Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-28-2015
GregBryantSr's Avatar
GregBryantSr GregBryantSr is offline
Tired and now Retired!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Default Tucson/Phoenix electrical needs

We are on our trip from FL to CA.
We are in Wilcox AZ heading thru Tucson and Phoenix.
Currently when we power up the middle AC it pegs Leg1 running off the gen.
We now have it shut off.
The rear AC periodically shuts off.
When we were at a park in TX we had all 3 AC's running with no problems plugged into 50A.
The problems seem to have occurred after switching to the gen.
Leg1 and Leg2 show about 110v.
With the front on, Leg1 shows 18a and Leg2 shows 2a.
With the rear on, Leg2 goes up to about 20a.
Last night the rear ran all night, but now it runs for a while and then stops.
No breakers are tripped.
The front and middle are penguin II about 2 years old.
The rear is also a penguin about year old.

Not sure if it is related, but the domestic NDR1292 does not cool worth anything while traveling.
Put a fan in the outside to blow air at the coils and it seems to help when parked, but not much when moving.

I need the name of a good shop in Tucson or Phoenix to take the Bird to have the electrical system analyzed.

Thanks,
Greg

9046123878
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
__________________
Greg Bryant
2018 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (B-Hemoth)
Green Cove Springs, FL.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-29-2015
curtsprenger's Avatar
curtsprenger curtsprenger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
We are on our trip from FL to CA.
We are in Wilcox AZ heading thru Tucson and Phoenix.
Currently when we power up the middle AC it pegs Leg1 running off the gen.
We now have it shut off.
The rear AC periodically shuts off.
When we were at a park in TX we had all 3 AC's running with no problems plugged into 50A.
The problems seem to have occurred after switching to the gen.
Leg1 and Leg2 show about 110v.
With the front on, Leg1 shows 18a and Leg2 shows 2a.
With the rear on, Leg2 goes up to about 20a.
Last night the rear ran all night, but now it runs for a while and then stops.
No breakers are tripped.
The front and middle are penguin II about 2 years old.
The rear is also a penguin about year old.

Not sure if it is related, but the domestic NDR1292 does not cool worth anything while traveling.
Put a fan in the outside to blow air at the coils and it seems to help when parked, but not much when moving.

I need the name of a good shop in Tucson or Phoenix to take the Bird to have the electrical system analyzed.

Thanks,
Greg

9046123878
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
Greg, I installed 3 computer fans just under the frig upper vent. They are DPDT, ON, OFF, or Snap Disc. Last week in 110 degree temps frig cooled to below freezing...had to shut down one fan to keep from freezing.
__________________
Curt Sprenger

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2015
GregBryantSr's Avatar
GregBryantSr GregBryantSr is offline
Tired and now Retired!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Greg, I installed 3 computer fans just under the frig upper vent. They are DPDT, ON, OFF, or Snap Disc. Last week in 110 degree temps frig cooled to below freezing...had to shut down one fan to keep from freezing.
Curt,
Does this require removal of the frig?
This is obviously above my pay grade, but I can do it if I have pics or good instructions.
Thanks for the reply!
__________________
Greg Bryant
2018 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (B-Hemoth)
Green Cove Springs, FL.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-29-2015
curtsprenger's Avatar
curtsprenger curtsprenger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
Curt,
Does this require removal of the frig?
This is obviously above my pay grade, but I can do it if I have pics or good instructions.
Thanks for the reply!
Our coach is 1987. Did not remove the frig. Just removed the frig top (out side) roof vent. Installed the fan(s) at the top, and drop the wiring down behind the frig to the bus side outside access panel/vent. Made a plate to mount in that area that holds the switches and snap disc(s). Took some time but pretty straight forward.
__________________
Curt Sprenger

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2015
GregBryantSr's Avatar
GregBryantSr GregBryantSr is offline
Tired and now Retired!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Our coach is 1987. Did not remove the frig. Just removed the frig top (out side) roof vent. Installed the fan(s) at the top, and drop the wiring down behind the frig to the bus side outside access panel/vent. Made a plate to mount in that area that holds the switches and snap disc(s). Took some time but pretty straight forward.
Thanks Curt.
This I can do, but will probably wait till we get to CA.

Now I need a shop to diagnose the AC issue.
If you or anyone knows of a good shop in Tucson, Phoenix or the San Francisco Bay area please let me know.
__________________
Greg Bryant
2018 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (B-Hemoth)
Green Cove Springs, FL.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2015
curtsprenger's Avatar
curtsprenger curtsprenger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 4,034
Default

I sent a shout out to Mike Putz and Dave Ward. Hope you hear from them.
__________________
Curt Sprenger

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2015
MRPutz's Avatar
MRPutz MRPutz is offline
Burnin Up in Az. :-)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa
Posts: 4,221
Default

email sent...
__________________
Michael & Tami Putz
78FC35SB & 83FC35SB Wanderlodge - "Putz'n Around"
'90 GL1500 Goldwing | '67 VW Rail | '82 CJ5 Jeep
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2015
MRPutz's Avatar
MRPutz MRPutz is offline
Burnin Up in Az. :-)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa
Posts: 4,221
Default

Talked with Greg on the phone, he's going to call Jeff after 8am today.

On the fridge 2 things;

Short term fix;
He's running on 110v electric, I suggested he get some LP and try running the unit on gas. Typically these ammonia systems run much better on gas. He's already added a temporary fan for the unit.

Long term fix;
Wanderlodge did not install most the 70's & 80's fridges correctly causing them to be less efficient. Not sure on those larger 90's double wide's but something to check.

Most units need tight spaces between the cooling fins on the back and the back wall. This forces the air thru the fins and aids in cooling. Wanderlodge left too much space back there and the air does not cool the fins as well, but simply bypasses it.

You can also add vertical baffles to aid in cooling. Here are some diagrams to aid in your modification. Notice also the dead space above the fridge is blocked off, this helps the flow of exhaust air out your vent.

I would do these mods THEN add fans for additional cooling. Fans alone kind of Band-Aid the design issue and can be a hit or miss solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badvent1.gif
Views:	158
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	37079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gvent1.gif
Views:	178
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	37080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gvent2.gif
Views:	158
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	37081  
__________________
Michael & Tami Putz
78FC35SB & 83FC35SB Wanderlodge - "Putz'n Around"
'90 GL1500 Goldwing | '67 VW Rail | '82 CJ5 Jeep
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2015
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 7,027
Default

Not disagreeing with you on this Mike, because I know a lot of people have added fans or done the setup you illustrated from Tom Warner, or both. But Greg has the same set up as mine and mine works just fine. But I run mine on gas and not electric traveling then to electric when hooked up. You are also correct that they work better on gas. Maybe Greg's issue is not enough output on the generator? Not enough to run the A.C. and maybe not enough for the fridge? Greg, said he only seems to have issues when using the generator. Just a thought.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-2015
GregBryantSr's Avatar
GregBryantSr GregBryantSr is offline
Tired and now Retired!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Not disagreeing with you on this Mike, because I know a lot of people have added fans or done the setup you illustrated from Tom Warner, or both. But Greg has the same set up as mine and mine works just fine. But I run mine on gas and not electric traveling then to electric when hooked up. You are also correct that they work better on gas. Maybe Greg's issue is not enough output on the generator? Not enough to run the A.C. and maybe not enough for the fridge? Greg, said he only seems to have issues when using the generator. Just a thought.
Jim,
The frig issue did not start until traveling in the warmer climates. Or should I say HOT!
We are seriously considering a house frig since we are now full timing.
We really don't want to use propane.
Rebecca does not like the smell when cooking and having to open the upper vent, which for her is hard being 5'2"
I understand the issue may be resolved by propane and that may be the short term solution.
I will make some calls first.

We really appreciate the help from everyone.
The WOG is the main reason we chose a Bird!
__________________
Greg Bryant
2018 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (B-Hemoth)
Green Cove Springs, FL.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tucson Az. Randy Dupree Under The Awning 3 03-23-2015 12:41 PM
Need Help in Tucson Please.... Jeanne Coaches For Sale by WOG Members 8 11-04-2014 10:40 PM
Looking for Tucson recommendations inflt Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics 4 10-01-2013 05:40 PM
84 FC35 in Tucson $29.5k OBO fishfarm Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds 0 02-27-2010 08:57 PM
Tucson 1derer Generators 2 12-14-2009 10:23 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.