Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-22-2014

Default Working on the Generator

Getting read for our Fall Trip I thought Id look for a slow air leak, the front goes down overnight. Not bad but annoying.

I made some ramps from 2x12's so I could get under the bus and started looking with my whisper leak finder. Looked for a while, but no luck ;{

While under the gen I noticed the coolant hoses where weeping coolant. Bummer, time to change them...

I had some hose already so drained the coolant and removed the old hoses. They were bad, with cracks in lots of places.

While there I took a look at that miserable little fan at the back of the gen slide. It was bad too. ;{

If you know that fan you know its a real PITA to get to. Easiest to remove the gen slide and replace it, but I sure didnt want to do that! With some help I got the fan off and checked it out. Bearing were dry. Sticker says to lube every 6 months. Right. You cant lube it till its removed, and once you get it off its real real hard to put back!

I looked at that thing and thought Id just loose the squirrel cage part and stick some little axial fans in its place.
Out came the sawzall and I chopped that blower housing up, bent it till I could screw the little fans on and put it back.

With the end open it was (sort of) easy to get it bolted in, then the fans were screwed on from the back side.

Now I have 2 AC box fans that I can replace if needed a lot easier than that squirrel cage blower.

Question is, what is that blower for anyway? Its not big enough to cool the generator or gen engine. It only blows into the compartment, not directly on the gen armature. I dont know how long it was dead, so dont know how long the gen ran without it. I do know that I ran that gen for long times in hot weather and never had a problem show up.

Heres some photos...

First is where the old blower was attached
2nd, new fans
3rd, new fans with gen tray extended
4 & 5, new hoses

/Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140915_120432.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	31815   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140915_131713.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	31816   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140915_131626.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	31817   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_092742.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	31818   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_092830.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	31819  

'93 WB40, Alligator - FOR SALE!
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 10-03-2014
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
Getting read for our Fall Trip I thought Id look for a slow air leak, the front goes down overnight. Not bad but annoying.

I made some ramps from 2x12's so I could get under the bus and started looking with my whisper leak finder. Looked for a while, but no luck ;{

While under the gen I noticed the coolant hoses where weeping coolant. Bummer, time to change them...

I had some hose already so drained the coolant and removed the old hoses. They were bad, with cracks in lots of places.

While there I took a look at that miserable little fan at the back of the gen slide. It was bad too. ;{

If you know that fan you know its a real PITA to get to. Easiest to remove the gen slide and replace it, but I sure didnt want to do that! With some help I got the fan off and checked it out. Bearing were dry. Sticker says to lube every 6 months. Right. You cant lube it till its removed, and once you get it off its real real hard to put back!

I looked at that thing and thought Id just loose the squirrel cage part and stick some little axial fans in its place.
Out came the sawzall and I chopped that blower housing up, bent it till I could screw the little fans on and put it back.

With the end open it was (sort of) easy to get it bolted in, then the fans were screwed on from the back side.

Now I have 2 AC box fans that I can replace if needed a lot easier than that squirrel cage blower.

Question is, what is that blower for anyway? Its not big enough to cool the generator or gen engine. It only blows into the compartment, not directly on the gen armature. I dont know how long it was dead, so dont know how long the gen ran without it. I do know that I ran that gen for long times in hot weather and never had a problem show up.

Heres some photos...

First is where the old blower was attached
2nd, new fans
3rd, new fans with gen tray extended
4 & 5, new hoses

/Joe
Hi Joe,

Here’s what my printed copy of the PTS-15 Powertech Manual says about why the generator compartment needs a fan:

If the radiator is to be located in a compartment separate from the engine, refer to the engine combustion air and heat rejection requirements of the alternator and engine block when designing the cooling system. A supplemental cooling fan capable of 1000 cfm (28.32 m3/min) should be installed to supply air to the generator compartment for these requirements.

BUT... the on-line copy of the PTS-15 Powertech Manual says:

If the radiator is to be located in a compartment separate from the engine, refer to the engine combustion air and heat rejection requirements of the generator and engine block when designing the cooling system. A supplemental cooling fan capable of 500 cfm (28.m³/min) should be installed to supply air to the generator compartment for these requirements.

I don't know which cfm is correct but it’s obvious that the on-line manual is wrong on at least one point because 500 cfm is only 14 m³/min.

I sent a question to Powertech about this so I'll post an update when I hear back from them.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 10-04-2014

Hi John,

Ya, I saw that info in the manuals, also one other spot where they wanted TWO 465 cfm blowers!

The one on ours is rated at 450 cfm. The little axial fans I put in are about 100 cfm each. Not enough according to Powertech...

I would have put in a larger one, but thats what I had on hand. Maybe when I get back I'll put in some 6" ones, about 250cfm each, or an 8" one, about 650cfm. I'll use nutplates or something like that so the fan is maintainable, unlike the blower thats there!

Id guess that most of the blowers on these gens dont work anyway, and would like to know what the % of failure is after 20 or so years ;}

Be interesting to hear what PT has to say...

Thanks, Joe

ps, you going to WOG??

Sedona, AZ
Old 10-04-2014

Thanks for the info Joe. The pictures really help...Guess what I plan on doing today?

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 10-04-2014

Did you find muffin fans that can live in an exterior wet atmosphere?
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 10-05-2014

HA!

Not really, but I figure the axial fans are better than the blower ;}

The blower is just as exposed, and the motor is more open to the elements...
AND, its a lot easier to change out those little muffin fans...

One other thing on that blower, it sucks air right over the exhaust pipe of the gen. Not a good place to get air to cool something!

/Joe

Sedona, AZ
Old 10-22-2014

Figure this is a good thread to tie into. I've got the MH15 PowerTech generator like lots of others. Mine will start and run great but shut off for some unknown reason. Oil pressure is good, no sign of overheating. It appears that the fuel shut off solenoid is losing power on the "hold-on" wire. It'll shut down after anywhere from 10 minutes of running to 1 1/2 hours of running.

Does anyone have a diagram of how many sensors are in the protection circuit and how they are wired? If I'm looking at it right, there is both a temperature sending unit (for the gauge), and a separate over-temp sensor. Are both in the shut down circuit?

Does anyone have part numbers for the sending unit and the over-temp sensor? I'm suspicious of the over-temp sensor because the inside part is not tight to the outside housing. The temp gauge doesn't work so I know I need the sending unit for sure.

Anyone have a service manual for these gen-sets?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2014

Hi Joe,

There are some manuals in the files section, or you can go direct to Power Tech...

http://powertech.myshopify.com/pages/manuals

HTH, Joe

See you at Q!!

Sedona, AZ
Old 10-22-2014
Resident Rookie

Joe,
If you can't get amanual from Powertech I will dig mine out and copy it for you.

Bob J.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 10-22-2014
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Joe, the over temp sensor can be in front or back of the engine. One wire and you can unplug it to see if that is the problem. I am not sure if the oil pressure works the same way or not.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com