Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-06-2012

here is my update on our recent trip and continued problems:

we have been loosing power going up hills and the racor gauge was going up into the red. we drained the tank checked all lines cleaned and rebuilt the racor housing and finally replaced the racor gauge.

we left LA in the early hours last tuesday heading for Burning Man at Black Rock NV. About 275 miles into the trip the new gauge started reading 80 Hg and the engine began to run rough. I pulled in and changed the filter and it ran well all the way to Black Rock a total trip of about 600 miles, we did it in 16 hrs.

We then started our return journey on Monday evening stopping off in Reno to get a hotel shower! On Tuesday about lunchtime we started to head home. The bus ran well until the grapevine when it started to loose power, i should mention that on the trip up the wooden piece with the heavy speakers (and the Racor gauge) fell off on my head (which is a nice feeling) and the pipe to the racor gauge sheered off at the fitting (no diesel leak)

So the bus started to run rough again so i changed the racor filter, this did not cure the problem, so i changed the engine fuel filter. I limped home with the bus not really wanting to rev out but i was able to do about 50 MPH as long as there where no hills.

I dropped the bus in our lot and went to bed at 4am. Next morning i had to move the bus to our storage space and on the way (about 20 miles on the 405) the bus died, i was just able to get over to the shoulder but as soon as a lifted my foot off the pedal the engine died. I changed the racor again. This time i noticed small air bubbles coming from the two electric sensors on the racor housing. I put some marine 5900 Polyurathane sealant on these and that seemed to stop the small bubbles of air. I also noticed that the Racor was nearly empty of fuel so i made sure the racor filled up with fuel (from the electric pump) and started her up again, it ran well for about 4 miles and then did the same thing. This time i noticed large air bubbles in the racor.

I filled the unit and got off the freeway and managed (just about) to get the bus parked up at the storage unit.

So its pulling air into the system, do you think the Racor housing is at fault -- was this our problem all the time.

Thanks for the help i would like to solve this problem once and for all!
Old 09-07-2012
Forum owner

the racor gauge is a vacuum gauge,with the fitting broken its sucking air in the tube and thats why your loosing the prime.
Plug the line with a pencil or a stick or a golf tee or tape or bubblegum and you will be fine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-07-2012

makes sense but would we be able to run good for 500 miles with this issue and then suddenly its causing a problem?
Old 09-08-2012
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoorelewy View Post
makes sense but would we be able to run good for 500 miles with this issue and then suddenly its causing a problem?
I missed the part about running 500 miles with the gauge broken off.
When i have a problem with air in the filter i put a clear hose in the supply line,run the engine,watch for bubbles.
Keep moving the clear line closer and closer to the tank until you stop getting bubbles,thats the way to find the air leak.
I would start on each side of the racor.
I bet the racor is the problem.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com