Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-01-2010

Default Generator-auto start, auto stop

The following paragraph is from the web site of Xantrex Technology Inc.

Batteries last longest if you only discharge to 50% of battery capacity and then recharge as soon as possible after the discharge. Although you can discharge a battery much further than this, you will begin to decrease the battery's cycle life. A good deep cycle battery might deliver 1500 (or more) discharges to the 50% level. By increasing the discharge to 95% you can reduce the cycles to a hundred or so.

If you agree with this paragraph, then I would assume that I should auto start at 12.1v or 50% of battery capacity.

On the other end is auto stop. It is my understanding that as the battery approaches 95 and 100% charge the generator has to run longer to achieve this charge.

If I am charging my batteries on my generator, at what point do I want to set my auto stop so that I do not continue to run my generator but do not decrease my battery capacity by turning the generator off to soon. My auto stop is set at float. I am not sure why.

I am not sure that will make any sense to anybody else, but I will throw this out there and see what I get back.
billsallee@charter.net
Old 01-01-2010
Gardner

Bill,
I made a really long entry and my wireless crapped out before I sent it.

For me, low cost golf cart batteries are the way to go. As far as auto-start, I don't have one. I run the gennie up to quiet hours, and hope the batteries hold till morning. IF not, I try to manage my loads so they do.

So for an auto start system, when boondocking without generator restrictions, let the generator start at 50% and shut off at float. Float is fully charged with a maintenance charge current. Generators don't burn excessive fuel and last longer if they are run. It is better for a generator to run the up to operating temp and continue for a while. Generators like to run.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-01-2010

Bill:

I have my autostart set to 50% and auto off set to 95%. That was what I was told by Alan Barbee at BlueBird when we took the new owner training when picking up the coach.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 01-02-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvjeanm380 View Post
Bill:

I have my autostart set to 50% and auto off set to 95%. That was what I was told by Alan Barbee at BlueBird when we took the new owner training when picking up the coach.
Where did you set the gen auto on/ auto off points? It's my understanding (maybe incorrectly) that on the later model coaches the gen auto-start was set at the factory when house batteries or chassis batteries (with aux bat switch on) were at 50%. Gen will then run for 2.5 hours bringing the inverter/chargers to float charging (fully charged) level for the period of time left, then shut down. Then there is a 30 minute interval before the gen will restart again even if the batteries are not fully charged yet.
Maybe someone with a better understanding than I can clarify??
Old 01-02-2010

Default Generator-auto start, auto stop

Chuck:

The Trace engineering inverters in the M380 has a control panel that allows you to set those parameters as well as several others. You can set quiet hours where the generator will not start even if the auto start function is engaged. I am not familiar with the system in your coach so I can't comment on it.l

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 04-20-2010

this is why I want solar panels ! when you have no mains hook up & are using the inverter the batteries sharp go below 50 %
Ive got the auto start switched off as dont wont the genny switching itself when it wants to !
Dont like it switching itself on/off if say im not there + diesels heres a fortune so try not to run genny to much (would rather wait till hook up)
cost me almost £500 ($750) to full the bird up now

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy rob View Post
this is why I want solar panels ! when you have no mains hook up & are using the inverter the batteries sharp go below 50 %
Ive got the auto start switched off as dont wont the genny switching itself when it wants to !
Dont like it switching itself on/off if say im not there + diesels heres a fortune so try not to run genny to much (would rather wait till hook up)
cost me almost £500 ($750) to full the bird up now
Andy- don't feel alone- would cost me almost $900 to fill up my bird. Thus she is parked
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 04-24-2010
The Dutchman

Default Generator start question

My geneerator has started three separate times when I started up the coach after being plugged in to 50amp service for several days. Should I be worried? How do I fix the problem? Thanks
The Dutchman
Bob Van Dam
93 WLWB 40 8V92 500
W. Bloomfield, MI
Old 04-25-2010
95 WB 42

Bob

I think the auto start reads the battery voltage to decide when to run,maybe you have a loose/bad connection in circuit between batteries[very common] or the connections going to auto-start module.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 04-25-2010

I agree, most likely the system is seeing the battery voltage drop below the auto-start setpoint. It could be connections, weak battery(s), or low-voltage setpoint too high.