Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 03-20-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Need a part made, for that Classic 'Bird of yours?

Here is an very interesting video that I heard about from Curt Sprenger, that could be an answer to some of our 'Birds parts that will be hard to find in the future. This is not for the average 'Bird owner, but if a business that has this equipment could be contracted by a 'Bird owner to make that unobtanium part, this could be the answer. I have no idea of the cost of getting parts made this way, but it is a very interesting concept, so check out the video from Jay Leno's Garage;
http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/498ebd00a62edaa0/47fe70d4555df05a/9e46bd46/-cpid/ba4377d3bfd6c81

Next Engine 3-D Scanner;
https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm

3D printer for rapid prototyping
Dimension Printing
http://www.dimensionprinting.com/

Most design decisions are made up-front in the design process. Typically the first 10% of the product development process affects about 80% of the products total cost. These decisions are made during the initial or concept stage of the development process.

Thanks Curt!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-20-2009

WOW!!

That is amazing!!

Made in America also!!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-20-2009

I want it!
If we had some serious commitment, that's a polite way of saying money, we could spin off all sorts of products.
Other than our coaches I can think of only a few thousand things you can do with this machine.
Watch the Jay Leno video, when he sez it's like the Jetsons, ( that’s an old cartoon series for you youngsters ) He wasn't kidding. An adjustable wrench pops out of the 3D printer, completed, assembled, and functional.
We laughed at ourselves over Dick Tracy’s wrist watch phone & video, now it is reality, Now the Jetsons, I'm still waiting for my Jet Pack so I can fly over to the pub! L.O.L.
I have spent my life making one of a kind products, mostly by hand, This scanner and printer at this price, is the first high tech. gizmo to come down the pike that I would consider purchasing after only watching the video once. I can also hear the bells tolling for some of the last true master craftsmen.
Exciting and sad at the same time.
Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC

Last edited by Bumpersbird; 03-20-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2009

In one of the labs at work, I have SolidWorks 3-dimensional solid modeling coupled with the Dimension Rapid prototyping, along with a 4-axis CNC mill and a CNC lathe. I don't have the 3D scanning system. But, that is on my wish list.

An antique model car hobbyist came to us last month because one of his very rare metal car models has a cracked transmission case with a broken gear. I set him up with one of the guys to model the parts and then print the parts on the Dimension out of polymer resin. He will get enough strength out of the printed parts for his needs. It would have been cost prohibitive to have machined them. When it is all done they are going to do a feature article in one of the modeling magazines.

Gotta go price that 3D scanner

Glenn
Old 03-21-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGster View Post
In one of the labs at work, I have SolidWorks 3-dimensional solid modeling coupled with the Dimension Rapid prototyping, along with a 4-axis CNC mill and a CNC lathe. I don't have the 3D scanning system. But, that is on my wish list.

An antique model car hobbyist came to us last month because one of his very rare metal car models has a cracked transmission case with a broken gear. I set him up with one of the guys to model the parts and then print the parts on the Dimension out of polymer resin. He will get enough strength out of the printed parts for his needs. It would have been cost prohibitive to have machined them. When it is all done they are going to do a feature article in one of the modeling magazines.

Gotta go price that 3D scanner

Glenn

Next Engine 3-D Scanner;
https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm

$2995.00

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-21-2009
Forum Moderator

That is really cool technology. I've watched the video twice and still am amazed but then I still get a kick out of a slinky
Old 03-21-2009

That is absolutely amazing technology! I can't wait to see how advanced those systems will be in the next couple of years!
Linden, Michigan
Old 03-21-2009
Forum Moderator

In a few years they will be making the part directly rather than a plastic copy. Amazing
Old 03-23-2009
Gardner

I think on Startrek they called it a 'replicator'.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey