Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-12-2016

Default Latest On My Webasto Conversion

It's been a while since I've updated regarding my Webasto conversion. Here is the latest. BTW - I have a bunch more pics but am having a difficult time loading more than one. If someone could provide a tutorial I'd be happy to upload them all.

I pulled the Primus system about 8 weeks ago and sold the boilers and control units. I purchased the Webasto from Rick Shawver. Super nice unit with about 90 total hours on it. It came enclosed in a super nice case with a stainless steel cover, installed primary pump, fuse block and 9 pin connector to hook up to.

While I was at it I also decided to change out the air pump coolant hoses, air filter, and camera system. All except the camera system have been completed (although the units have been purchased and arrived). One note of interest, my air filter is a single stand alone unit that is not encased. My air filter indicator was showing red, which I thought a bit unusual since the rig only has 52K on it. However, I have a pic that shows the culprits. There was a nest of 5 small birds who had somehow made their way inside. You can see they are quite crisp.

It needs to be said that there is no way that I could have achieved this without the WOG, and predominantly the help of Mose Wahlstrom, Bill Anthony, Bob Johannsen, and Rick Shawver.

Webasto - as mentioned this was purchased from Rick Shawver. It came equipped with a Hella primary pump which I use as the pull pump. I purchased a second Hella pump off of eBay and use it as a push pump on the intake side of the system. I also purchased the male electrical connector that matched female connector and conducted all wiring through it.

Box - I had D&S Sheet Metal Design modify my existing Primus box to lower it 5 inches to allow for the Webasto case and cover. You can see the 5" extensions on all 4 walls in the pic below. While at it I borrowed Bob Johannsen's idea of a trap door. Super handy. I've already used it post installation to lower the unit to do some wiring debug work with Hank from Webasto.

Electrical - the Webasto requires a constant 12 volt line and a switched 12 volt line to operate. Through the connector there are also a number of grounds. As well there is a line that allows for a secondary pump, and a line for a light that is on while it is in operation.

Constant 12 volt was sourced fresh from the panel in the closet.
Switched 12 volt. I sourced this from the front Primus wiring. I ran this through a lighted toggle to a thermostat that I mounted mid coach, and then through the Bosch relay that controlled the front Primus. From there it goes to the switch line on the Webasto.

I also ran a line to a system light that I mounted to the new control panel that I fabricated up front.

Engine Pre-heat - my pump wasn't working. So while at all of this I ran a new 12 volt source from the upper electrical panel at the front of the coach to the existing switch. I also ran a control light to the new front control panel that lets me know when this is on (actually ... So I don't forget that it is on ... Age!). The engine pre-heat was super handy as I needed it this weekend to start the coach.

Plumbing - taking another clue from Bob Johannsen and others I built a manifold that allowed me to run the two supply lines into one as well as the two return lines into one. Each line is run through a valve that allows me to adjust flow. As well, I also ran valves at the Webasto on the input and output lines prior to the manifold. This allowed for priming of the Webasto, then the manifold lines separate from the Webasto, each side individually and finally the whole system together. All that was needed after that was to balance the output to the reservoirs.

I will be replacing the individual reservoirs with a stainless steel single reservoir tank that I also had made by D&S. Capacity is a little more than 2 gallons with high and low level sight glasses. It will replace the other tanks, will sit about 1 inch below the rear start box and next to the engine oil fill pump meter, and will eliminate any further reservoir balance or overflow issues.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped. This thing works awesome! Now on to the camera and monitor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	46364  
Old 12-12-2016

Great write up Gerry. I really like that install. Is it tough to get the cover off and on? Glad that unit found a good home.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-13-2016

Thumbs up WOW! I AM JEALOUS!

Howdy, Gerry.
Your setup looks so NEAT and CLEAN. In our 1993, we just have a mess of hoses going every which way. I did mark one hose. Hope you can get more pictures of your setup uploaded.

Liz Pearce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOT_OUT.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	46378  
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-13-2016

So Liz, do you have heat now???
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-13-2016

Thanks Liz. That's a great tribute to the folks here on the WOG. I owe it all to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
Howdy, Gerry.
Your setup looks so NEAT and CLEAN. In our 1993, we just have a mess of hoses going every which way. I did mark one hose. Hope you can get more pictures of your setup uploaded.

Liz Pearce
Old 12-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
So Liz, do you have heat now???
Jack tested the ignition coil and says it "sparks". We are going to fire it up tomorrow and see.

I really wish we had documentation for this Primus to Webasto conversion. W
e were told that it was done by a tech at Bleakley RV couple of years before we bought the coach.

Wish us luck!! Thanks for asking!
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-16-2016
Goat rails in the sunset

Gerry, I agree with Rick, thanks for the great write-up on your clean and versatile installation. I am particularly interested in your new 2-into-1 plumbing design, the valving for adjustable flow is intriguing, but I will definitely borrow the two pump design--a pusher AND a puller is bound to do good things for heat circulation.

Good luck with diesel heat. Is it a schoolbus heater model?
Full-time in 2019
Old 12-16-2016

I have just one pump. Pushes right into burner. I agree two is good idea.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 12-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
Jack tested the ignition coil and says it "sparks". We are going to fire it up tomorrow and see.

I really wish we had documentation for this Primus to Webasto conversion. W
e were told that it was done by a tech at Bleakley RV couple of years before we bought the coach.

Wish us luck!! Thanks for asking!
Liz

The only documentation for this job would have been the operators manual for the Scholastic Webasto and the Bill. You can down load info on the Webasto. A simple search on line should do the trick.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-16-2016
Forum owner

Get yourself some paper and a pencil, follow the hoses and yourself a drawing.
If you need to,get some colored electrical tape and mark the lines so its easy to figure it out.
Homey lowes has a package of maybe 5 colors of tape,put a color on each end of the hose,(same color of course).

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com