Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-16-2010

Default Convertible couch in repose

This seems like a common problem, but a search of the site didn't yield a resolution. Any guidance appreciated:

The convertible sofa latches on my 87 FC35 do not catch and hold as designed. (The couch slips into bed mode at inappropriate times -- like always.)

A repair had been made to address this using two hook-and-eye set ups. I inadvertantly disabled the eyes the first time I deployed the bed (because I didn't see them and ham-handedly opened it ).

So, I can either replace the stripped eyes, which seemed to work until I broke it. Or I can work on a more elegant solution, if you tell me what it is ...

Thank you,

Esmi
Old 05-17-2010

I installed three (3) 4" or 5" long 'drywall' screws using my Dewalt cordless drill. We have never used the sofa as a bed, and likewise my latches were always coming unlatched while underway. My cordless drill/screwdriver is always onboard, so having the sofa semi-permanently screwed down is not a problem.

No more rattles and the sofa does not come unlatched when just sitting on it or while driving down the Interstate...easy to remove the screws if I want to service the LP heater or clean under the sofa.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 05-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
I installed three (3) 4" or 5" long 'drywall' screws using my Dewalt cordless drill. We have never used the sofa as a bed, and likewise my latches were always coming unlatched while underway. My cordless drill/screwdriver is always onboard, so having the sofa semi-permanently screwed down is not a problem.

No more rattles and the sofa does not come unlatched when just sitting on it or while driving down the Interstate...easy to remove the screws if I want to service the LP heater or clean under the sofa.
That seems like a fine solution in the bigger picture; however, in the nearer-term I need to convert it between a bed and a sofa a little more frequently. Got any other ideas?
Old 05-17-2010

Default Sofa Latch

Yes...http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...IMG_6841-1.jpg this may be a better choice.

A more 'robust' solution.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 05-17-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: add'd comment
Old 05-17-2010
davidmbrady

Nothing an air cylinder, a wedge, and a striker plate couldn't solve. Esmi, how much time and money do you want to throw at this? You could go as simple as a bungee cord or as complex as slide control technology.

I bring up the air cylinder, wedge, striker plate idea cause this is the solution BB came up with to keep the entry way door cinched to the bus body - simple and effective.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 05-17-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2010
Gardner

Keep it simple. Fancy exotic solutions present fancy exotic problems.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-17-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Keep it simple. Fancy exotic solutions present fancy exotic problems.
Hey, BB used and air cylinder to keep my entry way stairs in or out, to power the entry way floor slide, and to keep my entry way door cinched. An air cylinder is a very BB-like solution!

BTW, Gardner, have any luck with your air cylinder powered ride height control? Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old 05-17-2010
Gardner

David,
Ride height thingy works like a charm. I just can't see the pratcticality of starting the engine to air up just to release the couch
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-17-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
David,
Ride height thingy works like a charm. I just can't see the pratcticality of starting the engine to air up just to release the couch
Esmi's only looking for a positive secure latch when underway. Sorta like the stairs, when there's no air the latch just falls open. Okay, a cylinder, wedge, striker plate, and spring. Glad to hear that your ride height control is working well. We need this complexity to keep us amused in retirement.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 05-17-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added clarification.
Old 05-17-2010

Mine has a 5 or 6 inch carriage bolt with a wing nut strategically placed right above the centermost access door. It's drilled thru the front of the sliding bed
and the frame below.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.