Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-05-2010

Default Ball joint boots

I need to replace my ball joint boots. Do you know what is the part number for these and what is the company that makes them?

Thank you

2004 M380
Old 09-22-2011

Energy Suspension makes most sizes. Check their website.
Phil Swanson
Old 09-22-2011
davidmbrady

Andre,

How many miles on your M380? Did your mechanic say they're faulty? Do they exhibit play or simply torn boots? I'd check with ArvinMeritor. Those ball joints are critical.
Old 09-26-2011

David,

The boots had cracks so the grease could not stay inside. My mechanic filled the boots with grease and said to me that the joints were not affected. Then he ordered from ArvinMeritor the ball joints but they were back order untill october. So I'm waiting. By the way I have 53 000 miles.

2004 M380
Old 09-27-2011

Miles don't affect them as much as over greasing and environment.
Energy has the polyurethane ones too which are much better.

Phil

Last edited by philipswanson; 09-27-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Add
Old 09-27-2011

From my experience looking at numerous 2003 & 2004 m 380's in my search for a coach it appears that there was an issue with the rubber that was used on the ball joints on these axles. I think that probably 50% or more of the ones on the coaches that I looked at were cracked. It was not a case of overlubrication as these joints do not have lubrication fittings. Did not see any indication of issues with any of the tie rod end boots.

I checked the Energy site and they do not have boots that will fit these joints. They mostly have tie rod end boots and covers for much smaller ball joints (ie cars and pick-ups).

I have one bad boot on my coach and have just been making sure that has plenty of grease surrounding it. Will need to change it out before long because without the boot it is going to get grit into it dispite my efforts. This will eventually result in deterioration of the composite wear parts. No play at this point, but it is just a matter of time.

I hope that the new joints have a better rubber material. Would be interesting to hear from some 450 owners. There joints would have been made several years later -- if they have looked, do they have any bad boots??
Old 11-06-2011

I just learned that my M380 has a failed boot on a lower ball joint. The other's look like they are intact but I think I'll get them all replaced. Has anyone got an ideal of the cost to replace all the boots on the front end?
Old 11-06-2011

Unfortunately there does not seem to be replacement boots avilable for the ball joints. The mfg info says that the whole joint must be replaced if the boot is bad. So far I have not checked out prices on the joint. It is on my list of things to check out. Someone posted several weeks ago that they were having theirs changed and their mechanic had ordered joints, but no indication of price.
Old 11-06-2011

If somebody wants to do some research, I bet an acceptable boot replacement is out there somewhere. As long as the stud size is the same and it covers the ball to keep the garbage out and the grease in, it should work. I would start with Moog, the largest manufacturer of suspension parts. Crazy to have to change perfectly good rivited ball joints out, only to have the same problem again down the road with bolt in joints.

Phil Swanson
Old 11-07-2011

I have done some more research. Thanks for prodding me Phil. Unfortunately, the first cut isn't good. Much info about the same problem with 2000 and up Spartan chassis with IFS (see www.RV.net and www.irv2.com). So far, no one on those forums has been able to find replacement boots and the cost to replace the joints seems to be several thousand $$. And people are even reporting splits on the replacement joints. I need to get exact dimensions on the dia. of the base and shaft and see if maybe a small CV joint boot can be made work. The good news, if there is any, is if you keep grease in what remains of the boot it will keep water and grit out for quite some time.