Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History

Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History Here's where you can find information related to Blue Bird history. If you have Historical information such as brochures, pictures, advertisements, etc. this is the place to upload them.

Site Search:

Old 01-01-2019

Wow those threads are informative. Alpines have independent air valves in the front, and the rears are equalized.
Sounds like loading the 380 requires a bit of thought as to where the heavy stuff goes. Definitely need the 315's on the front with 9" wheels.
Few questions:

1. Only 88 380's made?
2. Did I read correctly that the 450's have only three jacks because of twisting and the 380 has problems with twisting also at times, but uses 4 jacks?
3. Does the LXi have three jacks also?

Tom and Patty
Hannah the "Big Dog"
and Abby the cat.
2005 M450 LXI
Alpine 2000 36 FDS
Old 01-01-2019

Not sure, but thought that somewhere over 100 M 380’s were made.

Had my M 380 for over 5 years and over 80,000 miles. Parked several times with front end over 1 ft off the ground, no problem with twist.

LXI has 4 jacks like all the other Birds I am familiar with.
Old 01-01-2019

Tom

The M380 carries everything we require. But one does need to be thoughtful about what’s carried and where it’s stowed. A big issue with the original M380 front tires was blowouts due to high pressures that were needed to carry a near max capacity load on its original 12R’s. Even without changing to 9” rims, 315’s on the front fixed that problem. With those and the rear 295’s, per the Michelin factory chart I can run with lower tire pressures all around. That improves reliability as well as ride. Reducing the weight carried over the front axle with my battery project helped even more.

When I was doing my “last coach” shopping, I wanted a newer sub-40’ luxury coach with lots of people space for 2 in a super strong platform that loved off-grid camping. Larger luxo BB models are awesome, but the’yre designed around FHU’s and they do not fit in many of the smaller/tighter National Forest CG’s, State Parks and Dispersed areas we frequent. Until recently, stick & plastic builders weren’t addressing this smaller upscale coach market, and even now their solutions are still highly FHU dependent. My solution was to purchase the strongest best built coach I could find (any Wanderlodge ) and then turn it into one that meets my needs. Because I selected a newer generation BB, the result is a coach that blends perfectly with the Luxury Coach Resort crowd. However, it also has hidden boondocking ability that makes it perfectly at home in the remotest yet accessible dispersed camping sites

I can’t answer your M450 or LXi questions. Yes about that on the number of M380’s built. However 15 years later fewer coaches are still on-the-road due to accidents, fires and such. The M380 has 4 leveling jacks with big cylinders. It’s body/frame is amazingly ridged and strong. However, if those big jacks are manually extended individually it is possible to induce some twist. There is a warning in the Bigfoot Manual about using jacks in pairs. Whether this is intended for lighter less well built coaches or not, I do not know. That said, I almost always use Auto for jack extension and it works perfectly.
Old 01-01-2019
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRVAlpine View Post
Sounds like loading the 380 requires a bit of thought as to where the heavy stuff goes.
If you consider that the axle ratings should be much higher you probably have 5000 lbs to play with.

Quote:
Definitely need the 315's on the front with 9" wheels.
315s yes, 9" not so much. A 315 on an 8.25 gives 8,000 lbs, or 16,000 for the axle. I believe they upped that axle to over 17,000 with 9-inch wheels for the M450, again without changing the axle itself. Yes, the 8.25 inch is rated 7300 lbs, but tell me, how many times have your heard of accidents due to wheel failure? If, perchance, you have heard of one or more, what is the ratio to the failures of a tire?

Quote:
Only 88 380's made?
I've variously heard of numbers similar to that. Body numbers started at 100, and the highest that anyone has reported was 185, which would be 86 coaches if all numbers were used. That is not a given, as the numbers are completely out of order of actual build; in fact 185 is a 2003 (the Blue and Silver coach currently owned by Doug W).

I remember from an old recall that there were 140+ H4RE chassis built, but that includes express buses.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 01-01-2019

Actually our 36' Alpine measures 37'. So they are very close in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
The 252 is wonderful - 248 for an M380. When I was looking for that I ran across a copy of the sales data book, and it says the CCC is just 2089lbs. I'm reasonably sure I carried a lot more than that!

Tom and Patty
Hannah the "Big Dog"
and Abby the cat.
2005 M450 LXI
Alpine 2000 36 FDS
Old 01-01-2019

Van,

I was sure I read that the 450 had 3 jacks in the threads that you linked for me. But I could be wrong.
Does the 380 use HWH for slides and a different vendor for the jacks?

There is a 380 for sale up in Michigan. Patty and I are trying to find time to set a time to call for an appointment to see it.

The big decision is, if our almost full timing or full timing travel when I retire, will be different than how we travel now and where we stay. Now it is state parks and COE's or all the way the other side......a place like Anchor Down. Not sure a 38 will be enough room. Luckily I can continue to lurk and ask ignorant questions regarding BB's while we keep looking for the right coach. Our next coach might be the SECOND to the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
I can’t answer your M450 or LXi questions. Yes about that on the number of M380’s built. However 15 years later fewer coaches are still on-the-road due to accidents, fires and such. The M380 has 4 leveling jacks with big cylinders. It’s body/frame is amazingly ridged and strong. However, if those big jacks are manually extended individually it is possible to induce some twist. There is a warning in the Bigfoot Manual about using jacks in pairs. Whether this is intended for lighter less well built coaches or not, I do not know. That said, I almost always use Auto for jack extension and it works perfectly.

Tom and Patty
Hannah the "Big Dog"
and Abby the cat.
2005 M450 LXI
Alpine 2000 36 FDS
Old 01-01-2019
Geek

No HWH on the M380. Electric screw on the rear slide, Blue Bird air slide in front. Bigfoot jacks.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 01-01-2019
Forum owner

I have never seen a Bird with 3 jacks.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-02-2019
Forum owner

Rereading this thread made me laugh!
Just think about a bird with three jacks,just think of the holes you would punch in the ground!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-02-2019

3 jack setup would be useful but until then, on the road, I press bearings under the rear hitch.