Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2018

Dollies are simple with some exceptions, Pelican Lake in naples is one as they view it same as a trailer so it must be stored. Upside is this; I can bring any car (mostly) and Massachusetts doesn't require them to be registered so no excise tax. If I was going to be on the road a lot I would suck it up and buy another big trailer
Cape Cod,ma
Old 03-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbertrand View Post
If it is your your intention to SEE the country as you travel the MAJOR COST is NOT having a toad. The loss of opportuntity to sight see the surroundings, attractions and the convenience of even local shopping is not worth NOT having a toad. A 40 foot Bluebird does not like these places.

At a minimum four down capable and maybe light enough no brake system required (depending on state).

Dean
We don't have a toad yet, but we will get one soon exactly for this reason. We have certainly missed opportunities for adventure by only having our 40 foot bus in places where there are no rental cars, taxis or uber.
Old 03-11-2018
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
We don't have a toad yet, but we will get one soon exactly for this reason. We have certainly missed opportunities for adventure by only having our 40 foot bus in places where there are no rental cars, taxis or uber.
We have a Jeep Cherokee XJ, we do Colorado, Moab and recently some of California off road. You can't take the bus, well we did sort of with the 88FC but I don't think I take the WB over too many drop offs. Seeing CO from the Jeep has allowed use many beautiful photo opportunities and tons of wonderful memories. Fran has won a few awards from our off road adventures. It's not for everyone, but I don't want to be like everyone else. These weren't award winners, just rewarding to have the opportunity. 1st in CO, 2nd east of Bardstow,CA out with the Hall's. Just to see what's up over that next ridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170810_122106.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	54330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180113_095227.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	54331  
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-11-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

A towed is absolutely necessary I think. Rental? Not piratical to me. You can pickup a cheap towed for less than a new set of tires. We have stayed in pull throughs, but nice to have a quick way to unhook the car to go eat, get supplies etc. 4 down is our preference. I can have mine disconnected in about 60 seconds. And, you can back up with a towed, only about 8 ft before the steering turns, but that my be all you need. If you have a towable vehicle, usually not that expensive to set up to tow. If you are not full time, I would not worry about brakes on any small vehicle, as they are probably your biggest expense. If you do want brake, I would suggest the Airforce one as they are easy to change to the next towed you get.
Steering wheel lock, some have it, some don't. Find out
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-11-2018

The 4 door toads provide lots of storage. The two doors not much. I fold down the JK rear seats and load firewood, large smoker, chairs, misc. stuff for the Q rally.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 03-11-2018

Being a Chevy guy you have some nice options. Pickups. Burbs or tahoes. I really like my spark (has to be manual). You can buy a used Spark really cheap and if you need to get something at a low price point check out a Spark. Can't drive manual? LEARN it ain't that difficult . My 2 cents

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 03-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
Back on the costs topic, I may as well chime in.
Assuming you already own a vehicle capable of being towed 4-down, you will spend about $2000 to be able to tow it. This breaks down as follows:
1. Tow bar, about $600
2. Baseplate, about $400 if you install it yourself
3. Auxiliary lights for toad, anything from Harbor Freight magnetic (on sale for <$10) to permanently installed ($50 or so plus installation)
4. Auxiliary brake system, about $1000. There are a couple types, one is a wireless remote unit that sits in the footwell, plugs into the toad's cigarette lighter, and pushes on the brake pedal. Minimal installation (breakaway switch/wire) and moves between vehicles. The other is integrated into the bus's air brake system and uses that as a signal to apply the toad brakes. About the same price but permanent installation in the toad and coach.

Various states and provinces have different weight limits for the auxiliary brake requirement, with a low of 1000 lbs. You are required to comply with the limit where you are driving, unlike the requirement for upgraded driver's licenses.

Once you have the setup, switching to another toad is about $400 or so, as all you need is the new baseplate, lights, and breakaway switch.

Marginal costs while driving are fuel mileage (maybe .5 mpg which works out to driving a 67 mpg toad separately), tire wear on toad, and paint damage to toad from road debris.

I lucked out, as both the vehicles I owned as daily drivers could be pulled 4-down.
Thanks for sharing the specifics on costs Mahansm. This information is appreciated. I do have currently have a daily driver that would serve as a TOAD. You did luck out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Dollies are simple with some exceptions, Pelican Lake in naples is one as they view it same as a trailer so it must be stored. Upside is this; I can bring any car (mostly) and Massachusetts doesn't require them to be registered so no excise tax. If I was going to be on the road a lot I would suck it up and buy another big trailer
Thank you Crit for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
I am inclined to agree. Trust, I have seen all of Greensboro, NC I want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
We have a Jeep Cherokee XJ, we do Colorado, Moab and recently some of California off road. You can't take the bus, well we did sort of with the 88FC but I don't think I take the WB over too many drop offs. Seeing CO from the Jeep has allowed use many beautiful photo opportunities and tons of wonderful memories. Fran has won a few awards from our off road adventures. It's not for everyone, but I don't want to be like everyone else. These weren't award winners, just rewarding to have the opportunity. 1st in CO, 2nd east of Bardstow,CA out with the Hall's. Just to see what's up over that next ridge.
I will leave the Off-Roading to you Sir. I will however appreciate your beautiful photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
...but nice to have a quick way to unhook the car to go eat, get supplies etc. 4 down is our preference. I can have mine disconnected in about 60 seconds...
I believe that's what we'll be looking for Mallie, as it is not as physically taxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
The 4 door toads provide lots of storage. The two doors not much. I fold down the JK rear seats and load firewood, large smoker, chairs, misc. stuff for the Q rally.
Thanks for sharing Curt. Maybe due to my RVing inexperience, but I just can see carrying but so much. We are not planning to full-time, and will maintaining a residence in NC. We also have a tendency to pack light. My thinking is if it won't fit in the back with the rear seats folded, it just won't go.

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 03-11-2018

You can pick up a used tow bar for a couple hundred bucks. I just have a break away on my Spark I feel that's all that's needed. I think they are around $125 need a base plate and lights. Now if you go to a mid sized vehicle or large it's going to require more. Best thing to determine first is what type of vehicle you feel you need . Go from there. You can't tow a big 4 wheel drive with the equipment needed for a light car. Having a large vehicle certainly has advantages but if you can work with a small car they are easier to tow and cheaper to buy and set up to tow.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 03-11-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I have light wired a few, usually punching a hole in the light housing for a seperate bulb, but my last one, just did not seem to have the room in the light housing for an extra hole, so I use the diodes, first time I have used them. they were amazing simple to use. I had bought diodes kit once before, but all the diodes were built on one block and most vehicles require connection on both sides of the car.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Bird View Post
shaaksma.......Did you get your safe opened?
Not yet. I need to get the wife out there. She doesn't find it to be a priority. I also found the key used to change combo. I wonder if it was changed at some point and not documented.
FLYING DUTCHMAN