Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 05-01-2008

Default 1981fc Cruise control

I have been working on my bird replacing the brake foot valve. If anyone else has to do this it is a brutal job. In the process, I discovered that one of the air leaks was from the hoses going to the cruise control. since the CC does not work, and I do not really want it, it tried to block of the lines. I discovered that it is not vacumm as I thought it would be. The hoses have pressure in them, and if you block them off, they build pressure and will pop the line off at another fitting. Since there is a vacumm canister on the top of the engine, I assume that something has gone wrong with the system. does anyone know how vacumm is created on the Cat 3208 that does not have a vacumm pump on the motor? I assume that there is some sort of air driven pump to get vacumm that has a defective diaphram of something that is building pressure in the lines, not vacumm.

Thanks.

P.S., the new brack foot valve works great, and now my pressure holds in my tanks for a few weeks, not hours.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 05-01-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
I have been working on my bird replacing the brake foot valve. If anyone else has to do this it is a brutal job. In the process, I discovered that one of the air leaks was from the hoses going to the cruise control. since the CC does not work, and I do not really want it, it tried to block of the lines. I discovered that it is not vacumm as I thought it would be. The hoses have pressure in them, and if you block them off, they build pressure and will pop the line off at another fitting. Since there is a vacumm canister on the top of the engine, I assume that something has gone wrong with the system. does anyone know how vacumm is created on the Cat 3208 that does not have a vacumm pump on the motor? I assume that there is some sort of air driven pump to get vacumm that has a defective diaphram of something that is building pressure in the lines, not vacumm.

Thanks.

P.S., the new brack foot valve works great, and now my pressure holds in my tanks for a few weeks, not hours.

I believe that this is where you will find the Vacuum Generator for the cruise control. If I am wrong please correct me.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/96429948

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-02-2008

the vacuum generator is below the floor.

Keith Terpil

1981 FC33SB
Old 05-02-2008
Forum owner

thats the control for your air fan clutch John.

Richard.
while i have never changed the foot valve on a bird i have looked at them to see what a job it would be.
and boy,does it look like a bad job to me.
my hands and arms are big,i don't think i could get them in those places to work.
is there any tips you can share?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-02-2008
Administrator

Hi Richard,

I too am interested in any info on the Foot treadle air throttle.
BB told me it was obsolete and they could not locate the vendor number.
On my 88 FC it is a Williams Control.
Apparently there are still seal Kits available, if one knew the Part number of the valve. Any info. would be helpful. I do not have any problem presently, but am curious. Maybe too much free time on my hands.
Old 05-02-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I believe that this is where you will find the Vacuum Generator for the cruise control. If I am wrong please correct me.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/96429948
CORRECTION:

I'm informed that this is not the vacuum generator for the cruise control, but the control for the Horton fan, so............

In the words of Emily Latilla..............

NEVER MIND!!!!!!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-18-2009

Just in case anyone is interested, the vaccum is created from as small device located on a distribution block behind the front bumper on the drivers side. You can get at the back of it from the foothole in the front bumper. I removed this and pluged the hole, no cruise now, but also no air leak.

Thanks for your help.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 05-19-2009

the air leak is needed to create the vacuum, it's doing just what it should. John, I believe that control is the on/off for the air horns, the reason is that I have one and our Horton Air Clutch was a add on when the engine was replaced. The switch that controls our fan is totally different. Bill, look into the universal air throttle kit from Williams Control, the treadle will probably work.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 05-19-2009

On my old 78 there is a vacuum pump located in the storage compartment under the passenger seat. I rebuilt mine and it is a solid piece of equipment. Really built tuft as what I mean it looked like it was build for the US Navy! I worked as a Marine Macheist for 40 years and it could match anything that I ever found on board ships for quality and durability.
Old 05-19-2009

yes, the vacuum generator is located behing the foot hole in the bumper on the drivers side, and if yoou plug the vent hole it will cause the hose to pop off the canister, the air leak is caused by a vacuum leak somewhere in the system, and if it still have a metal canister the bracket that holds the canister rubs a hole in the can at the edge and causes a vacuum leak, and can be replaced with a plastic canister, but you have to keep it away from high heat,or it will melt, and check to cruise kick off switch on the brake pedal to make sure its still has the hose on it and the chain still hooked up, if you want to keep the cruise, Dana made that cruise and may still have control boxes somewhere, the one BB used was the green control box , and going to a 12 volt vacuum pump is a good upgrade these days, thats what must manufacturers use when the cruise isnt in the engine control module, some use the all elect King Cruise too
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner