Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 03-04-2017

Default What road route would be best to drive

Will be taking a long trip from FL to WA state soon.
Would like to be in WA by June sometime. Will be stopping on the coast in Fl, Ms, and Tx for some fishing and visiting friends and family then on to WA.
Would be nice to see the grand canyon but would like to stay away from any hard to drive roads with steep grades.

I am using the Coachnet map program and I made a few maps.

What would be the best route to go to avoid the steepest and large mountains and see some cool things on the way.

This first map would give us the best opportunity to stay places in our TT membership all the way up but it looks like it has the most mountains to climb.
How bad is that driving up them if we are in no rush? This will be our first time going out this way.

Also, any other suggestions would be great we are waiting for our Thousand Trails membership number should have it in the next week so staying in any of their parks will save us a lot of money we will have access to all 81 parks.
I need to work on another map including all the TT parks on the way and see how that works out to.

(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 03-04-2017

Even though you seem locked in on TT, pick up an app called Allstays for about $10. It has lots of info in addition to CG's. For example, if you're concerned about grades use the Run-Aways and Grade filters to see all the pretty red & yellow markers along your planned routes. Unfortunately, many of the busiest places out west like the Grand Canyon need reservations made 6 months BEFORE your planned arrival date. Some like Yellowstone are 12 months in advance . Again, all of that info is linked in the Allstays app. Another handy app is Google Earth. From Allstays, I pull the Lat/Long CG info for a place I'm considering then check out the available sites before booking. With a Geezer card (still only $10 for life once you turn 62), having sites booked ahead of time at the big name parks and some smaller ones too saves $$. Good luck with your planning!
Old 03-04-2017

Hi Ed
Looking at your maps it looks like you haven't got the Oregon coast on your trip yet!
There are ways to save if you don't need to stay at an RV Park or can boondock. Wog members along the route somewhere etc
I say that, but so far few have stopped in on their travels.
I have a spot to park with water and electric. I am about 10 miles off the I-5 just South of Roseburg. Hwy 42, on the way to Coos Bay or Bandon, is just 2 miles from my place.
Anyway good luck with your travels as your plans emerge!
I spent the winter here and not warmer, South...so am hoping to get some travel in myself this summer!
Looks like utah has a lot of your TT parks. Dont forget free stays on BLM land up to 14 days if you boondock
Enjoy

Rose Mary
82 turbo FC 35
JP's White Bird
SW Oregon

Last edited by Rose Mary; 03-04-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2017

Ed, on numerous trips in and out of the northwest I have marveled at the beauty while trying not to drive off the side of the road either off a cliff or into a mtn. Moral being you will not be in Kansas anymore...

I can't quite tell where in WA your final destination is so I am ASSuming tri-cities. You may want to look at 395 through oregon, eastern side of the mtn. However getting to 395 in CA may be more mountainous then I remember, maybe someone else can chime in on that. The eastern route from Idaho is not too bad as far as hills but there is one small one just east of Pendleton we call cabbage hill be sure your brakes are good.....and check the weather.
My best advice is don't worry be happy and enjoy the ride, no matter how hard you try you will not miss mtns.
Old 03-04-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Ed, I can't help on routing, but I would suggest you widen you search of RV parks. a few suggestions.
Assuming you are old enough, get the senior pass as suggested
recreation.gov gives you a list and search of half price federal parks and some are super nice.
Passportamerica.com/, is discount park list, can pay for its self in one stay.
http://escapees.com/ is another discount option

www.rvparky.com
is a really neat app, to search with a variety of filter to find what every you may be looking for, including rest areas.

www.rvparkreviews.com is one of our favorite review sites. Kinda got to read between the lines, but can really give you a heads on problem parks.

And finally, Overhead view in google earth can give you and idea or how to get into a park, roads leading in, and even street view to get an idea of the location. You do not want to get on a one way road with no way to turn around.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-04-2017
Gardner

The Mountain Directory books cover the majority of mountain passes both East and West. Good to have when planning trips. Helps avoid big mistakes on road choice.

http://www.mountaindirectory.com/
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-04-2017

Ed,

Some may disagree, but if your coach is in good enough condition to consider a trip from Florida to the north west then any road with enough clearance (width & height) should be OK. Just go UP as fast or slow as the bus will go and DOWN slowly. Watch the flowers grow and you should not have problems. If the water temperature should rise, just pull over and let it cool.

This has been our plan for over 200,000 miles in coaches from SP-36 to 43'LXI. A lot of great things to see on "the road less traveled". Just one persons opinion.
Old 03-04-2017

Ed:

I am originally from Alabama and have lived in Washington for the past 46 years. To get here from there you HAVE to go over mountains. No big deal. I have made the trip many times and there are many different routes, each preferred by someone. My suggestion is to plan what you would like to see and figure out a route to get there. You won't get up the mountain too fast but just make sure you don't get down the mountain too fast.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 03-04-2017

We are going to Prossor WA area.
Only 55 so not at the age to get the park deal yet.
(352) 277-1494

1992 WLWB
Old 03-05-2017

Ok a new one this hits 15 TT parks we can stay at on the way to save money.

(352) 277-1494

1992 WLWB