Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-03-2013

Default Cruise air conpressor not working

I am trying to work on my cruise air that has not worked since I have owned my Wanderlodge. On the condensor side, the fan works, but the compressor does not run. It does not trip the breaker, just does not work. I have put guages on the system and get 105 lbs on both the low and high side, which confirms that nothing is happening in the compressor. I have power to the starter (the black box with 5 leads) but have not been able to determine how to test the starter. Also, are you able to tell if the motor in the compressor is open or shorted by ohming the leads? Hopefully it is something other than the compressor but probably is.

Thanks
Rodney, Ontario
Old 07-03-2013
Gardner

In case you don't have it, here is a diagram. Could be the thermal overload or high pressure switch are open?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7181950 (800x590).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	23317  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 07-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2013
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I don't work on 120v much so have to think about it.
If it does nothing, there is a break in the wiring to the compressor or you have an open winding.
Start by checking the wiring on the compressor. Be sure there is not a burned wire. Then check for voltage. If you have voltage to the compressor and no try to start, you have an open winding. I believe there is a capacitor, but it should try to start even if it is bad.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 07-03-2013

your fan on your lower unit must be working for the cruisair to work
mine was dead, got new fan- worked as designed. this fan is right behind screen at compressor
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 07-03-2013

Thanks for the diagram. Mine was missing. The fan works fine, just cannot feel the compressor working. I am not sure how the starter works, and if it can be tested. I would assume if the start capacitor was bad the compressor would hum loudly and trip the breaker. The high pressure switch is closed. I again am assuming the overload protection device is inside the compressor. Just want to make sure it is the compressor before I take it all apart. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Rodney, Ontario

Last edited by ryoung; 07-03-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 07-04-2013

I was once in a situation where the generator quit due an overheat condition at the Grand Canyon in July. All three cruise-airs were on at the time the genny shut down. When I arrived in Las Vegas and plugged in to 50A at the camp ground, none of them would turn on, despite the blowers and fans working. Apparently, the thermal reset switches have to get below 70 degrees or so before the units will operate again. It never gets that cold in July, so they did not reset until I got to San Francisco. I drove 1200 miles to Palm Springs, Orange County and up I-5 thinking I had ruined them all, only to find out that they worked again.

Given that you are in Canada, I would think it gets below 70 at night, even in summer- so that might not be the case with your units. Is the switch bad inside the coach? My rheostat is pretty stiff and I've been thinking of replacing all three before I'm in a similar situation.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-04-2013

I have checked the wiring and I have power to the condensor side of the AC unit. The fan there is working. Just need to somehow see if it is the starter / capacitor / or compressor itself.

Thanks for the ideas.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 07-04-2013

Caps are cheap. Any refrigeration place should have them on the shelf. That's what I would try first. If it is not he cap, then at least you have a spare!

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-30-2017

Default I have the same problem with my Cruisair.

My front cruisair on my 1985 PT stopped working also. It doesn't trip a breaker but does nothing. No compressor coming on. My other two A/Cs are working great. I live in western Wisconsin and can't find our how to get this repaired or where to go for parts. I have been searching on the internet for a new one but since Dometic has bought out Cruisair they are only focusing on marine applications. Help
Old 04-30-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicklthorpe View Post
My front cruisair on my 1985 PT stopped working also. It doesn't trip a breaker but does nothing. No compressor coming on. My other two A/Cs are working great. I live in western Wisconsin and can't find our how to get this repaired or where to go for parts. I have been searching on the internet for a new one but since Dometic has bought out Cruisair they are only focusing on marine applications. Help
turn the t-stat back and forth,is it smooth or crunchy?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com