Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-11-2018
Not so Junior anymore

Default Generator grounding and bonding

I have just done a lot of work on my generator for which I had to remove it.
Everything is working fine except there was one wire that was not documented.
I'd like to blame it on someone else but of course it's my responsibility to know where all the stuff goes to.
The generator bonded in the cabinet on the back of the generator.
The ground for the generator is picked up in the past through bay in the upper left-hand corner of the left-hand wall of this Bay underneath the driver seat.
Does anybody know where the 00 goes.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 04-11-2018
Not so Junior anymore

Well that was supposed to be a picture posted with this but somehow it didn't make it.
It looks like I've got the help I needed the telephonic means, from three different WOG members. Thank you all very much. 00 win tied to ground and to the ground from the transfer switch applies the generator bonding point to the electrical system at the same time it provides current to the rest of the bus. I tested this out I just grounding the 00 wire and I did get good stable voltages.
Now the scary part of hooking everything else together. Thank you all and thank you WOG.
Old 04-11-2018
Not so Junior anymore

OK I still have a problem. I wired everything up following the markings left others that were assisting me. And when I turn the power on with pretty much all the circuit breakers turn off my polarity lights show reversed polarity. I went back and looked at the wires and I could see where I had made my mistake. So I rewired and tested again. This too showed a reversed polarity. Now I am stumped.
Old 04-11-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYuma View Post
OK I still have a problem. I wired everything up following the markings left others that were assisting me. And when I turn the power on with pretty much all the circuit breakers turn off my polarity lights show reversed polarity. I went back and looked at the wires and I could see where I had made my mistake. So I rewired and tested again. This too showed a reversed polarity. Now I am stumped.
Some high res pictures and a good sketch showing how it's wired, might help with identifying the problem...

Did you make any changes to the transfer switch wiring?
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 04-12-2018
Not so Junior anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Some high res pictures and a good sketch showing how it's wired, might help with identifying the problem...

Did you make any changes to the transfer switch wiring?
I'll try to get some fresh pictures in the morning. To answer your question no I made no changes to the transfer switch. I'm thinking about going to the transfer switch and seeing how it's wired that may help me get a clue on what I'm supposed be doing farther up in the circuit.
Old 04-12-2018
Gardner

Here is a Powertech regulator diagram, note that L0 is the bonded neutral. Not sure if this model is yours, but you would think that the designation would be common on similar models?? (per phone conversation)

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...%20DIAGRAM.jpg
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-12-2018
Not so Junior anymore

In the box and I'm connecting the wires from the transfer switch to the wires from the generator there are a total of eight wires. For from the transfer switch and four from the generator.
This should be a total no-brainer. Before wires from the generator or Mark L1L to L3 and 00.
The wires from the transfer switch or mart L1L to L3 and a green wire which I can pretty well guess is ground.
When I first wired it up I had no one and L3 swamped, so when I got the polarity they're not thinking that this would truly fix it but I reversed the one in L3 and that did nothing.
The only thing it really did do is it made a larger 60 cycle home and around the transfer switch. This may not be the best drawing in the world and I will try to send another one in the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4744.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	54918  
Old 04-12-2018
Not so Junior anymore

I can never seem to get more than one picture at a time on my post so here's a real simple picture of what I can see at the point of connection between the wires from the generator and those from the transfer switch.
I left out one of the details, in the box where I'm connecting this stuff there is a copper ground connector bolted to the back of the metal junction box. Both times I tried this I had both wires 00 and the green wire from the transfer case tied together and grounded at this point.
One other thing. There were at least three different people that work in and around this box at different times over the period of a couple of weeks the markings or done in a couple of different Waze because factory markings were falling off. The only ones I felt somewhat confident of or the L2 markings on both sets of wires but as time goes on I feel less and less confident of anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4742.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	54919  
Old 04-12-2018
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYuma View Post
In the box and I'm connecting the wires from the transfer switch to the wires from the generator there are a total of eight wires. For from the transfer switch and four from the generator.
This should be a total no-brainer. Before wires from the generator or Mark L1L to L3 and 00.
The wires from the transfer switch or mart L1L to L3 and a green wire which I can pretty well guess is ground.
When I first wired it up I had no one and L3 swamped, so when I got the polarity they're not thinking that this would truly fix it but I reversed the one in L3 and that did nothing.
The only thing it really did do is it made a larger 60 cycle home and around the transfer switch. This may not be the best drawing in the world and I will try to send another one in the moment.
According to that drawing l2 is the NEUTRAL. it is bonded to ground in the generator...00 appears to be a ground
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-12-2018
Not so Junior anymore

As you can see the picture I posted is almost exactly the same as the one that you have posted electrically they look exactly the same to me.