Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-15-2013

Default 1990 sp36 not charging

Hi I am new owner of a sp 36 it is not charging I have no power at the alt
it has not been used in a while it runs great but house and engine are not charging I need some advice I do love the bus and can not wait to enjoy

thanks Jim
Old 06-16-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
Hi I am new owner of a sp 36 it is not charging I have no power at the alt
it has not been used in a while it runs great but house and engine are not charging I need some advice I do love the bus and can not wait to enjoy

thanks Jim
Hey Jim--

Someone will be along to help you with this, but in the mean time I'm curious about how you got to this point. I have an 1991 SP36, but (knock wood) haven't needed to do alternator troubleshooting, so maybe you won't mind if I try to tag along and learn?

I would guess the alternator was charging when you bought the coach, yes?You would see it charging on two or three dashboard gauges:
  • Alternator Charger Amps
  • DC Volts Coach
  • DC Volts Engine

What has changed since you saw the alternator working? You mentioned it hasn't been used in a while. Do you know if the previous owner (PO) had work done on it, alternator or anything? Any maintenance or rummaging around where alternator wiring might have been affected?

Speaking of maintenance, have you checked to see if the alternator belt is tight and turning the alternator pulley? You would undo the 8 nuts on the rear bumper, and lift the bumper off and out of the way, and then undo two bolts that secure the radiator shut (radiator is hinged on the right--it opens for access to belts and 'front' of engine--be aware of a wire on the tank atop the radiatior (coolant level sensor) and the upper and lower radiator hoses, treat them with deference when opening or closing.

You also might be able to see the alternator turning with the engine, if you look in through the louvered doors. Hard to tell in the low light of the engine bay, fer sure, but maybe with a bright flashlight...

How did you determine that the alternator is not charging? I shopuld mention that coaches often have battery shut-offs to isolate the batteries against phantom loads and drainage when not in regular use. If they are shut off, you won't see any activity on the dashboard gauges. Look in the battery bay and near the engine starting batteries to find these, they'd be connected to battery cables. They can be anywhere, but ya gotta start somewhere, right?

Do you have any diagrams of the coach electrical? LOTS of fuses, relays, etc in a Wanderlodge, but many problem solutions are as simple as cleaning a dirty ground connection. A diagram showing the alternator circuits would help you find a fuse, fusible link, ground strap, or any of the typical alternator gremlins that can affect charging.

You sound like you want to see some travel action soon. 'Tis the season, I agree. Well, one of the seasons, anyway.

--Ned
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-16-2013
Administrator

watch the alt, & amp gage on the dash, notice if they increase when plugged in & charging from shore power.
Old 06-16-2013
Forum owner

James,is the the coach that was in Mass.?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-16-2013

Default not charging

Yes it was in Mass sounds like you may know the bus I have owned for 3 weeks and know very little about the bus but I do love it and can not wait to enjoy thank you for responding I am sure its something small
Old 06-16-2013
Forum owner

I just know it was for sale,and one of our members here looked it over.
It sounds like a project.
we are here to help,good luck.
Do what Ned said first!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-16-2013

Default not charging

I have done all of that I have cleaned up new batteries and I have no power at the alt all batteries are full charged
Old 06-16-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
I have done all of that I have cleaned up new batteries and I have no power at the alt all batteries are full charged
There should be 12 volts on the big alternator lug (always, running or not), if no voltage then there is a bad cable, connection, or a mystery switch somewhere. Normally the alternator has a direct line to the coach side common positive junction connecting the amp meter shunt to the batteries). That way the battery current is measured by the shunt (charging or discharging)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-16-2013

If this coach has a battery isolator as our 89 does, you may not read voltage on the alternator with the engine off. I have not checked mine, but the diodes in the battery isolator will not let voltage back to the alternator. The 1990 SP might be different, because I think the 91 does not have a battery isolator. My battery isolator is located in the coach battery compartment (front roadside compartment), on the right wall towards the top. It has three posts, one post for each battery bank, and one post for the alternator/charger system. This would be a good place to check voltages while the engine is running. Dash gauges should also indicate charging.

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 06-16-2013
Forum owner

A wire may have been left unhooked when the batteries were changed..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com