Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 01-27-2009

Default master brake cylinder 74 gasser

I'm doing a little research and would appreciate any help. My questions are: How hard would be to find a master cylinder for a 1974 Bird (gas job) with a 577 industrial (ford) engine?
Where could I call about one?
And, if it can be had, ball park (aprox) cost for it?
Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Snowbound, Cold and still a Wannabe
Old 01-27-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default master cylinder

Hi Jerry,

I replaced the master cylinder in a 73 FC-31 that I owned about 15 years ago. It was an ordeal to cross the old number to a current number but I finally came up with a good number and I bought one from a local ford dealer. It appeared to be an exact replacement. It was about $175 back then. I may still have the part number at home but I won't be home for a month or two. Just another pointer, I had to replace both brake boosters while I owned that coach and they were hard to find as well - they were Bosch if I remember correctly and also cost about $200 each back then - I may have those numbers also but I'm not sure.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 01-27-2009

You need to find a good truck brake supplier, one that has been in business for a long time and has some service capability. Chances are the exisisting master can be honed out and resealed. The apply shaft is adjustable and you can get in a world of hurt if you lose the adjustment. Some preload is required against the master cylinder piston if one would like a good pedal. Too much preload the brakes won't release, too little and you will be pumping the pedal a lot to stop. Air brakes are a lot better deal.
The engine is either a 477 or 534 cu. in. Both are real tough to find any parts for.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-28-2009

Thanks Mike and John..... I mistakenly wrote 577..., you are correct, it is a 477. I was just toying with an idea regarding an old 1974 BB. It would be a terrific restoration project but everything I look into tells me to forget it. Bad idea!
A BB of the 80's vintage would be difficult enough so a 70's Bird would be a real money pit.
Half the fun of doing a restoration, is chasing down the parts. At least it was for me with a few old cars I have restored. But there is a point when you are banging your head against a wall with certain machines and I think this may be one of them!
I thank you both for your response.
Jerry
Old 02-02-2009
Medicup

I just replaced mine at a cost of $135 for a rebuilt unit. can get you the part# or the name/number of my supplier if you want it.