Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-23-2012

The problem if I remember is the cartridge seals go bad and you get a bunch of calcification and crud in there. A new cartridge will just pull out. The old one might not. All of this stuff is brass and easily damaged. Once it's damaged it's very difficult to fix. I think you might be able to rent a puller and that will save you trouble. Always best to go at it with the correct tools and as much information as you can get. The vise grips might do it, but they leave marks.

At least when I use vise grips I leave marks.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I've had issues in household plumbing with mixing valves causing hot and cold mix ups but how would the shower plumbing affect the toilet water? I'd have to assume that the toilet must feed off of the shower then? Almost have to be.

Be careful pulling the shower mixing valve cartridge. Been awhile since I did it but if my memory serves me correctly they can be really tight and a puller designed for the particular cartridge may be required. I think it might be a moen. If so you can get information on the web about how to change a moen cartridge.
Get the right tools.

Don't get a pair of visegrips on it and make things worse.
Yeah, this doesn't quite make sense to me either. On mine, there is a shutoff for the toilet under the sink, its in the cold line that also splits up to the sink and possibly the shower as well. Not sure how warm water would get into the cold lines, although I have to admit when I was at Ernie's getting the flooring done, after I reinstalled the toilet, I also got warm water out of my toilet briefly and had no clue what was going on and blamed it on the hot Texas weather...
VB 1570
Old 07-23-2012

For years my daughters faucet in her bathroom was reversed. Moen faucet. I just assumed it was plumbed in reverse. Started leaking. Changed the cartridge and discovered you can reverse the hot and cold by rotating the cartridge 180 degrees. So. I have to assume the cartridge is so "shot" that it's allowing hot water into the cold water line. From there we have to assume the toilet is down stream from the shower. It's either that or there is some little fellow lying under the toilet with a match.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-23-2012
Black Sheep Division

Mine is a Moen. If Bluebird used the same setup in most of the coaches, yours will be a Moen too. If so, do yourself a favor & buy the entire rebuild kit for both the spooler & the faucet. I tried just rebuilding part of it & just made it worse. If you get the whole shebang, you can remove it all with whatever it takes & all that will be left of the original is the housing and the piping. There is a little spring loaded valve (anti-feedback?) on the cold water side; get that too. A Moen dealer will have a parts break down you can look at. Get him to make you a copy & buy all the parts. It's a pain to do & it ain't that much money to replace it all while you're all scrunched up in the shower.

TOM
Old 07-23-2012
Administrator

Hot & cold water mixing has been debated in the past. I do not have a domestic plumbing drawing, but several Birds have stopped the hot mixing with the cold water by replacing the cartridge and replacing or cleaning the balance spool in the Moen shower faucet. The balance spool is an an attempt at a non-scalding valve, it is located behind the shower chrome handle, then located inside a large brass flat blade screw. It needs soaked in a solvent or vinegar, hold it in your fist and shake it until it moves and rattles freely. Water pump pressure causes the spool to slide in a chamber allowing hot & cold water to mix.

There is also an inline check valve at the hot water tank to stop hot from backing up into the cold line, these are a poorly made valve, located inside a brass nipple , sometimes hard to find. Look for the arrow flow indicator.
Some have reported that the Virsa Valve, used in the air purge system, also can hang up and introduce hot into the cold line.
Old 07-25-2012

Hey guys I just went through a few plumbing issues on my 89 sp36 and can tell you that all "moen" fixtures are warranted for life ! Just contact moen at 1-800-289-6636 and tell them the model no. of your fixture and they will send you all parts needed free of charge !! tom
Old 07-25-2012

My 78 does not have a Moen! Its a no name company out of Texas. Hard to read, the name is stamped and old..... Maybe PO changed it out? I pulled it cleaned it, changed "O" rings. I also cleaned all faucet screens for more pressure. We are headed back to the river this weekend so time will tell if I have a hot toilet!! I will let everyone know. Thanks for all your imput!! Oh, I almost forgot, I am rebuilding the house battery compartment floor tomorrow. Same old story as everyone else...eaten up!! I have a plan, I am open to hear suggestions, hunts, success /failure stories. Thanks!!!
Old 07-25-2012

Default Battery Tray

When I rebuilt mine 6 years ago I used angle iron for the sides, paintedthem with about 6 coats of rust resistant paint, then used a peice of 3/4" pressure treated wood for the bottom. So far so good, still looks like the day I replaced it.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 07-25-2012
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadbh View Post
We have been taking the Circle H Lodge up to Homosassa every weekend for the last 4 weeks for scallop season. Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, after the trip up when I flushed the toilet super hot water was coming out? After the coach sits a while the water then returns to a normal temp. I have not touched any valves or made any changes except to run a new water supply line, filter and valve for the new ice maker. The new valve and line was run from the old ice maker line since the valve leaked. Any ideas?
Papa,

I have a completely different thought about this... one that should be ruled out anyway.

You state this happened every weekend for the last 4 weeks but after the coach sits things return to normal.

You are traveling in Florida in the summer. Is it possible the sun is heating the water in the plumbing as you travel down the road? The copper pipes to the bath run along the outside drivers side wall of the coach. This might explain how initially it is hot but after stopping and and use it returns to normal.

NH Bill ... currently exploring North Dakota
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 07-25-2012

Richard, that was basically my plan as well. How did you attach the wood floor to the angle? I also planned to put a piece of rubber roofing over the plywood to serve as an additional barrier. I have the rubber laying around from a past roofing project.