Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-06-2010
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
insead of using bits and pieces why dont you use a plc and the appropriate motor.ts a linear drive not something new
what are you talking about Stephen?
The switchs and all that I understand..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-06-2010

programmable logic controller

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-06-2010
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
programmable logic controller

ahhh,i think thats what he bypassed?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-06-2010

Stephen, are you suggesting I buy a new motor and drive?
Old 10-11-2010

David, Christian or anyone. I've looked on line for the suggested Diodes and it appears that the Zener Diode is what I would want, but frankly there is so much information about snubbers and diodes and different rating etc. there is no way I can make a knowledgeable choice. Given what I have done, using a 15 amp fuse with the motor and switches I have listed, specifically what diode would you suggest I purchase; what part number, manufacturer etc. anything that would identify a part that I can order. I appreciate your guidance.
Old 10-11-2010
davidmbrady

Hi Dennis,

You have a lot of latitude over what you use. You need a breakdown voltage greater than 15V and a surge current of at least 15A. As was explained earlier, when you switch the motor off, the motor windings want to continue to drive the current, a voltage will be induced to make this happen. If there's a path to ground via a flyback diode, then the voltage won't rise excessively, it should stay at 15V or so because the current path via the diode is present. The power of the diode should be 15*15 or 225W or so, but this is for a short burst. You really don't need a diode that can sustain 225W continuously. See if you can find this:

This diode can withstand the power continuously:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...xjtddsphwy.pdf

This diode can't withstand the power continuously, but should be fine for short power bursts:
http://doc.chipfind.ru/mcc/6a10.htm

Zener diodes are for clamping a voltage to a specific level. I don't think you need a zener in this case.
Old 10-11-2010

David, your knowledge is truly amazing. I studied all that in college and was once very good at electronics too. You have retained or gained much more knowledge than I ever could and I am very impressed with your input. I must ask a simple question after reading this thread. I too will some day rewire my slides to work with no computers.

If you are just turning a motor off or on with a "switch" or "relay" why all the worry about all this stuff. We all grew up with relays and switches didn't we. I understand if your using solid state drivers to pick motor then you have a problem but Dennis is just using a simple switch to turn motor on and off. Like a starter in your car.

Am I missing something here? Turn on a switch and deflate seal. Turn on a switch and start room move motor till you manually stop it or it makes another switch and opens circuit to stop it. Whats so hard about this?
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 10-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnchaffin View Post
If you are just turning a motor off or on with a "switch" or "relay" why all the worry about all this stuff. We all grew up with relays and switches didn't we. I understand if your using solid state drivers to pick motor then you have a problem but Dennis is just using a simple switch to turn motor on and off. Like a starter in your car.

Am I missing something here? Turn on a switch and deflate seal. Turn on a switch and start room move motor till you manually stop it or it makes another switch and opens circuit to stop it. Whats so hard about this?
I assume the worry is dammaging all the remaining electronics on the same battery system.
Check post #18

If you isolated a dedicated power supply/bank just for the slides and any future "projects" You can avoid this entire issue. Even if it was a small battery 12v 10-20 ah for all of the small one shot needs, charged through the 120v with a small charger.
This would be a 2 wire system not referenced to the chassis for negitive, so everything is run with two wires. Any equipment that references to ground should not be used with this system, since it is ISOLATED to protect the equipment from the spikes.
Old 10-11-2010

Richard, can a small 12v screw motor that probably only draws about 12amps or so cause a surge throughout the whole motorhome? I don't think so. I have had other Fleetwood moterhomes with slideouts that use a big 12v starter motor to drive them and the motor was just picked by a relay.
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 10-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Hi Dennis,

You have a lot of latitude over what you use. You need a breakdown voltage greater than 15V
David I was worried recomending a 20 volt ziener diode thinking the breakdown voltage might approach the supply voltage.

I know there are circumstances where a battery charger in very cold weather could produce 16 volts charging voltage.

Im NOT saying I know better as a matter fact selection of discreet components is one of my weakest points.

I am just curious what would happen with this cold weather senario..