Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-05-2011

Default Interior Step Improvements

All,

Now that I have removed for painting the window frames and inside door components, my attention has turned to my interior steps. Old 'school bus' type risers and nearly worn out carpet backs are ugly, ugly, ugly.

Have any of y'all ever tried (successfully or un successfully) the stainless steel products sold by Summit Products?
Old 09-05-2011

I used to be in the stainless business, I made my own riser inserts from 18ga 304 stainless. I started with a #7 finish which is mirror, was a really nice effect but I was always taking them out to republish, I found it didn't matter how careful you were they would get scratched by the toe of the shoe. I switched them out for 18g a #4 finish some would call this a brushed finish but it is very fine, a nice look, very easy to maintain and I haven't had to republish , this is very easy to do with a 3m pad #7440, available at most 3m dealers, you just rub the pad in the direction of the grain and brand new, about 5 min work for all 3 steps. The problem with the inserts sold buy auto suppliers and such is they use a 400 series stainless which is cheaper, and 400 series will rust. But also due to cost they use anywhere from 24 to 28 Ga which if touched by a decent shoe will dent, and dents show up like crazy on SS. I would say if you want to be happy contact a metal shop to shear the piece size from 16 or 18 or even 20 ga #4 stainless and you will be happy forever. This is probably cheaper than the ready made by a long shot and you could ask for a piece of 7440 cloth pad for touch ups, if the deal in SS they have this stuff laying around, if not I'll send you a piece. I highly recommend this upgrade it is pretty much maintenance free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2867.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	668.7 KB
ID:	12224   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2868.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	718.2 KB
ID:	12225  
87 PT-40
Old 09-05-2011

Wow, Robert, those really look good. Only problem I would have is in the "skill department". I'm a guy that can't nail two pieces of wood together. I would be curious as to how you fasten the steel "plates" to the backs of the steps; glue or screws. and what about some 'diamond plate' for the tops of the steps?
Old 09-05-2011

i think Diamond plate would be great on top as long as it is non slip, IE alum or such, a really hard diamond plate can get really slippery with a hard sole shoe. The installation is very simple, The angle I used came from LOWES, aluminum, stair tread nose I think they call it. I ( THINK ) "and this is the hard part for me", the nose cover comes predrilled so I cut it so the holes line up going up the tread. Measure the stainless from the top of the tread riser to the flat of the step, then subtract a 1/2 inch because the stainless goes down behind your flat step about an 1/8th of an inch and then up behind the angle ,just put the alum angle over the top and it holds the SS riser cover in place. Nothing mechanical is needed to hold the SS in place, super simple, If I can do it, you can do it and perform brain surgery at the same time. ( i can't handle the Brain Surgery part they won't let me have sharp objects.)i
87 PT-40
Old 09-05-2011

Robert, seems simple enough. Flaw in your thinking however - they won't let you do brain surgery, because you are dangerous with sharp cutting edges. What the #$@ makes you think they'd let a lawyer do it?

Thanks, I'll need to give this a little thought and see if I can make some rudimentary drawings.....
Old 09-05-2011

Look at all the entries that I have done. And I'll be at RATS
oh- you gotta go to my flooring.net forum
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-05-2011

Thanks, Ernie:

I looked at your photos and the work looks great. I like the stainless backs and the new rubber mat for the the steps. I would like to have some idea of the costs so if you could send me a pm with an estimate, I would appreciate it very much.

You know I would like to replace the carpets, but Martha says no. Right now, cash is short (like everybody else) so carpets are going to have to wait. The entry on the other hand looks like the steps to an upstairs Honky Tonk.

Could you really do that makeover at RATS?
Old 09-05-2011

Then there are always mosaics

1973 31FC
Cape Cod MA
Old 09-05-2011

Suska:

Do you know a mosaic person that could do it? Maybe something like they found in Pompeii and Heracleum. Change my entrance from what looks like the steps to an upstairs honky tonk to something high class.

Hope you and Lou are going to make it to RATS.
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
Look at all the entries that I have done. And I'll be at RATS
oh- you gotta go to my flooring.net forum
You do nice work Ernie!
Some photos here...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ernies...s/album/0/list