Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-27-2016

New boots installed yesterday with a lot of help from friends. Glad I got this job done. Old boots were shot. Street side bottom ball joint showed signs of pitting but joint was sound with no play. Didn't do zerks or insulation. Pumped grease into boots with grease needle supplied by Ryan. Curious how much grease folks have pumped into the boots after installation. We did 50 strokes bottom boot 40 strokes top boot with manual grease gun. We didn't want to overdo it and pop a seam.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 04-27-2016
Geek

In Ryan's video he suggested (for the top boot) that 10 strokes was ample. That is what I told the mechanic who did mine.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 04-27-2016

As I understand it, the primary function of adding grease is not lubrication - it acts as a barrier against dirt, dust & moisture. Added - in our case the nylon "padded" ball joints supposedly need no lubrication and the boots hold the barrier grease in-place.

Last edited by NoGas; 04-28-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added - Added
Old 04-28-2016

I believe Van, the primary function of grease is to provide lubrication to moving parts in friction. The high viscosity of grease makes it the right choice for applications where normal lube oils would drain away and leave the joint dry. In my case, with the boots cracked and open to the environment, the grease did serve a secondary purpose of holding water and dirt away from the joint. In our case of the street side lower ball joint, corrosion and pitting had started to set in despite the grease that remained.
Old 04-28-2016

The primary lube in the ball joint is provided by the low friction high density plastic that is between the metal ball and socket. It is approximately .060 thick and is what fails when the ball gets pitted with corrosion and wears it. The grease may provide additional lubrication, but its main function is to keep out water and dirt. This is why I like to install the fittings and occasionally flush grease from the bottom (or top) thru the joint.
Old 04-28-2016

OK, OK, let's see if I can restate this:
1. The nylon's purpose is to create a low friction joint and sacrificial wear.
2. The primary purpose of the grease is to provide some lubrication to the joint.
3. The secondary purpose of the grease is to block water and dirt from entering the joint, thereby causing corrosion and friction.
4. The tertiary purpose of the grease is to provide birdbrains like us with a discussion of what the primary purpose of the grease is.