Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 08-23-2016

Default Reviving a Bird

My friend, and I are in process of purchasing a 77 FC-35. We both are new to motor-homes let alone something nostalgic and cool as the WanderLodge.
The vehicle has been sitting for about ten years. We are having a mechanic come out this week to go through the engine and get it running and then we will see what needs to be done further to get her road worthy,
We know new tires are and at least new seals in the motor are in our future, electrical issues such as lights and misc are in our scope and will be gone through, but we just are not sure what else to look hard at.
Our question to the group is, If you were in our position with your experience with these wonderful buses, what would you do/look at/have done to try to make sure it will be dependable as it can be for the future travels??
We would love to hear your input on this. It has a 3208 Cat. Thank you in advance!
Old 08-23-2016

Tires, Batteries, Hoses, and Seals are things to start with. Has there been any rodent activity? Then you can add wiring. Was the coach properly winterized? If not busted pipes will be there. Lot of areas to look at.

Get ready to put some heat on that credit card. Unless you can do this work yourself there are many many hours labor to pay for.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-23-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie B View Post
My friend, and I are in process of purchasing a 77 FC-35. We both are new to motor-homes let alone something nostalgic and cool as the WanderLodge.
The vehicle has been sitting for about ten years. We are having a mechanic come out this week to go through the engine and get it running and then we will see what needs to be done further to get her road worthy,
We know new tires are and at least new seals in the motor are in our future, electrical issues such as lights and misc are in our scope and will be gone through, but we just are not sure what else to look hard at.
Our question to the group is, If you were in our position with your experience with these wonderful buses, what would you do/look at/have done to try to make sure it will be dependable as it can be for the future travels??
We would love to hear your input on this. It has a 3208 Cat. Thank you in advance!
First Road worthy and safe, air systems, Tires, brakes, batteries, chassis, 12 volt systems.
Then Domestic water, waste tanks, sleeping eating Frig etc,
Interior , exterior, your choices & Budget.
And what Ric said,
Old 08-23-2016

Keep an eye open for fuel leaks in the valley, throttle shaft seal likes to leak.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-23-2016

Ernie, try to get in touch with Gene Mehr, he's in Milton and owns an FC, he's a wealth of knowledge on the FC models. I'm in Bonney lake, but go to Shelton routinely for races. I have a PT which is a different animal engine and transmission-wise.

jphoenix13@me.com
www.jimphoenix.com
Old 08-23-2016
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Check to see if the bus has a swing radiator which is a great help in working on the front of the engine like changing the drive belts Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Swing Out Radiator Questions & Projects

Here is mine;

Replace all of the drive belts and adjust them the correct way check out
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > FC Parts List > CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT

When you are changing the belts check the idler pulley bearing;

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-23-2016

Call off the mechanic and get it running yourselves. They are very simple mechanical systems and there is lots of help here so you can work through things. Otherwise it will be a slippery and expensive slope. The only reason i can see for a mechanic at this point may be if it has to be moved in a hurry. And even then a tow might be cheaper.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 08-23-2016

Since it is a '77, check for broken spring leaves. And like everyone has said all seals, rear axle, trans, air compressor(should have air brakes and work the step), and engine.
Old 09-15-2016

I just started a resto on a 78 myself and wish you the best. Wiring will take some time and the thing that takes the most time is figuring out what the previous owner did to set you back. Mine is in the shop getting 1000 worth of new fluids, air dryer, grease, inspections and advice. I, like you just want someone with more,informed eyes to tell me that it's ok to go. I started out with a bus that looked good inside and had ok paint and turned it into a full gut strip and rebuild. I am keeping most of the bathroom and walls and ceiling panels. Otherwise everything will be new top of the line. I just finished gutting it out and sorting the electrical, next up putting heat and plumbing back in and all new. Mice ate the main power line in mine and some others and pipes were burst. I learned it is best to just take it all out and start over. I joke lightly that I plan to spend about 30-40k to get a 20k motorhome. But I do it because unless I do it, it just won't be right. Best of luck.
Old 09-17-2016
Goat rails in the sunset

Get the moss out of the window slide channels so they open and close easily. Build some wood ramps out of 2x10" lumber with glue and screws--I expect that an extra 7 1/2" of lift can make even spring chassis access much better!

I'm down the Kitsap Peninsula frpom you, in Southworth, if you need an occasional supervisor don't hesitate to call (360-633-9499).
Portsmouth, Va