Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-08-2014

Default Fuel Additives

Have a question. I purchased the Lucas fuel additive. Went to put it in my tank and there is a decal on the flap that says "This vehicle equipped with a Racor fuel filter. Do not use fuel additives". Does this include the Lucas product and things like that, or what does this mean? My thinking is that the products back in 1981 are not like what is available today.

Thanks
Rodney, Ontario
Old 09-08-2014
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
Have a question. I purchased the Lucas fuel additive. Went to put it in my tank and there is a decal on the flap that says "This vehicle equipped with a Racor fuel filter. Do not use fuel additives". Does this include the Lucas product and things like that, or what does this mean? My thinking is that the products back in 1981 are not like what is available today.

Thanks
I've got the best fuel additive money can buy! It's called "N0n3". I've used "N0n3" for over 35 years now and I can't begin to tell you the results! "N0n3" has been a savior! I've gotten consistent MPG using "N0n3" and the engine always starts first crank! I've even looked at the CAT specs and it also suggested using "N0n3"!
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 09-08-2014

Richard, if you look far and wide you will be hard pressed to find any large commercial trucking, bus, or construction machinery owners that use fuel or oil additives. If additives worked fleet operators could save LOTS of money. They have the staff, machinery, and technical support to evaluate these products.

The result: they don't use additives because they don't work, period. In fact they are more likely to make your fuel or oil chemistry WORSE.

Follow the smart money and stay away from additives. Maybe some injector cleaner once a year. Otherwise the rest is snake oil and marketing hype targeting suckers.
Old 09-10-2014

FWIW: I do like to run a biocide for algae. I run BioBor JF.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 09-10-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
Richard, if you look far and wide you will be hard pressed to find any large commercial trucking, bus, or construction machinery owners that use fuel or oil additives. If additives worked fleet operators could save LOTS of money. They have the staff, machinery, and technical support to evaluate these products.

The result: they don't use additives because they don't work, period. In fact they are more likely to make your fuel or oil chemistry WORSE.

Follow the smart money and stay away from additives. Maybe some injector cleaner once a year. Otherwise the rest is snake oil and marketing hype targeting suckers.
No teeth to the argument older engines were designed to operate on pre low sulphur fuel that had needed lubricants and additives include the needed lubricants?

This topic has been discussed a lot here.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 09-10-2014

Google "Detroit Diesel Fuel Additives" and the first listing will be a Detroit Diesel pdf file with the OEM fuel and oil recommendations for all of their engine series. There is about 50 pages of information.

Regarding fuel additives: "The regular use of supplemental fuel additives is not required or recommended." Section 5.3 goes on in some detail about additives, but in general advises against them. Much the same with oil additives.

Detroit put a lot of time and money into their engineering so I'm inclined to defer to their expertise. Plus I believe that additives are engineered to do little more than liberate money from wallets...

Just my two cents

Last edited by Labrador; 09-11-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: detail
Old 09-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
Regarding fuel additives: "The regular use of supplemental fuel additives is not required or recommended." Section 5.3 goes on in some detail about additives, but in general advises against them. Much the same with oil additives.

Detroit put a lot to time and money into their engineering so I'm inclined to defer to their expertise. Plus I believe that additives are engineered to do little more than liberate money from wallets...

Just my two cents
Correct and the CAT manuals say the same thing, additives are NOT recommended.

As far as running biocide for algae I'd be careful there too! The only thing worse than algae in your tank is DEAD algae! Dead algae breaks down and comes loose and now is in your fuel and clogs up your filters. Keep your fuel tanks full to eliminate air and that alone should help deal with algae. It's like having a bees nest on your porch.. sure.. it's there. It may bother you but you could live years with it there and no issues. BUT, once you swat it with a stick THEN your issues really start!
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 09-10-2014
Resident Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
FWIW: I do like to run a biocide for algae. I run BioBor JF.
I do too...but only when it is going to sit for several months!

Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 09-10-2014

Wasn't it Shane who put some of that in his tank in Arizona then had to change filters every 200 miles all the way back to Hershey? Then he had to setup a filter system to recirculate all the fuel in the tank over and over until it was clean.

Ask how much money was spent doing that, the time it took, and the PITA it was.
Old 09-10-2014

I use biobor JF in the wintertime and always keep a full-up tank.

When my 8v92 has sat for a while, it always cranks on the first time, with little or no smoke by flipping on the electric engine heater 2-3 hours prior to start-up when the ambient temperature is 60 degrees or lower. An hour or so even in the summertime. When it gets well below freezing, I will keep my engine heater on all night.

Cold engine, less than a full tank of fuel, cold weather equals condensation. We don't need condensation in our engines.