Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-23-2012

Default Hot water in toilet after traveling?

We have been taking the Circle H Lodge up to Homosassa every weekend for the last 4 weeks for scallop season. Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, after the trip up when I flushed the toilet super hot water was coming out? After the coach sits a while the water then returns to a normal temp. I have not touched any valves or made any changes except to run a new water supply line, filter and valve for the new ice maker. The new valve and line was run from the old ice maker line since the valve leaked. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2012

Sounds a lot like the infamous shower mixing valve gremlin. Bill Pape will confirm or deny. If so, it needs to come out and be cleaned and lubed. This problem was mine when I could get nothing but cold waterthroughout the coach.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 07-23-2012

Is that valve under the sink in the bath? I have a side bath.
Old 07-23-2012

I have a side bath, too. The valve is behind the shower handle that regulates the temperature of the shower water. Disassemble the shower handle and pull out the valve in the cylinder. This may take some work as it may be hard to remove. Vinegar and some common household solutions for taking out mineral deposits will assist in this project. I replaced mine, but just cleaning and lubing with plumber's silicone grease will solve the mixing valve issue. If, in fact, that is your problem. I think it is. You can do all this from inside the shower stall.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 07-23-2012

I think replacement is in order. I have also noticed that I only have to turn the shower hot water knob a quarter turn to get hot water, but not lots of volume. I am wondering where you bought the new mixing valve at? I have taken the stance to replace when I can (depending on cost) since the lodge is a 1978. Thanks for you help!!
Old 07-23-2012

I am pretty certain mine was a Moen. I bought it in Alberqueque, NM, since I was on the road at the time. It was a plumbing supply house. It was a 3200 series valve. $72.00 at the supply house, but I am sure you can do much better locally. This was just for the balancing spool part of the valve.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816

Last edited by markbragdon; 07-23-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-23-2012

I've had issues in household plumbing with mixing valves causing hot and cold mix ups but how would the shower plumbing affect the toilet water? I'd have to assume that the toilet must feed off of the shower then? Almost have to be.

Be careful pulling the shower mixing valve cartridge. Been awhile since I did it but if my memory serves me correctly they can be really tight and a puller designed for the particular cartridge may be required. I think it might be a moen. If so you can get information on the web about how to change a moen cartridge.
Get the right tools.

Don't get a pair of visegrips on it and make things worse.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-23-2012

Thanks a bunch for the information! I am headed to the lodge garage tomorrow to do a couple of other minor items so I think I will pull the valve then and go from there.
Old 07-23-2012

Default Good question, John

I cannot explain why, but I believe the valve causes numerous issues with plumbing all over the coach. I wish Bill would chime in. He got me fixing mine when I had trouble. I had no hot water anywhere.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 07-23-2012

John, glad you said something! Vise grips were my plan of attack!! Since I am not a pro plumber I think I will do a little research. I have changed the valves in my house showers so I hope it will be similar...