Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-23-2008
Forum owner

Default what would you like to change on your bird?

what would you really like to change on your bird?
like,take out a chair and add a sofa,or change the dinette from a table and chairs to a booth,things like that?

my new coach has a table and chairs,i would like to have a "J" dinette
anybody have a "j" dinette for sale?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-23-2008
Former Bird Owner

Well, I took out the two facing sofas from the 'forward salon' and replaced them with a desk on one side and horizontal filing cabinets on the other side. This allows me to have my full sized desk top computer with dual 24" monitors available while I'm on the road. (The desk was designed to let my wife use our laptop from a pull-out drawer at the end that's used with the passenger seat turned around.

We also replaced the carpet (and tile in the galley) with bamboo wood flooring that runs from the bedroom door to the front of the coach. (We preferred to leave the carpet in the bedroom.) The bath is still tile, as my coach has a "side" bath with an aisle along the side to the bedroom.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-23-2008

"Always Something" has been at the factory the last couple of weeks getting the circuit board for the generator recalibrated. We were going to pick it up this weekend but Fay got in the way so our plans for Labor Day weekend were canceled. After that we decided to just leave it there and let BB do the upgrade on the entertainment center. I bought a 32" Sony flat screen and will deliver it to Kenny next weekend so that can make the necessary changes to the cabinetry. I hope to have it back in a couple more weeks after that. We've looked at several of the upgrades they have done and were impressed. I will try and take before and after pictures for the group.

While I would like a J dinette that will have to wait for another time. Right now I'm just happy we didn't float away with Fay.
"Always Something"
Old 08-24-2008

In November, when we get done workcamping here in Branson, we will be heading for Weatherford, Texas to visit with carpet Ernie.
He will be replacing out carpet with heated wood floors.
Should be interesting.
Bob Lawrence
84 PT36
Branson, Mo.
Old 08-24-2008
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird Bob View Post
In November, when we get done workcamping here in Branson, we will be heading for Weatherford, Texas to visit with carpet Ernie.
He will be replacing out carpet with heated wood floors.
Should be interesting.
Bob Lawrence
84 PT36
Branson, Mo.
Ernie does excellent work,you will be very happy!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-24-2008

Howdy.
We need to have the tile floors in the galley and bathroom replaced. Have to contact Ernie about that.

We have a design for custom cabinets(in the living room) to hold my(Liz's) keyboard and hopefully that will be done next year.

The stitching on some of the coach awnings is broken. Think that we'll try to fix that ourselves.

I would like to have different Corian counters in my coach. BUT we first need to win the lottery!!!

LAST BUT NOT LEAST - another gear to get the coach going up a hill!!!!!!

Regards,
Jack and Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 08-24-2008
Former Bird Owner

You might be able to do the tile yourself. It's not really that difficult -- but it does take some time. The hardest part is getting the old tile up ... when I removed the tile from my galley area, it required a lot of hammering on a pry bar, etc. It tore up the plywood under floor pretty badly.

The tile was installed over a concrete backer board ("Wonderboard" brand) that was glued and screwed to the plywood underfloor. I'd guess that an epoxy mastic was used to hold down the backer board and the tiles.

Once the old tile was out, I cut out (most of) the damaged sub-floor with a circular saw (use a blade to sacrifice, as it will probably grind against the steel plate that's under the sub-floor). I pieced in a new piece of plywood (5/8" as I recall, but it might have been 1/2") then filled the gaps and some remaining divots in the sub-floor with a self-leveling fill compound.

If you're then going to install new tile, you can glue/screw down a layer of Wonderboard, then apply the tile. (This will bring you back up to the same level as you started with.)

In my case, I installed cork underlayment, then put bamboo-wood flooring down. The thickness was a little higher than the original tile, so the only other adjustment was to raise the toe-kick electric heater up by about 1/4" (so I could pull it out for service, if necessary).

In looking at the installation of the tile in the coach (while un-installing it) I could see no differences from a the typical installation in a home. A home center may have leaflets or other information to help you understand the process. There are also consumer oriented tile shops that give a lot of advice to beginners with tile. (I've done several tile jobs in my home over the years -- it's really not that difficult -- honest!)

I'll presume that a 93 would have similar installation as a 95... but there may be variations.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
Well, I took out the two facing sofas from the 'forward salon' and replaced them with a desk on one side and horizontal filing cabinets on the other side. This allows me to have my full sized desk top computer with dual 24" monitors available while I'm on the road. (The desk was designed to let my wife use our laptop from a pull-out drawer at the end that's used with the passenger seat turned around.
Our sofa is on the driver's side of the Bird. The carpeting under the sofa doesn't go all the way to the wall. And there isn't any "box" that covers the wires and pipes that run along that wall, i.e., baseboard heat. How did you address that problem?

TIA,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 08-25-2008

Been thinking about it since this was posted; not much we'd change. I've heard pros/cons on the J-Lounge, we love it. Given that we've never wanted slide-outs that's not an issue.

As for power; we traveled with 4 Provests to Alaska, one of them was a 40ft non-slide with a 525 HP 60 series. None of them could keep up with me on hills. From what I could see their 6th gear gave them slightly lower RPM's in high gear and a little better mileage, but when it came down to pulling 7 or 8 percent grades we beat them hands-down. Never have run against the 600+ coaches, assume they'd win a hill climb.

15 years with the same Bird and we've been very happy. Having to sell it has been a very difficult decision for us.

To me it's a credit to the BB folks who have taken so much time to make their coaches "user friendly".
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 08-25-2008
Forum Moderator

Lance I'm assuming you have the same 8V92 as I. It is my experience that the 8V has more than ample torque and ability to climb. For whatever it is worth my observations over the last four years is that while I'm going up hills at whatever speed will keep me at 2000 rpm max I've left Prevosts and a few Tupperware Palaces behind. This has been on long grades of several miles like the Siskiyous. It is the long grunt that counts, not the flash-by hills. Anybody can get up a head of steam for a quick hill but it takes torque, radiator, big iron and driver common sense to pull hills. When in doubt back off.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 08-26-2008 at 01:12 AM.