Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory

Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory If you have a comment or a question about the Wanderlodge factory, ask them here.

Site Search:

Old 10-20-2009

Smile

If I am there for repair work to be done by Karl, then I think the use of the Nest should be free, because Karl will recoup it in the repair fees and would encourage people to use his repair service. If I stay after repair is complete, then I should pay. Many repair places allow you to stay at no charge while repairs are being made.

I only used the Nest for two reasons. For repairs at the factory and as a one night stopping place on the way somewhere else. I would drive the 15 or so miles out of the way, because it gave me a chance to interact with other Bird owners.

I suggest the fees should be free for coaches having work done there, $10.00for a one night stay, $15.00 per night for additional nights and a max stay of 10 days. Then evaluate if the revenue/repair business is adequate after 6 months. Karl could give a voucher for the stay, if that would simplify the book keeping. Karl's manager should have the power to modify the 10 day rule or the perogative of issuing a voucher for special circumstances. Keep the guide lines simple and trust the judgement of the manager.

Whatever we do, lets use the KISS method.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 10-20-2009
Forum owner

Kurt.
I have to admit your right.
Ft Valley is not someplace you would go visit without a good reason.
Its just for some of us that have been going there for so **** long,and it has that certain attraction (like daytona beach,why would you ever want to go there?)to us old bird owners as the birthplace of wanderlodge.
Plus,i like Karl,and he wants us to use the place.
Its a good private "club" for us bird owners.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-20-2009
Forum owner

Richard,you have good points,what we want to control is someone coming and staying for the summer,free!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-20-2009
Can't re-member

A great way to sum it up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Kurt.

Its a good private "club" for us bird owners.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-20-2009
Forum owner

John Stiles,your my first pick.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-20-2009

John Stiles for the board

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-20-2009
pgchd

double post by typo

Last edited by pgchd; 10-20-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2009
pgchd

My input:
- We've used the nest for the past 5 years, twice a year, on our way out and back from our 5-6 month walk abouts. Yes, thats our bird at the nest in our avatar, albeit very small.
- There are many people who "pass by" on there way south, or north when you are doing the snowboard thing, its a good stopover and a "quiet" place to meet your fellow "bird kin" and feel like a "flock", and catch up with old friends, have mini rallys. This is the "draw" for us and we miss the ability to do this!
- There are, "things to do", Rob mentioned some, Peach ice cream and pecans, touring the farms, discount shopping malls for those who like that, and believe it or not, down the road a piece a "country mile", a LONG country mile is a pair of brothers who "salvage" everything and anything you could possibly think of or saw in your childhood and make "art" out of some of it (don't start drooling just yet Randy ), they are "very proud" of their stuff, but I never tried to negotiate with them either. YOu are much better at it then I!!! Very fun to window shop there and reminisce of your childhood. Muriel's is there, great OEM work, but as Randy said previously stated, she is also very Proud of her and her sons work. And for those of us who like to shop at "GOODmans and WILLiams", a few pretty large stores / distribution centers there. Campingworld is also 20 minutes from there just of I-75 to window shop or pick up that unique RV thingee you need.
- While there we always either bought parts or had service done. Since Karl wants to do service, if he can hire any of the old retired/ displaced bird guys, and can keep his overhead low enough to be competitive, he could build a nice service business on the snowbirds, like me... I've seen [plenty of them there the past 5 years. We used to order parts ahead of time, or bring them with us, and let BB do the install.
- Fort Valley is not for everyone, it is not a destination. But what makes us great and strong is our differences so to some , this is not "touring" and that is fine. However, when "touring" the east coast or snowbirding, why not stop in and see where your baby was born. You can still go across the street to see the school bus facility and who knows, maybe Karl will offer factory tours, they had a lot of express buses on the line the last year or two and that was also fun to see being built and marvel at....those massive machines in all stages off assembly!
- As for running the campground, Randy you used to own one so you know all too well the trials and tribulations, insurance, freeloaders, maintenance, ......etc. We also experienced "freeloaders"( the same ones) the past 5 years at the nest who stayed too long and were "pigs", no names.... but Donna and I used to call them the "peaches".. They boon docked most of the time when not at the nest, always bought peaches by the box, and skinned them in the clubhouse leaving a bloody mess, never cleaning up the club house after themselves , so bad they attracted roaches. Used the clubhouse as their own personal home kitchen and house monopolizing the entire clubhouse as if it was there own. We used to clean up after them when they went touring as we were EMBARRASSED to call them our brethren and did not want the cleaning staff to have to endure that kind of mess! Then they had the gall to call out the cleaning crew in front of us one day and complain about the roaches and the owner better do something to fix the problem!
- I tell this story for a point, the point and my suggestion, run the nest as a regular commercial campground, charge by the day, be competitive in rates, if you get service offer a discount off the rate and be flexible to the service customer ( like 2 free days or something like that), BUT EVERYONE PAYS SOMETHING!
- We were in a very large dealerships campground this past summer (multiple facilities) for a few weeks as a stopover destination, this place had over 400 sites and sells everything from popups to Prevosts. They changed how they run the campground to "above" everyone pays, discounts for service and if you bought a unit, they "comped" you time for set up, training, etc, the numbers of days based on the price tag. I asked the semi retired owner / partner, who came out of retirement to help run the place during the hard times to help the team out, why he went from a "club" free model to the model I described above, he simply said given the hard economic times, we couldn't afford to run the campground any more that way.
- So these are my reasons and suggestions, some real life recent examples, good luck to the new board members and whatever you choose, if the nest has reasonable day rates, we will go at least twice a year again!

Last edited by pgchd; 10-20-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2009

I'll second what Pete's saying. You have to charge for the service, otherwise people don't put any value in it and it will be treated as such. Some of the WORST patients I've got are the ones with no copay. They don't value my time, my staff's time, nothing. All you have to do is charge them. Even if it's something stupid like $2/night! You've now started attaching a value to the service. Previously, the value was having the ability to get work done while there. That will take time to rebuild if the new owner even wants to go in that direction.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-20-2009
Campground Owner

The bad part is someone has to be there to collect the $2
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W