Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

So,what did the experts do to fix it?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I second the electric fan deal. It’s like $100 total for that total fix and it’s much simpler, more efficient, lighter, everything.

My Original works fine but if I ever have an issue I’ll do the electric DC fan in a heartbeat
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
So,what did the experts do to fix it?
Replaced a bad capacitor.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Ok, I’m totally confused now. Just stopped at the garage on the way back in from some mowing. Decided to start the gennie to see if the fan would run. It did!

Not sure why it overheated yesterday. Other than maybe ambient temp, and more than 24 hours running. Or, both of those, and sitting in one spot for a few hours. Can’t tell if it is running as fast as it should. Guess I’ll have to keep a close eye on it.

I’m leaning heavily to putting in the 12v. The 120v breaker is about $75 by itself, and I still need to replace it. As Stuart said, it looks like about $100 to make the change.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
Ok, I’m totally confused now. Just stopped at the garage on the way back in from some mowing. Decided to start the gennie to see if the fan would run. It did!

Not sure why it overheated yesterday. Other than maybe ambient temp, and more than 24 hours running. Or, both of those, and sitting in one spot for a few hours. Can’t tell if it is running as fast as it should. Guess I’ll have to keep a close eye on it.

I’m leaning heavily to putting in the 12v. The 120v breaker is about $75 by itself, and I still need to replace it. As Stuart said, it looks like about $100 to make the change.
Have you checked your coolant lately? Is it full and the proper strength? How about the radiator? They can get plugged up with dirt and leaves and whatever, restricting airflow. You can put all the 12v in there you want, but I would find out what the problem is now, before going to that trouble and expense. My fan cools my generator just fine, with the BB setup. A lot of other does too.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Have you checked your coolant lately? Is it full and the proper strength? How about the radiator? They can get plugged up with dirt and leaves and whatever, restricting airflow. You can put all the 12v in there you want, but I would find out what the problem is now, before going to that trouble and expense. My fan cools my generator just fine, with the BB setup. A lot of other does too.
On the agenda for tomorrow. It was cooling great after the new capacitor was installed, but shut down at about 6:00pm yesterday. It had been running continuously since about 10:00am Friday.

I’ve had the coach since late February, and had barely used the generator. It had been in Dallas since early July waiting for a new slide seal.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Coolant level was a little low, but nothing abnormal. Topped it off. Checked antifreeze strength, and it was as it should be. Called shop that I bought it from to see if they changed antifreeze when they did the oil change. They did not, so it is now on my list for the fall.

Inspected bottom of the radiator, and it looks clean. Started the generator, and air flow seems to be good. Will have to keep an eye on the fan motor I guess.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
Coolant level was a little low, but nothing abnormal. Topped it off. Checked antifreeze strength, and it was as it should be. Called shop that I bought it from to see if they changed antifreeze when they did the oil change. They did not, so it is now on my list for the fall.

Inspected bottom of the radiator, and it looks clean. Started the generator, and air flow seems to be good. Will have to keep an eye on the fan motor I guess.
Arlin, the top of the radiator can get really filled up with dirt, leaves and all other kinds of debris. The bottom shouldn't collect too much of anything, given the direction of the airflow. The top can plug up because the fan pulls the air into itself, then blows it down, through the radiator, with most of the crud collecting on the top side. I'm not saying that is your problem, just saying it is a cheap fix if it is and before throwing money at issues that may not be your problem. Call me a tight a** but I never fix the expensive stuff until the free or cheap stuff is checked first.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Arlin, the top of the radiator can get really filled up with dirt, leaves and all other kinds of debris. The bottom shouldn't collect too much of anything, given the direction of the airflow. The top can plug up because the fan pulls the air into itself, then blows it down, through the radiator, with most of the crud collecting on the top side. I'm not saying that is your problem, just saying it is a cheap fix if it is and before throwing money at issues that may not be your problem. Call me a tight a** but I never fix the expensive stuff until the free or cheap stuff is checked first.
Thanks Jim,

I’ll see what I can discern as to litter content. I’m assuming I’ll need to remove the fan assembly to do a thorough job.

While traveling the temp has held even below what I guessed it would operate at. After the capacitor was replaced it ran for more than 30 hours continuously before shutting down. We’ll be heading to a campground tomorrow. I’m thinking about running it for a while so I can observe operation. Need to do it before the storm comes through. Apparently two of the latest projected tracks have it coming inland pretty close to home and where we will be this weekend. May need a generator.
Old 1 Week Ago
ANOTHER REDNECK

i have ran a couple of days with 2 110 box fans to get by just saying in the gen set hole
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=254
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
F133316 BODY NUMBER