Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Reasons I Bought My Bluebird

Reasons I Bought My Bluebird This is the place to list the reasons you decided to buy a Bluebird and direct others to who are considering a Bluebird.

Site Search:

Old 10-10-2010

Default The reason I bought my incomplete Bluebird Coach....

I am asked that question everyday from family and friends.
Why would I spend that much money on an incomplete coach that needs so much work and money put into it before it is ready for use, when I could have just bought a really nice used RV that was ready to go for much less.
Well, I love projects, love to build things and love to customize things and make it suit my exact needs. So when I found a brand new BLUEBIRD coach with a Caterpillar engine (HUGE CATERPILLAR FAN here) I just HAD to buy it. My imagination went crazy thinking about the potential. To me it was a clean white canvas, ready to be painted.
To others it looks like a pile of Junk.....pffffttt

Everything really started and revolves around my 15 year old son who races Motocross, and our 6 year old daughter who just loves coming to the track and enjoying the outdoor/camping life style which is really what this is.
We started out a few years ago setting up tents and camping at the tracks, then eventually we bought a Toy Hauler that I pulled with my pick up truck. We completley fell in love with the RV life style from that point on. It was like our little home away from home, and because of it, we ended up spending much more time together as a family....every weekend, even if there was no racing.

So since my son is pretty serious about racing (see pic's below) and we LOVE the RV/traveling/camping life style so much, it was time for an upgrade.

And our daughter who loves to watch and be there.

And here is the type of person I am..... Always tinkering and building things...

Last winter I built a "Motocross themed" Pressure washer for cleaning my sons bikes at the track. I bought an aftermarket dirt bike muffler, I custom made a header pipe, added some Go-Kart aftermarket engine components to the engine, used a Go-Kart fuel tank, and a Dirt Bike handle bars with an old Number plate from his bike.
It's the coolest pressure washer I ever seen

I already have the mufflers for my Onan Generator.
These will be mounted under the Generator bay and under the coach.

So at this point, I really hope I can afford to do the things I dream of with this coach. It will be a stretch financially though, to try and have this ready for spring. I just have to keep hunting for deals as I go, to be able to afford to complete it. Wish me luck, I might need it.

Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-10-2010
Forum owner

you are a sick man.
Welcome to the site!
hahahhahahaa!!
You fit right in!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-10-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

You, Randy and Woody plus a few others on this forum came from the same mold

Good luck to your son on his motocross racing career, I tried my hand at old style TT and flat track motorcycle racing on a Triumph Cub and then drag raced a Norton Atlas back in the 60's, but these young guns now days are something to watch.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-10-2010

Thanks guys... I am happy there are people here who can understand how I think
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-10-2010

Is that C-13 an ACERT ReGen engine? Or were Rv's exempted.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 10-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnewski View Post
Is that C-13 an ACERT ReGen engine? Or were Rv's exempted.
I am still trying to figure that out for sure, I will send the serial number to cat next week and find out...I am hoping it doesn't have all the extra junk on it... It is called a C13 Acert, and I believe it's set at 435HP.

I am not convinced that this is the particulate filter/muffler.. not sure if anyone else on here knows by looking at this? To me it looked like a normal muffler, I didnt see anything "different" about it.

Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-10-2010
Skidder

Smile Reasons I Bought My Bluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morefire View Post
I am asked that question everyday from family and friends.
Why would I spend that much money on an incomplete coach that needs so much work and money put into it before it is ready for use, when I could have just bought a really nice used RV that was ready to go for much less.
Well, I love projects, love to build things and love to customize things and make it suit my exact needs. So when I found a brand new BLUEBIRD coach with a Caterpillar engine (HUGE CATERPILLAR FAN here) I just HAD to buy it. My imagination went crazy thinking about the potential. To me it was a clean white canvas, ready to be painted.
To others it looks like a pile of Junk.....pffffttt

Everything really started and revolves around my 15 year old son who races Motocross, and our 6 year old daughter who just loves coming to the track and enjoying the outdoor/camping life style which is really what this is.
We started out a few years ago setting up tents and camping at the tracks, then eventually we bought a Toy Hauler that I pulled with my pick up truck. We completley fell in love with the RV life style from that point on. It was like our little home away from home, and because of it, we ended up spending much more time together as a family....every weekend, even if there was no racing.

So since my son is pretty serious about racing (see pic's below) and we LOVE the RV/traveling/camping life style so much, it was time for an upgrade.

And our daughter who loves to watch and be there.

And here is the type of person I am..... Always tinkering and building things...

Last winter I built a "Motocross themed" Pressure washer for cleaning my sons bikes at the track. I bought an aftermarket dirt bike muffler, I custom made a header pipe, added some Go-Kart aftermarket engine components to the engine, used a Go-Kart fuel tank, and a Dirt Bike handle bars with an old Number plate from his bike.
It's the coolest pressure washer I ever seen

I already have the mufflers for my Onan Generator.
These will be mounted under the Generator bay and under the coach.

So at this point, I really hope I can afford to do the things I dream of with this coach. It will be a stretch financially though, to try and have this ready for spring. I just have to keep hunting for deals as I go, to be able to afford to complete it. Wish me luck, I might need it.

What a nice looking family, and I thank you for posting. From the looks of things you certainly have the skillset to accomplish this build. And I am sure you, and your family will get so much satisfaction after completion. Great looking "power washer" I must admit.

Some of the greatest memories I have as a chid where the camping trips with family, and in those days all we had was an "old army tent", that use to have a stinky odor, and were told, "don't touch it with your fingers when it rains, cause it will leak",, (which it did) LOL

I believe as you said, that RVing with family brings a unity and sharing that your children will remember all their lives. Good luck with you project, and I look forward to the postings and pictures as you progress.

I live in Mount Hope as you can see (Hamilton) suburb, and therefore am close to you, (approx 60 miles), and maybe some day you would allow me to come and see this bus.?

Wannabee
Old 10-10-2010

Unless CAT changed the configuration in 09 look in the exhaust system behind the turbo and see if there is an injection system in line. Hopefully, because it is an RV it is not there. But I hsve no idea how the ECM would be configured without it.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 10-10-2010

David G. ; Iam much like you! I built the 69 BB after it rolled over and sat for 8 years, the bus company it was at got it drivable to take home then 3 years rebuilding what I needed. The kids loved to go camping and it does bring the family closer together. I also need projects to keep me going the only hold back was money! I did have my share of cars, electronic projects , & gadgets. Today after the kids college money anything left over goes to the house, 78 BB, & 47 Willys projects.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 10-10-2010
davidmbrady

David,

That bus needs you. Thanks for sharing the photos. Your son's a natural on that thing!