Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 05-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
This is finally happening!
I am beyond excited and as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. My 21 yr old daughter wants to rent our house from us, so our domicile will remain established in Florida. I am still in negotiations with my Florida Retirement system on my retirement date. It may be in a few weeks or it may be in 2 years ...not sure yet. In any event, my daughter wants to be moved in by June. If I have to stay with the agency another 2 years (til I hit 50). Then we talked about moving into the bus anyway and staying local until I can leave. This would give us a good idea of what it's going to be like so we can make modifications as need be and we will be close, should the daughter need anything. Plus it should give us a realistic idea of how much it's going to cost, minus bus fuel.

Now I just need to get the hubby serious about purging his stuff. Offerup.com and FB marketplace...here we come!
Happy for you guys! We just made a similar move a few months ago! Neither Stacey or I are retiring but she quit her nursing job and I’m working remotely part time! Got rid off all excess (still doing it), bought a bus (been fixing it ever since), and getting the ducks in order to hit the road for a year or two.

I found out in short time that you need twice as much reserve (emergency) money and less than half of the stuff you think you are going to need! Overall it has been fun and a bit nerve-racking at the same time!

We are lucky to have great family and friends, not to mention the support here at WOG which has made it a lot easier than it could have been for us!

Good luck and hopefully we meet on the road sometime, somewhere...

Happy Trails,

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 05-13-2019
AKA Tent Boy

Dana,
I have been fulltiming since July of 2016... It's a great ride, but I think for you to have a trip to all these places before you decide where you want to hang out, this way you get a better feel for what you want to eventually wind up doing... First things first I would think that you should visit Tony's dad before it gets too late in life...
I grew up on LI, NY, best time to go there would be soon so you can enjoy the ride, but don't drive the US's longest parking lot I-95!!!

What ever you decide to do, relax and enjoy the ride and scenery and stop often... Safe Travels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
Well fellow fulltimers, my time is getting close and my nerves are driving me crazy.
How did you guys deal with this?
I am very excited to be out of the house and on the open road with the love of my life on the adventure of a lifetime, don't get me wrong. I also know there is a fair amount of stress that surrounds any big life events and this is no different. I just look over all the workamper and working couples sites and can't begin to make my mind up on where I want to start this journey. I have started packing the house up and that makes me happy. But then the enormity of it all hits me and I'm and stuck in bed, wishing my brain would shut off so I could sleep. Part of me wants to remain closer (like a days drive) to home (SWFL) to make sure my daughter is able to stand on her own two feet with the house and all, but then the other part wants to be closer to the hubby's father (Long Island, NY) who is in his mid 80's...so I have been looking at possibilities between SC, NC, TN, PA, and NJ....but then my heart aches to go out west....where I've yet to venture to.

I will just be glad when all this is over with and we are hitting the road...finally.

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 05-13-2019

Thanks guys. I think I will do better once I have dates set...to retire and to leave.
Right now I am thinking about June 28, 2019 for my end date. Of course a date that late into the season is going to make it hard to pick up a workamping gig, unless someone cancels mid season. I do like the idea of visiting his Dad, maybe not in the bus, as there is no place to park it up there....unless we parked it at Beth Page.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 05-13-2019
AKA Tent Boy

Dana,
If you do not mind a toad drive to where Tony's dad lives, there is a great CG in Croton on Hudson, called Croton Point Park, it is a Westchester County Park, 30 and 50 AMP full hook ups, its a place we have had BB rallies at...
It is 30 miles from Manhattan and there is a train station at the road to the park... It's a 60 mile ride to Bethpage from there...

Just something to think about...

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 05-13-2019

Go see Tony's old man for a while and just kiss your house goodbye. Oh I mean kiss your daughter goodbye. Yeah you know what I'm saying. You posted it, I'm just responding
Old 05-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
Dana,
If you do not mind a toad drive to where Tony's dad lives, there is a great CG in Croton on Hudson, called Croton Point Park, it is a Westchester County Park, 30 and 50 AMP full hook ups, its a place we have had BB rallies at...
It is 30 miles from Manhattan and there is a train station at the road to the park... It's a 60 mile ride to Bethpage from there...

Just something to think about...
See, that's just what I was looking at doing, finding a close enough place to workamp so we could drive over and visit with his family on our time off. Or we just drive up in the bus, stay at a local campground and not workamp for a month or two while he visits with his dad and finishes some projects for him. Just means I will not be remotely close enough to help, should my daughter need it.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 05-13-2019
Forum owner

How old is that daughter again?
Its about time she spits the pacifier out and grows up.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-13-2019

She is soon to be 22, but I feel she is far more immature than I was at that age. She has come a long way but still has a distance to go.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 05-13-2019

Only one way to find out
Cape Cod,ma
Old 05-13-2019
Forum owner

and you left her in your house.

Randy Dupree