Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Ernie Ekberg's Remodeling and Repair

Site Search:

Old 05-08-2011

Default Pictures of flooring in FC's

Hi Ernie,

Being an Arizonan we don't typically use a lot of carpeting, we like to feel the cool under our feet. My home has stained concrete floors except in bedrooms and it is easier to care for as well. As we say it here, "Just Mop and Go."

Ruby has a lot of carpeting through out some of which I believe is for noise mitigation. I am planning on a flooring change for the galley and rear twin bed area unless of course you advise otherwise.

Question for you?? Have you ever put Hushmat under a hardwoord floor? Or do have a super secret approach to insulate from road noise?

If you have any at this time it would be helpful to see any work completed on the FC models. If you would like please email me at waddawander@gmail.com.

Thanks Ernie.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad
Old 05-09-2011

The largest noise maker is that Cat engine. If the doghouse is well insulated, that will make life very pleasant. Adding a hushmat in the small area as the galley and bedroom shouldn't lower any road noise. Carpet was the "thing" back in the time of Rubys birth. Flooring has really come a long way.
Think about cork in those areas you wish to change.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 05-09-2011
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Jeff and Barb,

FWIW this is how I did it in our 83FC. I re-insulated the doghouse and floor from in front of the drivers peddles and front of the curb side back to the mid door.

It was a bit of a pain, but IMHO well worth it. I needed to do a valve lashing so while I had the dog house off I decided to re insulate it. I went with the best material I could find and it was 2" 2# ft.sq. mylar covered quilted fiberglass lead core sandwich sheet for the dog house. This stuff not only made things quiet it also greatly reduced heat transfer.

The sub floor is 1/2" 2# ft.sq. dense rubber and foam. Both products are from SounDown.

Above the sub floor I installed Dupont laminate floating floor (30 year warranty). I went across instead of front to back and installed the floor starting at back and finished at the front. If I need to access the PS or other below deck stuff, or the dog house, I can simply peel the floor back. Also, if we get sick of the look we can easily change it to a different style.

The vertical carpeting was like new so there was no need to change it and it is perfect to hide the butt ends of the floor boards that need a 1/4" space around the perimeter to float. This set up has been in place for several years now and about 12,000 miles with no problems.

http://www.soundown.com/

The person I dealt with there is Garry Kissell and he was very helpful.

I dare say, after traveling in two PTs for roughly 8,000 miles, our FC is now almost as quiet running down the highway (at cruising speed).

Below are links to photos of the projects. Hope this is helpful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wander...04673/pic/list

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wander...73935/pic/list

NH Bill
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898

Last edited by NH Bill; 05-09-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-09-2011

Default Sound Deadening Material

This is a product that works very well for a noise deadening application. I think it may have a good application in a Wanderlodge due to its low profile. Tell me what you think.

http://info.acoustiblok.com/acoustiblok-products/

Thanks.