about to come apart I vote for the Cat. We do have a Cummins but I sure wouldn't buy another from a company that installs an idiot light instead of ficing a manufacturing defect. JMHO
Old 10-24-2011

I'm a new member and just read this post. Wanted to get on record that my head gasket blew just over the five year mark at @ 70k miles. Cummin's paid for head gasket and some labor @ $400.00 total. I got to pay the rest. Same thing around number 6 cyl. Obviously there is a defect.
Old 04-07-2012

Chalk up another ISL with a head gasket problem. Head will be pulled on Monday.

Doug Ralston
'03 M-380
Roswell, GA