Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-02-2014
Alan Alan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 887
Default New Spotlight/Searchlight Needed

So the drama continues . . on my way to getting my windshields replaced today I came around a tight corner and hit a low hanging wire. With the backdrop of the forest behind it you couldn't even see them. I figure they were at 12' with no warning, marking, just suddenly I heard the thunk, looked in the rear view mirror and saw the wires whipping around behind me. The wire caught beneath the spotlight and ripped it off. The base is still attached to the roof but it broke the main shaft and collar removing the head from the vehicle. I now know what the goat rails are for - without them the wire could have ripped off all the air conditioner covers and everything else that's up there. Is the spotlight a replaceable part? Does the electric company have liability for this or are they held harmless because they are a public utility? Should I just seam seal the screws in the roof and forget about it - it's not like I ever used the silly thing but on the other hand why drive around with a funny looking Blue Bird?
__________________
Alan
Massachusetts
1998 Wanderlodge LXi 41' "The Alan Darson's Project"
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2014
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So the drama continues . . on my way to getting my windshields replaced today I came around a tight corner and hit a low hanging wire. With the backdrop of the forest behind it you couldn't even see them. I figure they were at 12' with no warning, marking, just suddenly I heard the thunk, looked in the rear view mirror and saw the wires whipping around behind me. The wire caught beneath the spotlight and ripped it off. The base is still attached to the roof but it broke the main shaft and collar removing the head from the vehicle. I now know what the goat rails are for - without them the wire could have ripped off all the air conditioner covers and everything else that's up there. Is the spotlight a replaceable part? Does the electric company have liability for this or are they held harmless because they are a public utility? Should I just seam seal the screws in the roof and forget about it - it's not like I ever used the silly thing but on the other hand why drive around with a funny looking Blue Bird?
I can't help you much with the spotlight but hopefully somebody else can. I was thinking a couple of guys got some internal parts replaced on those to make the light turn, like gears or something. Anyway, one of them will speak up soon I'm sure.
As far as the electrical line, you need to check and see who owns it. Were you on a public roadway at the time? Most likely a utility company if you were. If in a parking lot it could be a private party or business issue. I would definitely pursue the issue with whom ever you find owns the line. That height is without a doubt too low. I don't know how anyone could have missed it before. By the way, before you go to all that trouble, travel the same route and make sure there aren't any warning signs you may have missed or any sign that says "No trucks" or something that would give the lines owner a way out.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2014
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,387
Default

Alan, I just found this link to a thread on the lights. It may help you with the parts you need.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ght=spot+light
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2014
dnmarkham dnmarkham is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 137
Default

Well that's interesting, a coach that I'm looking at to buy has the same problem. I was wondering how only the spotlight was sheared with no other damage. Now I've got a pretty good idea.

Let me know how the repair goes. I may have to do it myself in a couple of weeks.
__________________
Nathan Markham
1996 WB42
Denver, CO
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2014
waharbird's Avatar
waharbird waharbird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shelbyville
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So the drama continues . . on my way to getting my windshields replaced today I came around a tight corner and hit a low hanging wire. With the backdrop of the forest behind it you couldn't even see them. I figure they were at 12' with no warning, marking, just suddenly I heard the thunk, looked in the rear view mirror and saw the wires whipping around behind me. The wire caught beneath the spotlight and ripped it off. The base is still attached to the roof but it broke the main shaft and collar removing the head from the vehicle. I now know what the goat rails are for - without them the wire could have ripped off all the air conditioner covers and everything else that's up there. Is the spotlight a replaceable part? Does the electric company have liability for this or are they held harmless because they are a public utility? Should I just seam seal the screws in the roof and forget about it - it's not like I ever used the silly thing but on the other hand why drive around with a funny looking Blue Bird?
I have a complete unit that I bought off of a 96 bird along with a lot of other parts for my coach. You can have it for what I paid ($100) if you want to replace yours. The PO told me that everything worked. I brought it home and put it on the spare shelf. If you are interested I can post some pictures.
__________________
Wayne and Kathy Harman
Shelbyville, Kentucky
1995 WB42
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2014
Alan Alan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waharbird View Post
I have a complete unit that I bought off of a 96 bird along with a lot of other parts for my coach. You can have it for what I paid ($100) if you want to replace yours. The PO told me that everything worked. I brought it home and put it on the spare shelf. If you are interested I can post some pictures.

Wayne - Thanks for the reply. I will keep this in the back of my head as I want to at least send some letters to the companies involved and perhaps even appear in small claims court to get it repaired.
__________________
Alan
Massachusetts
1998 Wanderlodge LXi 41' "The Alan Darson's Project"
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2014
Mustang88's Avatar
Mustang88 Mustang88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lumby
Posts: 437
Default

http://www.go2marine.com/category/13...oodlights.html
__________________
Kevin Barnett
Lumby, BC, Canada
1979 FC35SB
the (SLO-CAN) :
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2014
waharbird's Avatar
waharbird waharbird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shelbyville
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wayne - Thanks for the reply. I will keep this in the back of my head as I want to at least send some letters to the companies involved and perhaps even appear in small claims court to get it repaired.

Alan, Thanks for your reply and good luck with your situation.
__________________
Wayne and Kathy Harman
Shelbyville, Kentucky
1995 WB42
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2014
Tim876 Tim876 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Topeka
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waharbird View Post
I have a complete unit that I bought off of a 96 bird along with a lot of other parts for my coach. You can have it for what I paid ($100) if you want to replace yours. The PO told me that everything worked. I brought it home and put it on the spare shelf. If you are interested I can post some pictures.

Wayne could you please send me some pictures...I might be interested. Thanks!
__________________
Tim Kelly
Topeka, Kansas
1978 FC35SB
1969 Trojan SeaVoyager
1955 BMW R50
Old Ford Trucks!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2014
waharbird's Avatar
waharbird waharbird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shelbyville
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim876 View Post
Wayne could you please send me some pictures...I might be interested. Thanks!
Hello Tim, I think it is sold, if not I can post some pictures. Thanks for your response.
__________________
Wayne and Kathy Harman
Shelbyville, Kentucky
1995 WB42
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Searchlight sticking Fred Bieti Electrical 19 06-24-2013 09:12 AM
Searchlight on CL, not mine sanibel Parts and Other Items For Sale 0 12-31-2012 06:24 AM
help needed 83 bird Transmission 17 11-06-2012 01:06 PM
ITT Ray-Line Jabsco Searchlight parts Patrick LaBreck Vendors 4 10-18-2011 11:07 PM
Spotlight/Seachlight won't turn sanibel Electrical 10 10-09-2011 07:13 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.