Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-06-2011
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is online now
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port St Joe,Fl
Posts: 36,515
Default Bird project.

As most of you know i have a couple of wrecked birds at my place.
A 95WB and a 94WB.
I have sold lots of parts from these coachs and i have a big order for body parts.
This requires removing the dash and drilling out a ton of BB rivets.
Let me tell you what,drilling those rivets is tough.
You have to start out with a small drill bit,then go up to about a 5/16th bit.
I bought some new drill bits from homey depot,dewalt bits and ryobi.
Yeah,right.
Those cheapo bits may work good on something,but its not on a BB rivet.
If you can get one rivet per bit your doing good.
Now,I have 10,000 drill bits,some sharp,some broken,some stolen and some military surplus,most all of them are auction finds.
I have from 3'' down to some .020 small ones.
So,i picked through my bits and got a handful of the best and went to drilling,so far i have to drill maybe 20 more.
So,cool off time is over,its back to drilling for me.
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2011
bubblerboy64 bubblerboy64 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Shippensburg Pa
Posts: 6,840
Default Need help do ya?

What you need is the Heck Man down there to show you how to DRILL.

Actually dental drills don't drill they cut. And that's what you need. Some way to cut those rivets but I don't know of a way. Maybe some kind of million dollar laser would work. I remember cutting a hole in the side of my bird to get an air vent into the newly installed inverted charger and I had the impression that drilling on a BB was next to impossible. Several hole saws and a bunch of drills later I had a hole. I feel your pain.
__________________

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2011
mynavion mynavion is offline
Can't re-member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stockbridge
Posts: 2,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
As most of you know i have a couple of wrecked birds at my place.
A 95WB and a 94WB.
I have sold lots of parts from these coachs and i have a big order for body parts.
This requires removing the dash and drilling out a ton of BB rivets.
Let me tell you what,drilling those rivets is tough.
You have to start out with a small drill bit,then go up to about a 5/16th bit.
I bought some new drill bits from homey depot,dewalt bits and ryobi.
Yeah,right.
Those cheapo bits may work good on something,but its not on a BB rivet.
If you can get one rivet per bit your doing good.
Now,I have 10,000 drill bits,some sharp,some broken,some stolen and some military surplus,most all of them are auction finds.
I have from 3'' down to some .020 small ones.
So,i picked through my bits and got a handful of the best and went to drilling,so far i have to drill maybe 20 more.
So,cool off time is over,its back to drilling for me.

Randy,

Do you have a Drill Doctor for resharpening your bits? Some may disagree but I have and use one and I think it works great.
__________________

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2011
Dan & Cindy Dan & Cindy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Broussard
Posts: 688
Default

Spend the bucks to buy a few solid carbide drills from a machine tool supply company such as Bisco Tool Supply in Ft Pierce, FL. They have an online price list at http://www.biscotoolsupply.com/home/.../about_us.html. Carbide drills can handle the toughest materials including stainless but they can be broken if you are not careful.
__________________
Dan & Cindy
2004 M-380
Broussard, Louisiana
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2011
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is online now
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port St Joe,Fl
Posts: 36,515
Default

I don't have time to wait on drills!
I need to ship the parts tomorrow.
I looked through my stash if bits and found some good ones,then i took my trusty Dewalt grinder and ground those rivets almost flat,then drilled then right out.
I guess the outer part of the rivets were work hardened and grinding that part off let me drill the rest of the way.

I was telling Carol how hard the rivets are,and how good the glue is,and how well this thing was put together and she says "yep,and thats the reason we have one''.
So,i went back to work...

Now,a warning to you all,i was taking a bay door off and was on my knees under the door when the gas shock decided to come off,the door falls down and hits me in the head and then pins me under it.
I was covered in sweat,and the blood from my cut head was mixing with the sweat and i was thinking i was bleeding to death!
So,with one hand holding my head to stop the bleeding i was kinda stuck under the door.
So,I called Carol to come save me (keep your cell phone handy boys!).

Of course i'm covered in blood,she thinks i'm dead,and she lifts the door and i crawl out,covered in blood,sweat and sand.
So,i get washed off and head to the hospital and get 3 staples in my head,the cut was minor and they stapled me just to stop the bleeding.

Quick and easy,the Doc sprayed my wound with something cold,kuthunk,kuthunk,kuthunk.3 staples and i'm on the way back home.
No pain killers,no nothing.

If your going to be dumb you have to be tough.
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2011
White Hat Guy's Avatar
White Hat Guy White Hat Guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oneonta
Posts: 2,638
Default Parts for Sale?

Sure would like to have a working clock for the overhead panel in my bedroom.
__________________
Tommy and Martha Rountree
1994 WLWB 40/2001 Honda CRV
FMCA #F31522
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2011
iamflagman's Avatar
iamflagman iamflagman is offline
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hopkins
Posts: 11,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I don't have time to wait on drills!
I need to ship the parts tomorrow.
I looked through my stash if bits and found some good ones,then i took my trusty Dewalt grinder and ground those rivets almost flat,then drilled then right out.
I guess the outer part of the rivets were work hardened and grinding that part off let me drill the rest of the way.

I was telling Carol how hard the rivets are,and how good the glue is,and how well this thing was put together and she says "yep,and thats the reason we have one''.
So,i went back to work...

Now,a warning to you all,i was taking a bay door off and was on my knees under the door when the gas shock decided to come off,the door falls down and hits me in the head and then pins me under it.
I was covered in sweat,and the blood from my cut head was mixing with the sweat and i was thinking i was bleeding to death!
So,with one hand holding my head to stop the bleeding i was kinda stuck under the door.
So,I called Carol to come save me (keep your cell phone handy boys!).

Of course i'm covered in blood,she thinks i'm dead,and she lifts the door and i crawl out,covered in blood,sweat and sand.
So,i get washed off and head to the hospital and get 3 staples in my head,the cut was minor and they stapled me just to stop the bleeding.

Quick and easy,the Doc sprayed my wound with something cold,kuthunk,kuthunk,kuthunk.3 staples and i'm on the way back home.
No pain killers,no nothing.

If your going to be dumb you have to be tough.

I just got off of the phone with Randy and got ...........THE REST OF THE STORY!!

Now I'm not saying that Randy is HARD HEADED, but the Doctor couldn't get the surgical staples to go into his skull, so he had to send out for this staple gun to do the kuthunk,kuthunk,kuthunk.3 staples trick!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	staple gun.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	11106  
__________________

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2011
davidmbrady
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I hope you don't have too bad of a headache Randy. I highly detest getting injured while working on these things. When I'm in a hurry and trying to make a deadline... that spells disaster!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2011
Turbokitty's Avatar
Turbokitty Turbokitty is offline
Timberlake Products Group
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Clearwater
Posts: 4,929
Default

Hey Randy could ya come unrivet my dewkie tank for me? I'll have some Hefty lawn bags ready... (to throw your smelly clothes in when you're done).

Bandaid's are extra charge!
__________________

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-06-2011
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is online now
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port St Joe,Fl
Posts: 36,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
I hope you don't have too bad of a headache Randy. I highly detest getting injured while working on these things. When I'm in a hurry and trying to make a deadline... that spells disaster!
i had a whopper of a headache,its about gone now.
it was my fault,tired.hot...
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
major project john wheeler Engine 74 11-27-2010 08:07 PM
Jim Harvie's FC Project Jim Harvie 'Bird Projects & Modifications 61 06-06-2010 01:50 PM
FC plumbing project K Ridley 'Bird Projects & Modifications 9 04-18-2010 08:04 AM
neat project rob Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds 2 02-01-2010 06:38 AM
might be nice for a project rob Coaches For Sale by WOG Members 1 11-30-2008 04:38 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.