Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-22-2012

Default FC Front Suburban HTR removal

While at the Quartzsite rally our front suburban propane heater decided to have a problem with the gas solenoid valve.

Now it's time to rebuild/repair etc.... but after looking at the front passenger side couch can't figure out how to get it out. I do not believe the front couch is completely O.E.M.

Would enjoy hearing your ideas how I can gain access to the heater.

Thank you.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad
Old 02-22-2012
Forum owner

OK,couple of questions.
The heater is under the passenger side couch?
Towards the back end of the couch?

If so,then its impossible to get out without removed the sofa.
UNLESS you saw a "door" in front of the heater.
Pull the carpet on the sofa base back,after taking off the louvered vent.
Look the base over and determine where to make your vertical cut,make the cut with a saber saw or fein saw,take a few screws out of the base and you have a "door" to access the heater.
When you put the door back in place use a strip of sheet metal to cave the saw cut,screwing it in place and glue the carpet back in place.
Thats how i do it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-22-2012
Administrator

Remove the outside intake/exhaust fitting, this will give the furnace some wiggle room to find the screws into the floor
Old 02-22-2012

In mine, the front of the couch is secured by screws into the floor that are accessed through the under seat storage door. The back is screwed to the bathroom wall at the top on the outside. The screws are somewhat hidden behind the upholstery.

The only way to remove the furnace is to remove the couch first. After that, working on the furnace is easy.
Old 02-22-2012

The base of my couch was somewhat glued to the floor. There were screws on the lower sides by the front seat. Also had screws at the lower back brace. After removing the screws I was able to lift the couch to get to the furnace. Not easy but do able. Be carefull not to scrape the padding of the lower table at the end of the couch. Bill is correct in that removing the exhaust/intake will help out with removing the furnace. I had to remove the front exhaust vent and the duct work in order to remove the furnace. If you do not have gas shout offs at the furnace you will have to turn the LP off at the tank. I hope this helps.
281-546-2445
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemjam View Post
The base of my couch was somewhat glued to the floor. There were screws on the lower sides by the front seat. Also had screws at the lower back brace. After removing the screws I was able to lift the couch to get to the furnace. Not easy but do able. Be carefull not to scrape the padding of the lower table at the end of the couch. Bill is correct in that removing the exhaust/intake will help out with removing the furnace. I had to remove the front exhaust vent and the duct work in order to remove the furnace. If you do not have gas shout offs at the furnace you will have to turn the LP off at the tank. I hope this helps.
Jeff,
As you know by now these are all made different but on my 1980 FC, the gas shutoff for the front Suburban Heater is in the compartment where the middle (kitchen) one is. Also, the panel below the kitchen drawers that the vent is in is fastened to the cabinet with some real strong magnetic cabinet latches. If I can help jn any way call, four 8 0 2 forty three, forty four, forty five.
Dave

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 02-23-2012
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Guess they are all different? Mine is under the driver's couch and I had to remove the couch to access the furnace. Found screws into the bathroom wall and into the arm rest/storage behing the driver's seat then the entire couch lifts up.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 02-23-2012

I'm trying to get past the heater in Arizona concept but, if this task is going to be attempted next weekend (March 1-6) I will be in the Tempe/Mesa area, and would love to help. Maybe I could hold the flashlight. I have in fact removed and repaired these types of heaters many, many times.

Other than a possible workday, is there any other 'Bird activities going on? I like to visit too.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 02-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I'm trying to get past the heater in Arizona concept but, if this task is going to be attempted next weekend (March 1-6) I will be in the Tempe/Mesa area, and would love to help. Maybe I could hold the flashlight. I have in fact removed and repaired these types of heaters many, many times.

Other than a possible workday, is there any other 'Bird activities going on? I like to visit too.
David,
That weekend, Mar 2-4 we have a get together at white tank mountain park, west of phoenix.

Mar 2-4 – White Tank Mountain Hike - Kevin & Cheri Vetter
- Located just West of the Valley - You can camp out with us Friday and/or Saturday night. RV camping, tent camping, car camping, or even just for the day will work.
- Come do the big hike with us (9) miles Saturday morning, Ford Canyon Trail or do your own and check out the short waterfall trail.
- OR skip the hike and come Saturday and stay for dinner and after dinner relaxation. OR You can stay home and miss a great time!

You MUST make reservations now if you’ll be RV camping!
(Note - we do have limited space for tent and car camping with our RV slots)
- We’re in the White Tank Mountain Regional Park, Family Campground. Baseball Spring training is starting, and camping slots fill up fast. The Vetters and Putzes already have our slots reserved: #17 and #19. So we’re looking for someone to take 15, 13, 16, 14, or 18 (in that order) so we can all be together and help support tent camping and car parking.
- If you’re planning on hiking, we leave from the campground at 9:00am sharp Saturday morning. You’ll want to pack a lunch and lots of water.
- We return around 4:00pm and see who’s waiting for us for dinner. There are nice hot showers and flush toilets at the campground. Then we collapse and hope someone will serve us food or drink.

We need a head count for dinner Saturday, and for breakfast Sunday.
- The Putz’s and Vetters’ will provided:
o burgers and all the fixings for dinner.
o Fruit, Danish, and coffee for breakfast.
- Please bring: Your lunch and water for Saturday if you’re hiking
o A side dish and/or munchies to share for Sat. evening
o Whatever you’d like to drink - BYOB
- Any extra wood you have laying around that you’d like to burn in the campfire
- Who’s coming to play with Snuffles and Jr.? Please RSVP so they bring enough food.
For those of you that have not met the Vetter’s you’ll LOVE Snuffles & Jr
They go everywhere with them!

Eleven coaches signed up so far. Mike Putz has all the details.
Dave

THE SHORT BUS
Old 02-24-2012

Default Why heaters in Arizona?

David,
Some of us, me for instance, have been away from Indiana (yeah, I was born in Terre Haute) long enough (60 years) that we think40 degrees is cold.
Dave

THE SHORT BUS