Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 05-31-2011
cmillsap

Default Unlevel Towbar

Since there has been some questions and conversation about tow bars lately, I thought I would show you how I solved a tow bar problem when I bought my LXi.

The rear framework on an LXi is pretty low, I suppose because of the lowered S60 engine placement. This puts the hitch receiver at a fairly low point off the road surface as compared to most motorhomes. I used to tow my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with my Safari using my Roadmaster 5000 tow bar. The tow bar sat level with no modifications needed. Most Jeeps have a higher than normal ride height and so did the Safari motorhome.

After I bought the LXi and started to hook up the Jeep, I found the tow bar to be unlevel and over 3 inches too high at the toad. It is very important to maintain a level tow bar between the two vehicles. My first thought was to buy a drop bar receiver and invert it at the hitch receiver. Finding a drop bar with a 3” drop was difficult so I looked for other ways to solve the problem. That’s when it occurred to me to reverse the base plate arms on the tow bar. I removed the attachment plates from each of the removable arms that attach to the Jeep. I took the removable right arm and inverted it, then placed it in the left receiver on the Jeep. I did the same on the right arm and then re-bolted the attachment plates back on each arm. This lowered the attachment point of the plates by 3”s and leveled the tow bar.

At “Q” last year, I upgraded my Roadmaster Falcon 5000 to a Falcon 2 (6000#) tow bar which was designed to attach to my original base plate on the Jeep. While I was there I showed the Roadmaster Tech what I had done and asked if there was any problem with what I had done. His response was that people do it all the time and the safety and capacity was not compromised in any way. And here I thought my re-engineering was unique.

So if you ever have the same problem, the procedure may work for you, but do not take my word for it, check with your tow bar manufacturer first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110602_0001.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	10510  
Old 05-31-2011

Smart Man you are, Chuck

Nothing gets by you
Old 06-01-2011
Former Bird Owner

FWIW, Blue Ox makes drop receivers, up to a 10" drop. See
http://www.blueox.com/Accessories/droprcvrs.htm

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-07-2011

They custom made one for me that has a 12" drop. Which I then flip over.
Series 60 DD