Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-05-2013

Default turbo temp gauge

We have an S60 in our bird. In the beginning, the turbo temp gauge seemed to work fine. It has since stopped working. I had the Bird to a DD/Alison shop and they suggested the gauge was bad and they couldn't find a replacement for it. I had it to Holland Bus (once a BB dealer shop) and they said that the sending unit for the gauge was a sealed tube that went from the engine to the gauge and could not be repaired-needed to be replaced, which would be impossible.
2 questions.
Have I gotten the straight stuff from them?

If I pay attention to the temp gauges (coolant, oil, tranny) is the turbo temp gauge a necessity?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2013

Going up a mountain, in other words a high load and lots of fuel, an EGT gauge is an asset. EGT readings can also help troubleshoot performance problems. The gauge has wires that are of a certain length and must be compatible with the instrument. I don't know if you can repair a bad harness and not change the reading as the repair might change the resistance and make the reading inaccurate. If you had a spare harness you could change it to see if it was bad, but doubt you will find anyone with a harness that long.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 04-05-2013
Forum Moderator

[QUOTE=WTarrier;201390]We have an S60 in our bird. In the beginning, the turbo temp gauge seemed to work fine. It has since stopped working. I had the Bird to a DD/Alison shop and they suggested the gauge was bad and they couldn't find a replacement for it. I had it to Holland Bus (once a BB dealer shop) and they said that the sending unit for the gauge was a sealed tube that went from the engine to the gauge and could not be repaired-needed to be replaced, which would be impossible.
2 questions.

If I pay attention to the temp gauges (coolant, oil, tranny) is the turbo temp gauge a necessity?

I and many others read the guages and pay less attention to the Turbo. To me it just doesn't seem as important as the oil pressure, coolant and oil temps.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 04-06-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2013

Default turbo temp gauge

Bill:

"We have an S60 in our bird. In the beginning, the turbo temp gauge seemed to work fine. It has since stopped working. I had the Bird to a DD/Alison shop and they suggested the gauge was bad and they couldn't find a replacement for it. I had it to Holland Bus (once a BB dealer shop) and they said that the sending unit for the gauge was a sealed tube that went from the engine to the gauge and could not be repaired-needed to be replaced, which would be impossible.
"

The answer is "no", totally the wrong answer.

The sender is a thermocouple probe, with a nut holding it into the exhaust tube. The thermocouple is made up of two wires, which will have a connection about 12 to 18 inches from the probe pipe. If one is loose, even a little bit, it will give you a false or no reading at all.
Even though the wires should not be cut, if you need to cut a short bit off to put a new splice on, it will not make much difference, you will not notice that on the meter.
The gauge itself is nothing more than a millivolt meter, and that itself should really give you no problem.

The second part of your question, I have to agree with Rick. Going up a mountain, in other words a high load and lots of fuel, an EGT gauge is an asset. EGT readings can also help troubleshoot performance problems.

Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2013
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTarrier View Post
We have an S60 in our bird. In the beginning, the turbo temp gauge seemed to work fine. It has since stopped working. I had the Bird to a DD/Alison shop and they suggested the gauge was bad and they couldn't find a replacement for it. I had it to Holland Bus (once a BB dealer shop) and they said that the sending unit for the gauge was a sealed tube that went from the engine to the gauge and could not be repaired-needed to be replaced, which would be impossible.
2 questions.

Thanks.
Hi Bill,

According to the Prints that Kurt Horvath posted in his PT-42 files, there are at least two sets of connectons between the Thermocouple and the gauge.

There should be a connection not too far from the Thermocouple where they connect the "thermocouple wires" to a pair of copper wires. The pair of copper wires should then run up front to an "Amp" connector (Kurt's prints show it as being Chassis Connector "A")

There could be more connectors involved but I didn't dig that deep. You might want to try cleaning "Chassis Connector A" first to see if that helps.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 04-06-2013
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Bill mine does not work either. Looks like it is going to be near impossible to get to the probe with out removing the radiator, but I am going to try.
Thanks John, I am sure I have that print. Where exactley is that chasis connnection?
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-06-2013

I have read , we should allow the engine to idle for aprox 5 min after a hard ride . within the 5 min I will see the temp drop .

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 04-06-2013
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Bill mine does not work either. Looks like it is going to be near impossible to get to the probe with out removing the radiator, but I am going to try.
Thanks John, I am sure I have that print. Where exactley is that chasis connnection?
Hi Mallie,

I have a couple of pictures in another thread showing the location of Chassis Connector "B" - Chassis Connector "A" is in the same location:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...52&postcount=4
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 04-06-2013

I replaced my thermocouple last year. The thermo couple is inserted in the exhaust tube as Bill said in post 4. The thermocouple is a standard heavy duty truck part, I took mine in and they had them in stock, It was around $30. Apparently they eventualy wear out and stop working (that is what the truck guy said). I twisted the heck out of mine when I was replacing the exhaust with a SS system and I think that is why mine stopped working. A little PB blaster on the thermocouple helps with removal.The connectors are little round "eyes" that a small bolt and nut are used to connect to the bus wiring.
The bad news is it is hard to get at. The thermocouple is in the down tube at at the forward portion on the engine compartment. I had to get into the area behind the oilcoolers, just aft of the back tire (very tight, not fun) and could just reach the thermocouple. I skinny guy with very long arms is the answer (I am neither), but I got it done. It would be easier with a pit or a lift.
Hope this helps.
96wb42
Mid Door