Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 08-27-2018

Location: Formerly Lincolnville, Maine - Full Time and moving since Jan 2011

We first met John at the 2010 WOG (RATS) rally when we bought our bird. The following couple of years we got to know a few of the members at WOG and actually know who was associated with a couple of the more distinctive units.
A short time later we were travelling north in NH on I 95 about to cross into Maine. At exactly the same moment we both pointed at a southbound vehicle and I said "I think that's a Bird!" but Cheryl's comment was right on the nose "That's John Finn!"
He did make an impression!
We'll miss you John. Rest in peace knowing that your contributions will continue to be a service to WOG members for years to come.
Old 08-27-2018

I did not know John very well, but if he is responsible for the WOG forum being as useful as it is so often for so many, his legacy will endure. I, for one, will think of him every time my bus is broken. Wait, is that a good thing??? YES, YES IT IS!
1981 FC-33 "RV Where Yet?"
www.AreWeWhereYet.us
Old 08-27-2018

Godspeed John,

You left us with a lot of good memories.

Bill & Rita Brinner
Old 08-27-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin41bb View Post
Godspeed John,

You left us with a lot of good memories.

Bill & Rita Brinner
Bill is a charter member,hes been with us since the start.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-27-2018

I met John at Maxton and later attended his computer seminar at Birds at the beach. I'll never forget Shane approaching John saying "how's old Shakey today ". I was for a moment aghast . Of course John took this as a sign of Shane's humorous way of showing affection. Lots of good people on the WOG none of them perfect but in times need .... well always there to help. Considering the number of donuts and hot dogs John eat he did OK Never be another like him. I'd like to think KC was there to meet him. Two different people but I think if we listen carefully we can hear the laughter and the music from the fifties . Red velvet cake and ice cream all around .

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-27-2018
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I met John at Maxton and later attended his computer seminar at Birds at the beach. I'll never forget Shane approaching John saying "how's old Shakey today ". I was for a moment aghast . Of course John took this as a sign of Shane's humorous way of showing affection. Lots of good people on the WOG none of them perfect but in times need .... well always there to help. Considering the number of donuts and hot dogs John eat he did OK Never be another like him. I'd like to think KC was there to meet him. Two different people but I think if we listen carefully we can hear the laughter and the music from the fifties . Red velvet cake and ice cream all around .
and lots of old black and white movies! John just loved old B&W movies

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 08-27-2018

Red face A Friend to the End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Tommy, this is just a broad statement on my part and not pointed at anyone in particular...

John mellowed over the last few/several years. We had many conversations about people, places and things and in all fairness, he really had pretty thick skin as in he didn't let his outward, fatherly "crust" dictate who he was on the inside. I would tell my church congregation every now and then that "I loved everyone of them but some of ya'll I wouldn't want to go on vacation with, nor you with me" I believe we all fit into that mindset from time to time? Geeze, I have a hard time traveling with myself

Years ago I read that the true definition of a friend is this: "Someone who likes you in spite of yourself", har! I think what you are trying to say is how amazing friendship is even including the crust Blessings
John was truly my friend. One evening he commented about my headlight lenses were dirty. Next thing I know he had a tube of tooth paste and a rag and he polished both lenses. Just to relate some of conversation episodes which could be somewhat interesting at best and if he suggested I was a “crusty and cranky old soul” I took it as a compliment. I did cherish John and certainly I will miss our conversations which could be better described as “a debate” kinda like two old men (coots really) sitting on a bench outside a rural courthouse.
Old 08-27-2018
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
John was truly my friend. One evening he commented about my headlight lenses were dirty. Next thing I know he had a tube of tooth paste and a rag and he polished both lenses. Just to relate some of conversation episodes which could be somewhat interesting at best and if he suggested I was a “crusty and cranky old soul” I took it as a compliment. I did cherish John and certainly I will miss our conversations which could be better described as “a debate” kinda like two old men (coots really) sitting on a bench outside a rural courthouse.
Tommy, how about two "qualified" yet "dignified" "coots"... Hard to believe John is "cooting" somewhere else now

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 08-27-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Default RIP

John was an inspiration to us all. With all his health problems he was a walking miracle, yet he was always on the move in his FC, pulling a trailer and traveling alone. And he had plenty of problems with the bus over the years, but none was too big for him to find a solution and move on. And share those solutions with others. We were traveling with several other members with John from WOG to Randy’s, John in the lead. We agreed on the CB to pull in to a restaurant John was familiar with. John up front, light where we are to turn left is Red, no traffic John turns. We get through the light and park out back and enter the place. John says he has to do a little work on his rig when we finish eating. Turns out the spring brakes began to engaged from low pressure before we got to the light and John had the good sense to just keep moving to get parked. From unbelievable radiator problems to tire fire, just another day to John.
The first time I saw John was at the gate to the WOG rally in 2011. I pull in off of 27, not knowing which way I will turn, pulling up too close to make a right before the greaters signal Right. I am stuck to back up, and I see John pull in behind me, trailer hanging out in 27. He just swung around me and went left. The gate gang think he is running gate and give chase. I figured I was in trouble with John, but he just laughed about it.
RIP John, your stories will live on.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 08-27-2018

John was one of the first people to come talk to us at our first rally at Pine Mountain. We truly enjoyed getting to talk with him several times at Birds at the Beach. I'm very thankful to have gotten the chance to get to know John.

R.I.P. John
ronnie.books@yahoo.com
2000 Liberty H3-45 Prevost

1999 Lxi 43 D/S (Sold)
1985 PT 36' "The Drifter" (Sold)