Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 01-03-2018

Default Goodyear tire problems

U.S. safety regulators are investigating whether some older Goodyear motor home tires can fail and cause crashes and possibly deaths.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it began the probe after a court ordered the release of Goodyear data from lawsuits, which had been sealed under court orders and confidential settlement agreements.

According to the data, the G159 tires failed while in use, resulting in deaths and injuries. The agency says in documents posted Jan. 1 that the number of claims suggests the failures could be caused by a safety defect. Goodyear wasn't required to report many of the claims to NHTSA under federal law.

The investigation covers about 40,000 tires from 1996 to 2003.

The agency also received 10 complaints of tire failure, including two that caused crashes. The documents say Goodyear reported nine claims to the agency involving one death and 13 injuries. Some of those filing claims allege the G159 tires were not designed for extended highway use on motor homes.

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. said Tuesday in a statement that it will fully cooperate with the investigation.
Old 01-03-2018
Forum owner

1996 to 2003?
How many could possibly be still on the road?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-03-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
1996 to 2003?
How many could possibly be still on the road?
Well NONE from our well informed, and educated group!

Just bought my grandson a car from Prescott and had the wife drive it back to Mesa down the hill. Car salesman said the tires were like new. They were, like new, but 8 years old and weather checked. I put on 4 new tires to his dismay before I let my wife driven down the 7% curvy highway back home.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 01-03-2018

My PT came with two G-159's on the steer position and they wore terribly along the outer and inner shoulders...even at 115 PSI. I finally pulled them off after only 4 years and kept one as a spare until the new ones were switched out. Their irregular wear pattern is when sent me into Michelin 315's on the steer.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-03-2018
Forum owner

i had them on a 2000 ford F650,they had terrible wear characteristics.
I was at the local tire shop one day and was talking to the alignment guy,he told me the school buses came with those tires,they also cupped and rivered.
While i was there the goodyear sales guy came in,i pointed out the tires,he told me my alignment was bad.
I told him not to pee on my leg and tell me its raining!
I put a set of Michelins on it and it cured the alignment somehow?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-03-2018

Talking

Pee on your leg..... halirious
Old 01-04-2018
AKA Tent Boy

Back in 2006, I had just bought the 84FCSB, from a woman in CT, it had 4 year Goodyear G159's on the steers... A month later I went to Key West for a week and on the return, 20 miles from my storage facility, I had a blow out on the left front tire, which was a surprise!!! Accelerated to keep under control and brought it to a stop, called coach net, got the tire replaced and drove to storage...
The following week went and had all six changed to B F Goodrich...
I will never buy another goodyear tire, ever!!!
I was surprised when the road tire guy wanted the tire, I told he can have it!!!

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 01-04-2018

My wife just sat on the side of the road today for a few hours as she was driving our tow car with Goodyear tires less than a month old and two of them blew out at once. Walmart replaced them.
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 01-04-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I've driven buses now for over 35 years and when younger couldn't afford to buy expensive tires and still don't to this day. I started out with bus conversions so I've seen a lot, heard a lot. I started making notes to myself years ago and they have served me well. I don't have specific stories but when I hear some good ones all about the same tire I make a note. Here's my tire notes;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire notes.GIF
Views:	84
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	53203  
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by MRPutz; 01-04-2018 at 09:46 AM.