Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches For Sale by WOG Members

Coaches For Sale by WOG Members Coaches WOG members have for sale along with a short description. New rules for selling coaches May 1, 2019

Site Search:

Old 07-09-2011

Default 1990 SP36

Sadly I am about to take my last trip in my bird. I am driving it to Texas to trade it in on a newer Beaver. I will be leaving on mon 7-18
so if somebody has a yen for a well maintained SP and has $50k
call me before then at 330-524-2381.

Pics available on request.
Old 07-09-2011

Question

As a recent former Bird owner, can I ask "why?"

What shortcomings did you encounter in your Bird ownership that you anticipate mitigating with the purchase of a different rig?
Old 07-09-2011
Got One

Is it okay for me to ask why?
Old 07-09-2011

Sure,
I love the bird and I didn't mind working on it when I was a bit younger
but to keep it in top shape requires sweat equity which, at the age of 71,
I am running short on. This is my third coach and by far the best but
it is also getting up in years and I would like to take some long trips out west and even though I think the bird would do ok there are things
like coolant hoses that have never been replaced etc.
Old 07-09-2011

Chuck, what dealer are you using?
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 07-09-2011
Got One

I can see why now...It sure is scary travelling not knowing whats going to happen next with these wanderful , old machines. I'm still trying to get up enough courage/confidence to take mine out on a journey . After my first trip, it took alot out of me (time, money, patience).
Old 07-10-2011

Folks,
I'm beginning to be a little confused. Since buying my Bird, I have read thousands of posts on this forum. It seems that we want the world to think that our Birds are "bulletproof" and "built like tanks", but I am constantly reading about how unreliable and fragile they are. The forum is absolutely filled with posts about how much trouble we have. I truly understand routine maintenance, but many posts are just filled with negative comments. I appreciate that this forum is a good place to share information but it seems to get a little dramatic at times. Broken wires become "almost a fire", cooling hoses are "seconds from destroying an engine", refrigerators are a fire hazard, and on and on. When I purchased my Bird, the transmission was overfilled and weeped a little fluid out the filler. I posted the problem and suddenly I was "looking at a tranny rebuild".

I wonder how many folks stumble onto the forum and wonder why anyone would own such a machine. Personally, I find my Bird to be sound and reliable. Sharlene and I are about to hop in it and travel for a few years. Do I expect to have trouble? Certainly I do...it's a mechanical device and will never be foolproof. We put many miles on our last SOB and indeed had to perform maintenance at times. However, I never felt that I was in any danger or was lucky to even make it home.

I'm sure that I will get flamed like crazy about this, but please don't think that I'm being negative. I have no ill feelings about my Bird or anyone else'. All I'm suggesting is that maybe we should remember that there are readers out there that are not Bird owners (yet). After all, this very post started as a "For Sale", but quickly escalated to how unreliable the Bird was!

As I said earlier, I will most likely get flamed but my post is not one that is meant to cause trouble (just an observation from a "new" guy).

Thanks,
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
I can see why now...It sure is scary travelling not knowing whats going to happen next with these wanderful , old machines. I'm still trying to get up enough courage/confidence to take mine out on a journey . After my first trip, it took alot out of me (time, money, patience).
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65
http://kenshar.blogspot.com

-.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... -- works only in .... . .- ...- . -. where they don't need it, and in .... . .-.. .-.. where they've already got it.
Old 07-10-2011
Administrator

No Flaming from me Ken this is an excellent post & hopefully many responses from the Forum. I will start with:

There are over 2600 members on the forum not all owners. I will take a wild guess at about 800 to 1000 owners.
So looking at the numbers the breakdowns are few.
The forum is very open to fixes, problems, upgrades and potential future problems.
There is a thirst for repairs and upgrades, & all is discussed, I would agree that some potential owners have visited the forum and have been scared away from purchasing, But I also believe many have gained an instilled confidence that anything on a Bird can be fixed especially with the support of this Forum. Birds are high quality and will outlive other SOBS, & Safety for ourselves, our Family and others on the road is a huge factor in ownership,, Just visit an RV junkyard, view an RV accident or visit the rear yard of several maintenance areas at Yellowstone and view the RV's that had brake problems or made bad decisions and you will shiver with fear.
I would also admit we are biased towards our Birds, But if a motorhome is in your life a Bird is a very safe & wise decision.
Old 07-10-2011
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4swk View Post
Folks,
I'm beginning to be a little confused. Since buying my Bird, I have read thousands of posts on this forum. It seems that we want the world to think that our Birds are "bulletproof" and "built like tanks", but I am constantly reading about how unreliable and fragile they are.
This post, having nothing to do with the '90 SP36, probably should have been started as a thread of its own - perhaps it can be moved to such a position.

There are two things going on here. First is that all forums dealing with mechanical objects have a high percentage that deal with problems with those objects. Posts such as "another day where everything worked fine" are not going to be common. Posters generally want help with a problem, or to describe what they did about a problem.

Second, almost all motorhomes have problems, often serious ones. That includes top-of-the-line brands fresh from the showroom floor as well as older models.

On my current trip to Alaska, my posts about the bus have been about "issues": how to handle not being able to engage my retarder at slow speeds, broken windshield, one jack not working correctly. I don't think I've mentioned the number of problem-free days. As I walk around the RV parks and talk to people the number of mechanical issues after traveling these roads is astronomical. Mostly not serious, but a laundry list for sure.

My last coach was a Beaver-sister, a 2003 Safari Zanzibar purchased new. In 63,000 miles the number of serious issues, along with their associated expense, dwarfs every issue this Bird has had in the 40,000 miles I've driven it. Some of that would be unique to the particular coach, and some to the shoddy nature of the way it was built.

I'm not about to say that I don't worry about something serious stranding us up here, but my worries are no greater than most of the other motorhome owners of all brands I'm sharing the road with here.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 07-10-2011

Great topic, and one I would like to read more about. In deference to Mr Harrison and his For Sale thread, maybe we could start a new thread somewhere else to explore this idea further ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4swk View Post
Folks,
I'm beginning to be a little confused. Since buying my Bird, I have read thousands of posts on this forum. It seems that we want the world to think that our Birds are "bulletproof" and "built like tanks", but ...

Ken