Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-24-2011

Default engine surging

While this is not RV related, I need help.

I have a John Deere commercial zero turn commercial series lawn mower with a 22 hp Kwasaki (sp?). While running it surges (normal rpm then attempts to die then normal rpm). However, while the blades are engaged it does not surge (under load). What is causing this.

The fuel pump is working. New gas and air filter. I paid a pretend repairman to clean the carb, but it runs the same. He said he did not know the problem is, but here's your bill.

Before I take it to another repairman, I would appreciate any input.

The mower ran fine until my Son in Law borrowed it while I was at the beach and when he brought it back, it was surging and needed a new belt.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 08-24-2011

Have the Son in law return it the way he found it. Running.

Does it have a governor?

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 08-24-2011
Consistently clueless

While Leroy has a point, where there is a son in law there must be a daughter, and daddies always take care of their daughters.

Richard, Surging at idle is likely the automatic choke, and you can usually watch the action as it happens. My mower is similar to yours and when the same happened to me I bought a rebuild kit and overhauled the carburator. If you don't want to rebuild the carb you might try a little marvel Mystry oil in a tank of gas, or just a puff or two of carb cleaner sprayed down the barrel.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 08-24-2011

Richard,

I have seen some mowers where a lean condition will cause this. The engine RPM's will surge due to being lean and then "bounce" off of the governor causing the RPM's to drop to almost nothing.
It is a long shot but you could try opening the gas cap a little while running to see if that changes anything (looking to see if cap vent is ok)

Most likely is something is blocking one of the circuits in the carb, and your "pretend mechanic" didn't get everything opened up. When I take one apart I generally run a fine wire through all of the jets and other circuits along with a good carb cleaner.

Not a lot of help but hope it gets you in the right direction.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 08-24-2011

With the poor gas of today, I always put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank. No surging. The ethenal that is added to the fuel is not recommended for small engines. Could also try to find a fuel station that does not have ethenal added. I have two stations in my area that do that, and that's what I use for all small engines.
Old 08-24-2011

Richard,

I have a John Deere lawn mower with a Kawasaki motor that would just quit on me for no reason and than start right back up. I thought it was vapor lock or something. Turns out the fuel suction screen for the gas pickup was clogged. A shot of compressed air from the fuel pump back into the tank cured it for now (actually 1 year ago!), until I get time to remove and clean the tank.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 08-25-2011

Smile Thanks

Thank you for the input. I think you have solved my problem.

The pretend mechanic suggested i BUY one of his bob cat lawn mowers for $8,000. While the bob cat maybe a fine lawn mower, that is way out of my price range and why would I buy from someone who can not fix them. The Bob Cats also have a Kawasaki engine.

While my John Deere (bought it used) is about 6 or 7 years old, the deck, frame, pulleys, etc. are in excellent condition with no rust. The seat cushion separated from the seat frame, but other than that and the engine surging, it is in great shape.

I have some mystery oil and will try that. Then the carb cleaner. I will investigate the rebuild kit and attempt the repair myself. If all fails, take it to Panama City to the John Deere place and spend $100 per hour on labor. A few hundred dollars appeals to me versus eight thousand dollars plus tax.

Once again, I really appreciate the help and advice.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 08-25-2011
Got One

Richard, I work on snowmobiles, lawn mowers and ATV's from time to time. It's been my expierence that, most issues invovling small engines is the carb jets are gummed up and need a one on one cleaning (meaning take the carb apart and clean each jet personally). I find that, once the carb is apart, take each jet and soak them in a product called Mercury "Powertune" overnight. Its a fuel additive for two-stroke outboard boat engines. It will make the jets look like gold. Then use a jet drill to make sure each jet hole is clear, then a shot of carb cleaner in them and all carb body circuits, new float neddle and seat, new bowel and intake gasket, and you should be rocking!!
Old 08-25-2011

If said son in law takes good care of your daughter, you need to apologize profusly for loaning him a piece of junk and you will do better in the future.

Anything else, loan him a sling blade next time.
Old 08-25-2011
Forum owner

sea foam in the gas works good too.

Now,about that son-in-law,I have met one of Richards SIL's,and hes been helping us with property info on the wanderland project (dead at this time) and we have not been paying him for the help,YET.

This may be a different SIL?
But,one thing about SIL's,they are almost always younger than we are,somrtimes its good to have "credit" with your SIL!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com