Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-12-2019

Default Steel brake line replacement 1972 FC

Okay I’m back, the ground around my bus is finally dry enough to get back to finishing my brake job. I have wrung off a couple of ends on the steel lines near the frame rail where the rubber lines hook up, my guess it would be best to replace the whole line from the boosters, also probably have to buy a coil of line and bend and flair as I go. If anyone would like to share there experiences please do, I’m a little intimidated by the size of this bus but I guess if I take it one wheel, line ata a time may get her back on the road. Thanks in advance for your input.

Preston Jarrell
MECHANICSVILLE, Virginia
1972 Wanderlodge
PJ7753@gmail.com
Old 06-12-2019
Forum owner

i would not get a roll of tubing unless your really good at the flaring of the tubing.
It takes a double flairing tool and while i have done it its time consuming and i prefer to buy straight lengths of flaired tube.
No matter what you use for tube,make sure you blow through the tube to get any bugs,dirt and dust out.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-13-2019

Question BRAKE LINE REPLACEMENT

I recommend NiCopp alloy tubing bends easy never rusts.Very easy to work with. buy in rolls. I use flaring tool https://www.eastwood.com/professiona...ring-tool.html very fast and production type flairs.Works on stainless steel.I use Tube Straightener.For neet clean looking job. Perfer to use stainless on my owen projects.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwrench View Post
I recommend NiCopp alloy tubing bends easy never rusts.Very easy to work with. buy in rolls. I use flaring tool https://www.eastwood.com/professiona...ring-tool.html very fast and production type flairs.Works on stainless steel.I use Tube Straightener.For neet clean looking job. Perfer to use stainless on my owen projects.
I have exactly same recommendation. NiCopp tube. Easy to bend and flare. And anti corrosion. Looks great too.
The tool is $150 and a roll cheap.
Ex-PT36
Old 4 Weeks Ago

A couple guys on the HAMB complained about the nicopp quality from Amazon..know your vendor..
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Interesting. I’ve had good luck from eBay. But quite a while ago.
Ex-PT36
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I thought that I would be able to just unscrew the rubber lines, (NOT) the nuts will not hold the pressure needed to brake them loose. Looks like I will need to replace all four lines going to each of the two front wheels. I guess I’ll just cut them off and install all ne w lines on her. Any suggestion? I put the wheel back on and plan on jacking her up enough to safely work on this thought I would be taking her out for a test ride this week but guess I’ll get it done right no need to hurry through something this important.

Preston Jarrell
MECHANICSVILLE, Virginia
1972 Wanderlodge
PJ7753@gmail.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

I have never used the line the guys mentioned here,it may be the cats behind!

I would change every line on that coach,new rubber lines for sure.
well,i guess if the metal lines are not rusty,then they can stay,check closely for rusted out lines.
But do change the rubber lines,all of them.
Blow air through the metal lines,make sure you blow the cheese out of every line.
They make a special "line" wrench to remove the steel line nuts,you need a set of them for sure.
available anywhere wrenchs are sold.
I don't do PMs,if you want to email me,use my email address.
randy@randydupree.com

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

10-4 on changing the rubber lines, another question. The 72 has two brake petals ( so I was told by the PO) can you help me understand what the one on the left actually does, or point me to a article that explains it. Also does the emergency brake work the same brake as the left petal?

Preston Jarrell
MECHANICSVILLE, Virginia
1972 Wanderlodge
PJ7753@gmail.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old man View Post
10-4 on changing the rubber lines, another question. The 72 has two brake petals ( so I was told by the PO) can you help me understand what the one on the left actually does, or point me to a article that explains it. Also does the emergency brake work the same brake as the left petal?
The left pedal actuates the transmission Retarder to help slow the coach down. The emergency brake is a set of brake shoes on the drive shaft.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001