Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-09-2013

Default Intermittent starting issue

We are locked and loaded for our trip to NC tomorrow but just started experiencing some starter issues. When we turn the key I hear a click at the starter but no turnover. Last week we installed a new starter and from all my digging on the forum it sounds like this might be a bad ground issue.

I've tightened all battery terminals, starter connections have been cleaned tightened. Are there any other connections I'm missing?

When I jumper the solenoid it cranks right over. Then even the key works for a few times until I stop the bus. It's touch n go.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-09-2013
Gardner

There is a Ford type (can) relay that is energized by the start position which in turn energizes the main starter solenoid. That relay is mounted on the frame forward of the starter. It is reachable from below. I had a similar issue, intermittent click but no start, and replaced that solenoid. Working so far.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-09-2013

I agree with Gardner, change that solenoid...inexpensive fix. Buy the best quality solenoid available. The best ones are heavier; more copper?
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 04-09-2013

Same here took my replacement off a schooly I scraped. It was stamped U.S. made so I grabed it put it to work.
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 04-09-2013

I"m nervous as a cat about all this :-) Is there a part number or would the parts store be able to look it up?
Old 04-09-2013
Administrator

Remove it or just look at it and go to an autoparts store, ask for heavy duty.
Sound like you know how to start during a failure.
Looks like you have shaken all the bugs loose, time to build confidence.
Old 04-09-2013

Hi Ben.

I too was (hopefully) suffering from intermittent starting problems. In my case the problem still persisted after replacing the starter switch and the solenoid. Both items were inexpensive and easy to replace and to me they were worth it for peace of mind, plus I have spares now.

Next up was REALLY cleaning all the battery connections even though they looked fine. After all were buffed and reassembled it started right up. Was this the problem?....I don't know. Time will tell. As I already had a new starter in hand I installed it with new ground straps.

At this point I'm guessing my problem was a weak starter coupled with suspect connections. It really is a process of elimination. Confidence has now started building
Old 04-09-2013

A starting Solenoid for a Ford pickup truck you can get a NAPA is part number STH59 or equivalent. http://m.napaonline.com/Tablet/parts...H59_0306556711

The two big lugs on the solenoid is for the high current power coming in and connecting to the starter to solenoid. The small lug or lugs is for the power from the ignition. If you have two lugs than it is for the power from the ignition switch and the other goes to a ground. If you have 1 lug in the front, then it is internall grounded to the solenoid mounting bracket.

Yes there are two solenoids. The little one you are replacing and the big one on the starter body.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeRider View Post
We are locked and loaded for our trip to NC tomorrow but just started experiencing some starter issues. When we turn the key I hear a click at the starter but no turnover. Last week we installed a new starter and from all my digging on the forum it sounds like this might be a bad ground issue.

I've tightened all battery terminals, starter connections have been cleaned tightened. Are there any other connections I'm missing?

When I jumper the solenoid it cranks right over. Then even the key works for a few times until I stop the bus. It's touch n go.

Thanks for your advice.
STARTER GROUND STRAP AT FRAME
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 04-09-2013

Have Ford 460 in my stick & plastic coach that had starting problems exactly like yours. Replacing Neutral Safety Switch was the ticket. Especially true if your BB has a Ford motor. On mine, there is a rod going down the steering column to the NNS from the key. The switch had worn just enough to work only part of the time. Before finding solution I tried everything including replacing solenoid, cleaning all bat cables, adding chassis grounding strap attached directly to starter casing and even replacing starter - none of which helped. Lots of info on Internet about this nasty little switch including Youtube videos. Know how frustrating this problem can be. Good luck fixing it!